🎭 61: Prime Suspect

"He's not saying anything," one of the team members went out, disappointment painted all over his face

"He's not saying anything," one of the team members went out, disappointment painted all over his face. "Can we trust the source? I heard his parents are powerful too. What should we do if it turns out that we're wrong?"

"Don't be a coward. It will be a bigger loss if he's the culprit and we set him free," The detective said and left the interrogation room.

Kit blankly stares at his handcuffed hands. She'll get me out, won't she? Mirae promised me. He thought to calm himself. He looked around the dark room anxiously. The atmosphere scared him. He had no one to talk to or even look at. It was just his reflection in the mirror. Mirae, where are you?

"You can't take him without a warrant. And you can't get a warrant without solid evidence. How could you tell that Kit Kim was Kane's killer?" Lloyd said. He, Swan, and Fin also followed them to the station. They wanted to confirm if Mirae only told them about the knife or if she insisted that it was Kit who killed Kane.

"I'm not telling you again. We can't disclose that to others. Please understand!" The officer raised his voice, making the three lean back. "Get lost!" He returned, leaving them with no choice but to turn and walk away.

"I swear. I wasn't that annoying when I was a detective," Lloyd said and cleared his throat. "What should we do now? They won't let us see Kit or say anything about the investigation. I can't even reach Mirae."

"I'll head back to the hotel and meet her casually. She'll eventually go back to her room. Plus, Mirae doesn't know we're working together. I'll ask her what happened," said Swan, walking to the sidewalk.

"I'm coming with her. Try asking the police again." Fin said and patted Lloyd's back before running to the sidewalk with Swan.

Lloyd watched them walk away. "Do they want me to keep getting yelled at?" He said in annoyance, turning around to face the station. "That boy must be trembling. Will he still trust Mirae after this?"

Suddenly, a white SUV passed by in a rush. Lloyd immediately expected it to be Kit's parents. He sneaked to the side of the stairs and waited for them to step out. "This is ridiculous! Kit? A murder suspect?" His mom said the second her foot touched the ground.

"I'm calling lawyer Heo. You should head in first." Kit's father stayed outside on his phone. Lloyd moved closer, wanting to hear their conversation. "We've arrived. I want to know how they found a knife in my son's room. Could it be one of the cleaners? Kit is incapable of doing such an inhumane act!"

Lloyd quickly moved away. "One of the cleaners... That's right. I should've looked into it."

"I don't care if we're going against the Sons. Do whatever it takes! Get my son out of here right now!" Kit's father shouted and walked into the station.

After their conversation ended, Lloyd quickly called Fin to inform him about the possibility of an employee's involvement. "Ask the employees if they sensed anyone suspicious around the time Mirae found the knife in Kit's room. Do it right now in case someone's trying to escape. I'm on my way back."

Swan paced back and forth in front of Mirae's room. The latter hasn't returned for almost an hour since Swan arrived in Chantelle Manor. "Did she really leave after betraying her friend? Just like that?" She said in disbelief. 

Mirae stepped out of the elevator in a rush as if on cue. She ran in Swan's direction, heading to her room. Noticing Swan, Mirae stopped to throw her a glare. "What in the the devil are you looking at?"

"I heard your friend got taken by the police today. Aren't you coming to see him?" Swan asked to see Mirae's reaction.

"Since when did you care about that? That's my business to deal with." Mirae was going to open the door when Swan continued.

"I heard it's related to the murder. How can I not care? Was it really him? Did he kill Kane Son? Do they have evidence?" Swan kept asking, but Mirae only turned to her and said nothing. "Do you even know what happened to him?" Mirae looked away again and opened the door, going inside her room. She slammed the door at Swan, leaving the other annoyed. "She's really keeping her mouth shut? She could've denied it if she wanted to, but she didn't say anything. Something's off."

--

"What... did you say?" Kit looked at his lawyer in shock.

"I want to know how you are related to Mirae Kim. She was the one who saw the knife in your room. She confessed to it, saying she suspected you when she saw the murder weapon. What I don't get is how she got into your room. Are you friends with her?" The lawyer asked.

"I think you got it wrong, Mr. Heo. Mirae knows my side of the story. She also knows that I got framed. It wasn't my knife--someone put it there. Mirae said she'll do everything to prove my innocence."

"It appears to me that you trust this person a lot. I'm sorry to break it to you, Mr. Kim. But Mirae Kim didn't say anything else other than her suspicions. She clearly said you owned that knife." Lawyer Heo leaned against the chair and sighed. "How did you end up trusting her?"

Kit looked down in shame. Mirae wouldn't. She asked me to trust her. "Just because," Kit answered. "It wasn't me, Mr. Heo. I wouldn't do that to Kane."

"I have to be honest with you. It would be hard to prove that because you have no witnesses or cameras on the scene. However, they saw you leaving the party before the blackout. Where did you go after you left?"

Kit faced the lawyer with fear. He will have to tell everything about him and Kane. They will ask him the questions he was afraid to answer the second he tells the truth. I didn't want to do this. Mirae wouldn't let them take me here, knowing that. "I returned to the hotel--"

"Where exactly? I need your honesty, Mr. Kim. Your parents want you out as soon as possible." Kit bit his lower lip, looking at his feet. "What happened that night?"

Kit closed his eyes, knowing he had no choice but to confess. "I saw Kane's body that night, Mr. Heo. It looked like the one who killed her had just left when I arrived."

"The way to Kane Son's room is opposite the elevator and the stairs. Did you go to Kane's room on purpose?" That was Kit's cue. He sat straight, ready to reveal what was between him and Kane. He had no other choice but to cooperate.

--

"Excuse me," Winnie said as she entered the convenience store. She decided to keep searching for the owner of the memory card she picked up on the street. Though she broke it, she wanted to meet the owner to apologize and ask why they were filming someone's room in Chantelle Manor. "I found a memory card outside a few days ago. It was close to this store, so I thought I should ask. Do you know who could've dropped it?"

"Ah... It could be that customer who always brings her laptop here. I don't have other information about her but that," The cashier answered.

"She always brings a laptop?" Winnie suddenly remembered her encounter with Swan that day. "Swan definitely had a laptop with her..." She looked at the cashier again. "By any chance, has that person worn a hoodie with an army print?"

"Army print?" The cashier clapped her hands and nodded. "That's right! She also sits over there most of the time." She pointed, making Winnie turn to the table close to the refrigerator. That's where Swan left her purse. Could it be a coincidence? "If you don't mind, I could return it to her when she visits again."

"Oh. To be honest, I accidentally broke the card while trying to fix it. I wanted to say sorry and maybe give some compensation. Please let me know if that person comes by again." Winnie smiled, then left the convenience store, going to her car. "Could it be Swan? If it was... Why would she be putting cameras in the rooms?"

--

I couldn't update yesterday😭 I hope the chapter made up for it! I'll hurry up and write some more🥹 Speaking of more, I just watched MORE's teaser aaaaaa Let's support Hobi like how we support the boys as a group!!