🎭32: Silent Seeker

"There's no one who worked with Kane Son?" Winnie asked

"There's no one who worked with Kane Son?" Winnie asked. She had visited more than twelve stations to look for the person Kane talked to in the video, but not one of them admitted that they had encountered her. "Then... It wasn't a detective?" She quietly said to herself.

Feeling tired and disappointed, Winnie returned to her car to play the video again. The other person's voice was too faint, so she won't be able to recognize him even if they talked. Sighing, she leaned against her seat to rest. Winnie spent the whole day looking for that person until the sun had set. 

Winnie looked outside the window and watched as the sun went down. "I can still do this again." She slid her phone inside the pocket of her jacket on the passenger's seat and started the car. "Did Kane tell anyone about what she was working on? Was it only that person?" 

She was about to leave when she suddenly saw Swan leaving a convenience store nearby with a laptop in her hand. She wasn't wearing the usual white trousers, which seemed odd to Winnie. This time, she put on an oversized hoodie with an army print and a pair of white sneakers. It was the first time Winnie saw Swan in casual, comfortable-looking clothes. 

"Is she on her break time?" Winnie turned to the convenience store and found a purse on a table. "Is that Swan's?" She drove in Swan's direction and matched the car's speed with the latter's. Lowering the window, she called Swan's name. "You're Swan Kim, right?" 

Swan recognized Winnie and stopped walking. She removed her earbud and looked at the other in surprise. "Did you follow me?" Swan asks.

Winnie quickly turned off the engine and went down. "No, I wasn't. I was..." I shouldn't tell her where I came from. No one else should know. "I was visiting a colleague. I saw you coming out of the store. I think you left your purse over there." 

Swan furrowed her brows and sprinted back to the store. Taking with her the purse, she returned to Winnie to thank her. "That almost got me in trouble. Thanks?" She said with a bit of doubt in her voice. She didn't expect Winnie to talk to her, seeing how Winnie would avoid others from the hotel. 

"It's all right. I'm actually heading home. Do you need a ride?" Winnie asked.

"I'm not returning to the hotel yet. I still have to meet someone. Thanks for offering, though." Swan returned the earbud in her ear and continued walking. 

Winnie stood there, watching Swan walk on foot. "She's really cold. How did I manage to talk to her?" She clicked her tongue and turned to the car. 

The second she took the second step, she suddenly heard something crackle beneath her foot. She froze and moved her eyes left and right in shock. Looking down again, Winnie saw a black chip with a few pieces around it. "Oh my god," she exclaimed and bent her knees to pick them up. "What..." She looked at the chip pieces on her palm and determined what it was supposed to look like. "Isn't this a memory card?"

She looked around the place to find the possible owner. The street was too crowded. She wasn't sure who among these people owned it. "It's okay. I-I'll just have it fixed and ask around once I do." Winnie kept the pieces inside her pocket and ran to the car.

Dark was creeping in, and Winnie was on her way home with no information yet about the person Kane talked to. "What if I'm looking at the wrong place? Who else could she ask for help?" Arriving at the parking lot, she steps out of the car and heads to the main entrance.

"Two goddamn schools, Colin!" Winnie looks at the stairs and finds Triche and Colin arguing. "And she moved again after studying at our school. That makes it four! She definitely met other kids," Triche says to him.

"I'm just worried. Anything can happen." Colin stood in front of her and sighed. "We know about Ace now. We should stop here."

"I'm so sick of your--" Triche stopped herself, seeing Winnie looking at them from the ground floor. "Let's talk about this some other time." She pushed Colin to the side and went down to meet Winnie. "Did you hear us?"

"A-A bit." Winnie looked down. "You don't have to worry about anything. I'll forget about it soon enough."

Triche nodded and patted the other's shoulder. "Yeah. You should." Triche turned to Colin again and glared. I'll never get anything done with him restricting me. Triche thought and headed to the hotel's convenience store.

Winnie was left wondering what was up. She looked at Colin by the stairs, who looked so done at Triche. Why are they suspecting Ace, though? Wasn't he in a relationship with Kane? Winnie shook her head, realizing that she was being nosy. "I almost forgot. I need to get that memory card fixed." She ran to the stairs, passing by Colin to get to her room.  

--

Swan kept the laptop close to her while walking back to the hotel. She was only close by, so she didn't bother taking a cab back.

The wind was whistling, and the busy streets slowly calmed down now that it was almost midnight. Neon Street has always been the busiest place, but not around Chantelle Manor. Not everyone has the chance to walk in its vicinity. 

Swan felt her hood getting blown by the wind. She briskly walked while putting her hand on it to keep it from falling. 

Arriving, she finds herself standing outside the locked doors. She completely forgot about the hotel's curfew and stayed out too long. "Shit," Swan mutters under her breath and sneaks to the windows. "I just have to do this again." 

Standing straight, she tucks her hoodie into her shorts and slides the laptop inside to secure it. Swan grabs onto a steel bar from a terrace and pushes herself up. She placed her foot on a bar and quietly jumped to land on the terrace without waking a guest.

After the successful jump, she stretched her body to the terrace next to it and leaped. She pulled herself up again and landed. Before jumping, she secured the laptop again, ensuring that her hoodie's tucked in properly.

Swan looked up to the next terrace and sighed. "That's a high one. It's for the second floor's hallway. I should still give it a shot," she muttered and stood on the bar, maintaining her balance. It'll be risky, but Swan had to get in that night.

She bent her body and sprang towards that terrace, her hands reaching the bar. While Swan was trying to grab it, her hand almost slipped, causing her to squeak in fright. Swan immediately widened her eyes, realizing that she had given away her position. "Fuck, fuck." She kept repeating to herself while pulling herself up.

"Need a hand?" Swan quickly lifted her head to see who had caught her. "Isn't it too dangerous to wander around on your own? You should've asked for my help."

"You--" Swan's foot slipped from a bar, making her gasp. But, he was able to hold onto her arm to stop her from losing her balance. She looked at him and sighed. "Keep the door open. Let's talk inside."

--

I'm so sorry for not updating last night! I fell asleep while proofreading😭

Another revelation about two characters🤭~ Who do you think Swan's working with?🧐