🎭63: All to Silence

"I heard they're sending Kit back for lack of evidence," Lloyd started when he arrived outside Mirae's room

"I heard they're sending Kit back for lack of evidence," Lloyd started when he arrived outside Mirae's room. "But they'll still be onto him because you told them the knife was in his room. We need proof that he got framed before another lead shows up." Lloyd smiled. "I knew you wouldn't betray Kit. I almost got convinced otherwise."

"I thought if I save myself, for now, I'd still have time to look for evidence to prove his innocence. I'm relieved to hear that they're letting him go. But what am I supposed to do? We're looking for the real murder weapon, right?" Mirae asked.

Lloyd was about to answer her when he suddenly noticed Winnie looking at them from the living room. "Reinforcement?"

Mirae sighed and turned to Winnie too. "Winnie insisted on helping because I cried too much. I also injured my hand while beating myself up last night. She didn't want me working alone and getting hurt, so here we are. She's also onto something, actually. She decided to pause it to help me free Kit first."

"What exactly was she doing before helping you?" It reminded Lloyd of the memory card Winnie had in her hand last time. She could be looking for Swan, which won't be good for anyone except for the families. They need someone who has connections like Swan at a time like this. "Would she mind if I ask her about it? It could be related to the case."

Mirae looked at him and laughed nervously. "Winnie didn't tell me that. But there's something we can link to the case. She has this video with Kane's voice in the background. Kane was talking to someone, and Winnie had been looking for that person. Unfortunately, she hasn't found anything yet."

"Kane was talking to someone about what?" Lloyd asked. Mirae looked at the hallway first and pulled Lloyd inside the room. 

"We should talk inside. In that video, Kane was suspicious of the people in the hotel." Lloyd sat across Winnie, and Mirae sat beside the latter. "Kane Son was looking for someone, and she asked for help from the person she was talking to. Is that right?" Mirae looked at Winnie, who immediately nodded.

"I have the video on my phone. Would you like to listen to it?" Winnie was about to take it from her pocket when Lloyd continued talking.

"Why didn't you tell me immediately?" Winnie stopped and looked at Mirae. "I would've helped you with it if I knew."

"I didn't know if I could trust you that time. You told us that Kane got murdered, but the news said it was suicide. I thought you were inconsistent and easily swayed. I didn't want to hand such a thing to you." Winnie breathed in and smiled. "But Mirae said she trusts you, so I will too." She was going to take the phone but felt her pocket empty. "Oh? Did I leave it on the bed? I was in a rush earlier. I must've forgotten to bring it. I'll be back in a second." She stood up and ran, leaving to get her phone. 

Winnie took the stairs to her room in a hurry. "Winnie!" France suddenly called, making her stop. "Are you going anywhere?" He asked. But Winnie only froze and looked at him in shock. "I'm guessing we're not that good yet?"

"I'm in a hurry. Excuse me, "...was all she could say with a cuss in her mind. "Why would France suddenly approach me like that? I didn't intend to get all good with him when I talked to him that day," She told herself and continued running to her place.

Upon opening the door, she noticed that the blinds were all closed. She furrowed her brows and walked towards them to keep it open. "I'm pretty sure I left with these open. The room was brighter--" Suddenly, someone jumped out of her closet and strangled her with some clothing. She grabbed onto it tightly, trying to pull it loose. "L-Let go..." She breathlessly begged. 

Her legs started to grow numb, making her drop to the ground. She could feel herself fainting any second. "Help me," she called, but her voice was unheard. 

The person mercilessly kept the cloth tightly pressed against Winnie's neck. As if it was out of hate, Winnie thought she couldn't leave alive anymore. She didn't bother struggling and gave up, knowing how it would end. The person couldn't feel her moving and assumed Winnie had already passed out. Winnie only saw a pair of legs walking away from her before blacking out completely.

--

"How did it go?" Swan asked when Lloyd arrived at the convenience store. "Did Mirae seem suspicious? What did she tell you?"

Lloyd furrowed his brows and leaned against the refrigerator behind them. "We didn't talk that long. She brought Winnie Park too to help look for the real murder weapon."

"She's still on about that framing theory?" Swan chuckled, shaking her head in disbelief.

"It could be the case. Kit's returning because the police couldn't find anything against him other than Mirae's statement. The shocking thing is Winnie probably has something that can help us greatly. She went out to get her phone, but she didn't return. Mirae also left shortly because her parents called her. I had no choice but to reschedule."

"What Winnie has... Does it have anything to do with me? You said she had the memory card I lost. Do you think she knows it was mine?"

"No, it was something else. Apparently, Kane was looking for someone. She accidentally recorded Kane's conversation with someone on her phone. Mirae said Winnie has been looking for that person Kane was with but got nothing until now. Maybe we could get a new lead if I can listen to that."

Swan clicked her tongue and drank the juice box in her hand. "About Fin..." She started. "He said he has something for us. Did you ask him about that yet?"

"Ah. I almost forgot about that. I'll make sure to ask him tonight." Lloyd was about to head out when he suddenly remembered something. "Oh! You talked to Garry Kang already, right? What did he say? Did he tell you who owns KEYSTAYS?"

Swan lowered her eyes and took a sip from her drink. "Nothing much. The owner framed him and put him behind bars to save their faces. He also dropped a name, but I'll handle that myself. You should focus more on Kane Son's case."

"If you say so." Lloyd shrugged and stepped out of the convenience store.

--

Finally updated a chapter😭 A crucial event in this chap, and another drama for the next one🤭 If you have read Neon Street: Who Are You?, you might find the next event familiar hehe... Thank you for stopping by today! I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter💝