🎭60: Suspected Treachery

"The results are out? Already?!" Mirae asked in surprise

"The results are out? Already?!" Mirae asked in surprise. Lloyd called her to share updates from the forensics. "They said it'll take days. We have nothing yet!" She worriedly said.

Chef Anne received an update from the forensics that morning. Apparently, the knife found in Kit's room was prioritized, as per Kane's parents' request. Unfortunately, they couldn't share the result with anyone other than those in charge of the case.

"I suggest you warn your friend just in case. Can you call your parents?"

"I-I'll try. Thanks for giving me a heads up." Mirae ended the call and ran to the elevator. She also called her mother while waiting to get to Kit's floor. Mirae grunted when all she could hear was her phone ringing. "Shit! Why are they ignoring me?!" The elevator door opened, and Mirae sprinted to Kit's room, still waiting for her mom to answer the call. She kept pressing Kit's doorbell until the latter unlocked the door. "Kit! Come out!"

The doorknob turned, and Kit walked out with his hair all fluffy. He furrowed his brows at Mirae's panicked expression. "What's wrong?"

"'What's wrong?!' They already got the results about the knife found in your room. I'm trying to contact my parents to hear the results, but they're not answering me. Lloyd said I should warn you just in case..." Mirae bit her lip, sighing at the possibility she had in her mind. "In case they confirmed that it was Kane's blood."

"What should we do--" Kit stopped, hearing Mirae's phone ring.

"It's my mom," Mirae widened her eyes and immediately answered it. "Mom! I've been calling you! You have the results?"

"The detective just picked up the results a few minutes ago. We still don't know what's inside that envelope. Kane's parents are waiting here with us." Her mom answered.

"Where are you? I'll head there right now." Mirae turned to look at Kit waiting behind her. "I'm curious about it too."

"We were supposed to be at the seminar. But due to this urgent matter, we had to stay in the Sons' office. I'm warning you, Mirae. Stay away from that boy until we see the results. You don't want to complicate things," Hearing this only made Mirae end the call. She found out where they were. It was all she needed.

"I'll head over there. Kane's parents are waiting for the results to arrive. I'll tell you right away if it's anything we expected." Mirae walked closer to Kit, grabbing his shoulders. "It wasn't your knife, Kit. Whatever the result is, they can't prove it was yours."

--

Lloyd, Swan, and Fin gathered in the convenience store after chef Anne told them about the results. They sat at a table with Lloyd and Swan beside each other and Fin across from them.

"Do we have a way to see the result? If the knife did have Kane's blood, the police would go after Kit and bring him in. If Mirae's right, the killer will still be out there, and they'll be too busy looking at the wrong person. We have a chance to catch the real culprit first." Lloyd tells them.

"I wish it would turn out like that. But if Kit's the culprit...it's game over for us. We can't expose shit, and they will look good in the eyes of the people, treating it as justice served. Remember our goal. It's not to catch Kane's killer just to conclude the murder. We're doing this to reveal their true, dirty selves to the public." Swan explains.

Fin looks at the two with his arms crossed. This was their plan all along. I have everything they need in one place, but I can't take out everything. They'll forget about Kane and focus on exposing the families. "Mirae said Kit was framed, right?" He suddenly asked.

"That's what she's forcing. However, we can't rely on her intuition alone. Kit could be a victim or a dangerous person. It's best if we're more cautious than carefree at a time like this--take advantage of the loose ends. If Mirae wouldn't testify that she found the knife in Kit's room, Kit won't be taken in for questioning."

"And Mirae's determined to prove Kit's innocence. There's no way she'll do anything that can harm him." It was wishful thinking. Lloyd also considers what Colin and Triche told him the other day. Mirae could also be the one who planted the knife there. If Mirae's the culprit, and she's only using Kit as a shield, we'll have to start all over. There was not a single evidence that could link Mirae to the murder other than the fact that she was in the building where it took place.

"Unless they have something big to give her in exchange for that information," Fin started. "I've been observing the suspects you called in that day. I may be fired, but I heard gossips too. Mirae Kim is someone who cares a lot about her future. She does everything that will benefit her greatly. Are we sure she'll choose friendship over that? There must be a reason why she doesn't have many friends."

"All this is making my head hurt. Even the pieces we have don't fit. Who was that person who knew about Kane's relationships? Why would he threaten the manager to spill everything he knows? Who was the one who sent the packages? Who was the one who chased Kit and Mirae all over Neon Street? Why are these people doing it?!" Lloyd shouted, grabbing his hair in frustration.

"What if one person is behind all that, and it happens to be the killer?" Fin asked with his head down. "We only need to recognize the face in the footage."

"And if it turns out that the killer has a henchman? Recognizing the face would be useless," Lloyd said, making the two sigh in frustration.

"Henchman... I almost forgot the world we're living in. They're rich bastards who would've paid others to do their dirty work. If we could have access to the hotel's cameras, we would know who went out at the same time these people in the footage went strolling in the street," Swan hoped. She looked at Lloyd, who was showing regret all over his face. "If only you didn't quit and stayed patient!"

"How was I supposed to know they're gonna open it again?!" Lloyd responded, also irritated at himself. "They were determined to cover it up!"

"All right! We have no time for that. The important thing right now is how we'll be ahead of the new detective in catching the culprit. They could be on their way to bring in Kit Kim for questioning--" Fin stopped, seeing a police car pulling back in front of the hotel. "Speaking of which." He pointed at the car, making Lloyd and Swan turn around to see what was happening.

"Shit." Swan jumped out of her seat and ran to the scene, followed by Lloyd and Fin. "Excuse me!!" She called, standing in front of a police officer's way. "What's all this? Is this about Kane Son's murder?" She asked.

"The murder weapon has been confirmed to be in one of the guests' possessions," The policeman answered and followed his team inside.

"The...murder weapon?" Fin quietly asked, his brows furrowing in confusion.

"Does that mean Mirae sold him out?" Lloyd worriedly watched as the new detective rushed inside. "It took her an hour to flip to their side?"

"Or she could've been on their side the whole time," Swan added. Her parents are probably one of those who agreed to get rid of my parents to hide whatever they're doing. As they say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

--

It'll be messy, but I've got everything sorted in the end! Again, I'm sorry for not updating frequently. I'll see if I could update again tomorrow, BUT there's no guarantee to that🤧 I'll try thought. And lemme just insert this... Taehyung, Lisa, and Bogum at PFW!!! It's been so long since we got bp and bts in one frame. It's not as a group, but still! Crumbs are crumbs😭