🎭13: Opening the Doors

"Ugh! I really want to tell that detective what I saw, but Colin

"Ugh! I really want to tell that detective what I saw, but Colin..." Triche sighs, plopping on the couch. "I get his point. It's dangerous to look for someone's murderer—I know that! But Kane needs us more than ever. I won't let her unjust death get ignored and forgotten like this."

Triche leaves her room and goes to the lobby. She wanted to contact Lloyd on the phone, but the guy forgot to give his contact information when they talked last time. All Triche knew about him was his workplace, and she plans to head over there to inform him about Ace.

Before she exited the building, Winnie and Mirae's conversation on the couch grabbed her attention. "I'm sure it was Kane on the picture. Do you think they dated?" Winnie said to Mirae.

Triche quickly went to their seat, sitting beside Winnie. "Who did you see? Who dated Kane?"

Winnie and Mirae were startled because of Triche's sudden interruption. The latter's eyes were wide open, waiting for Winnie to spill what she saw. "I-I'm just speculating. The kids I know put their partner's picture at the back of their phones, so I assumed it was the case for Ace."

"Ace?" Triche furrowed her brows. "That guy had a picture of Kane at the back of his phone?" What's this? If he's a stalker, he's not going to put Kane's picture on his phone where everyone can see it. They'll know he's stalking her. Then...does this mean he's not Kane's stalker?

"Why are you so interested? Did you know Kane Son?" Mirae asks. "The detective was looking for Kane's friends. You should talk to him if you're one."

"Oh?" Triche looks away, scratching her cheek. "N-No. I just want to help the detective solve this. He's also suspecting me, and I want to clear my name," she said before walking to the elevator.

Triche isn't sure why she lied about her relationship with Kane. It could be because she was afraid that they might suspect her too. Or it could be because realization hit her and recalled that Kane didn't consider her a friend after what happened years ago.

The elevator door opened, and Triche stepped out with her head hanging low. "If Ace isn't Kane's stalker, why does he have stolen photos of her?" While she was talking to herself, she suddenly spotted Ace in his room. The door was partially open, and she could see what he was doing inside.

Triche quickly hid behind a pillar and observed. "Who are you really, Ace Min?" She quietly said.

Ace was only reading a book on the couch while eating an apple. He was only there resting, leaving Triche annoyed. Suddenly, Ace left the couch and wore a hoodie over his grey shirt. It looks like he's leaving. He carelessly pulled the door to close it and took the stairs before going down.

Triche left her hiding spot and quietly ran to his room. Again, the door wasn't closed properly. "Why can't he do this right?" She tried pulling the doorknob and letting it go before it closes as Ace did. It only bumped into the door strike, leaving it open. That's how she found out that it was actually broken. "Poor guy didn't know his door's fucked."

She looked around through the narrow opening and wondered. "Did you date this guy, Kane? But, how would he explain the pictures? Why would a guy like him have stolen pictures of Kane? He could've just taken a selfie or something."

"Is there something interesting inside that room?" Triche quickly turned around and saw France. "If Ace finds you snooping around, you're done for."

"Unless someone snitches on me. Why don't we just mind our own business?" Triche told him with a glare.

"Why should I do that? If I find you suspicious, I'll tattle on you because I want to. Who knows? Maybe Ace is your next victim," France said before heading towards the stairs.

"He's still not over that? Why would he think I murdered Kane? It's more unlikely than flying pigs." She flipped her hair and decided not to go into Ace's room anymore. Triche doesn't know what's his connection with Kane, but she knows for sure that he was somehow related to her.

That afternoon, the kids gathered in the cafeteria to have lunch. Everyone was required to go due to their parents' orders. Ace didn't like it, as well as Winnie. "I'll sit with you. Don't worry. I'll make sure France doesn't get anywhere near you," Mirae said to assure her.

"You know you don't have to do this. I can just run." Before heading to the washroom, Mirae gave her a 'don't be ridiculous' expression. Winnie was left to watch over their table, and she kept her eyes and ears open for any sign of France.

While washing her hands, Kit came and used the sink next to her. Mirae turned to him and scoffed. Kit heard her and raised his brow. "Is something wrong?" He asked.

"Nothing. I just remembered what you did." Mirae pulled out some tissues and dried her hands. "I don't know if anyone told you this, but," she looked at him in disbelief. "Are you stupid?"

"Excuse me?" Kit quickly reacted. "I get that you find yourself more intelligent than me, but calling me stupid is too offensive. What did I do that was so foolish?" Kit said with a pout.

"You signed the contract." Mirae clasped her hands and walked closer. "You didn't read the whole thing, didn't you? The last page indicates that by signing, you agree to merge our companies through espousal."

Kit nodded, remembering that he had read that part. "And?"

"That simply means marriage." Kit's eyes grew wide in surprise, leaving the water in the faucet running. "I specifically brought that contract for Benjamin because our parents were setting us up. You're probably thinking why I'm handling an agreement like that, and that is because I want to see for myself if the other person is willing to marry me wholeheartedly. But suddenly, a little dum-dum like you brought me that contract back, signed over your printed name."

"No, no. I didn't understand what it meant. I only signed it for fun. And your plans after merging with that guy's company looked impressive. I just wanted to say that I agree with it. Y-Your plan... I mean. Not the marriage part," Kit explained with such panic.

Mirae could only chuckle. "See? What's the use of getting all excited when you couldn't grasp the whole thing? Anyway, my parents burned everything, so it doesn't matter. Just be careful next time. You don't want to get engaged to someone by accident."

"Hold on. What do you mean burned everything?" Kit asks with worry in his eyes.

"That's normal. And I don't have to explain that to you. What are you gonna do about it?" She smiled for a split second and closed the faucet that Kit left open. "I'll see you around."

Mirae exited the washroom, heading back to their table. She found Winnie drawing on one of the paper tissues with a toothpick and ketchup and sighed. "I wish I was with her when it happened. I would've punched France in the face for mindlessly insulting her. He just made someone so sweet scared of talking to people." 

"It's her fault for trusting the wrong person," Swan said while passing by after hearing what Mirae muttered to herself.

"What do you know? You're just taking care of babies." Before Mirae could walk away, she heard Swan laughing, making her turn at the latter. "Did I say anything funny?"

"I know more than what you know. You're not in the place to look down on my status," Swan said before leaving Mirae annoyed.

--

It's so late😭 The chapter has a lot of parts and I left A LOT of Easter eggs everywhere. I hope you guys don't see the picture yet🙈 I'll probably reply to comments tomorrow. I hope you guys liked the chapter! I might update tomorrow too💕