🎭70: Worries, Questions that Linger

After struggling to sleep for long hours, Winnie decided to give up sleep and sort her thoughts

After struggling to sleep for long hours, Winnie decided to give up sleep and sort her thoughts. She didn't know who to trust. 

Lloyd seemed honest about helping Mirae. She didn't know anyone else who wanted to solve Kane's case more than Lloyd. But what France told her made her doubt Lloyd's sincerity. 

On the other hand, Detective Clyde Shin has been working on the spycams for a long time. He's not helping find Mirae's attacker nor looking for Kane's murderer. Those were the two main reasons why she wanted to help so badly.

"What would Mirae do if she was in my shoes?" She bit her lip and pushed her hair back in frustration. She always admired Mirae for making bold decisions during critical times. There were times when she would ask Mirae for advice, but she couldn't do that now that the latter was still unconscious. She doesn't want to worry Mirae about her personal problems even after she wakes up.

Winnie left her room to take a stroll around the hallway. She wanted to exhaust herself physically so she could rest her anxious mind. 

On her way to the stairs, she noticed another guest walking with her head down. Winnie thought she was sleepwalking. She was almost at the stairs, and Winnie feared she'd fall. Winnie cleared her throat, making the other stand straight and look at her. "Triche?" Winnie exclaimed and walked towards her. Triche immediately fixed herself and laughed nervously. "I thought you were asleep."

"Nah. I'm just taking my time thinking." Triche looked at Winnie and furrowed her brows. "How about you? Why are you out here at 4 AM? It was rare to see you walking around back then." 

"The recent events have been bothering me. I wanted to fall asleep, so I wanna walk a little." Winnie bit her lip and looked away. "About the man you chased, by the way... Did you hear his voice? Did he seem familiar?" 

"I wish I could answer that." Triche sighed heavily. "He was too far away when I looked from the window. I wanted to chase after him, but he was gone when I got outside. I really hope I could help you. Is Mirae okay now? She could've seen who that man was, right?"

"She's still unconscious. It would be a great help if she saw that person's face. I'll catch that bastard with my own two hands if I have to. Mirae's my priority right now. I'll wait for her to wake up before going after him."

--

Kit paced back and forth outside the staff's room for almost twenty minutes. He was hoping Lloyd would stop by, so he could ask about Mirae's state. Someone was still following him, so he couldn't leave the hotel to visit her. "Kit Kim?" Lloyd called, making Kit turn to him. "Is there anything you need..." Lloyd stopped and looked at the people walking by. "...sir?"

"Have you heard anything about Mirae? Is she awake now?" Kit quietly asked.

"I'm also waiting for Winnie Park to update me. I also meant to talk to you, actually. My hunch tells me that the guy who attacked Mirae was the same guy who chased both of you last time. Can you think of that man's motive? Why is he after Mirae Kim of all people?"

"That also troubles me. Mirae hasn't done anything. All she did was help us look for Kane's killer. Could that man be..." Kit furrowed his brows. "Is the killer going after Mirae now? Is he trying to harm everyone close to me?!"

Lloyd quickly placed his finger in front of his mouth to shush Kit. He looked around and let out a sigh. "It's only a speculation. There could be another reason why this is happening. We need to wait for Mirae to wake up 'til then. Her parents are working hard to catch that man. I don't think they'll stop until he gets caught."

"Excuse me?" A guest called from the end of the hallway. Lloyd immediately excused himself and went to meet her.

Kit returned to his room in disappointment. He plopped down on the bed and covered his face with his hands. "When are you waking up?" He whined. The last conversation they had was just too unpleasant. He feels betrayed because of what Mirae did, but it doesn't change the fact that he worries about her. It felt more regrettable because Kit was no longer there to protect her when that guy attacked again. He was able to stop him from taking Mirae before.

Rain was pouring when night came. The police guarding Mirae's hospital room remained alert and didn't allow anyone inside. No reporters, friends, nor relatives could enter Mirae's room. Only her parents could come inside and visit her for her safety.

While her mother was sitting beside the bed, holding Mirae's hand, her father made a cup of tea in the corner of the room. "Why isn't she awake yet? It must've hurt our daughter too much," she cried, caressing Mirae's hands.

"They went through the CCTV cameras from the hotel, but they never found anyone entering through her door. They're searching for other cameras from nearby stores. Dashcams would also be of help. They haven't found any of that at the moment," Mirae's father said as he handed the cup of tea to his wife. "Do they know who they just provoked? No one lays a finger on my daughter while I'm still alive. I'll find that man whatever it takes." 

Mirae's mom cried harder. "I shouldn't have agreed to stay there if I knew this would happen. "Our Mirae..." She sobbed.

Mirae's mother's cries and the beeping machine amidst the rain filled the room. Suddenly, Mirae's finger twitched and slowly wrapped around her mother's hand. "Mom?" Her faint voice called.

Mirae's parents lifted their heads and looked at their daughter's face. Mirae was finally awake.  

--

That's all for today everyone😅 I'll keep updating regularly, so it wouldn't bother our school works soon😭 Any theories as of now?👀