🎭43: Allies From the Start

A few weeks ago

A few weeks ago.

"These are from rooms 23 and 138," said the middle-aged lady in a leather jacket as she pushed two memory cards to her. "I'll leave the rest to you, Swan. Be careful." 

"I've always been. Thanks again, Chef Anne. I'll message you if I need anything else." Swan stood up and bowed at the other. Chef Anne smiles fondly at her before leaving the convenience store. "I'm lucky to have her on my side," Swan tells herself and sits.

Chef Anne is Chantelle Manor's head chef. Swan met Anne in a salon two years ago. They shared the same past of losing their parents at an early age and treated each other as a sister since. When Swan told Chef Anne that she was staying in Chantelle Manor, the two started planning. Swan still doesn't know why her parents died that day, but she knew it had something to do with the factory her parents were working at. 

Given that every powerful family in the country is coming to the hotel, Swan grabbed the opportunity to seek the truth and asked for Anne's help. Of course, the latter was willing to do all she could for Swan to succeed. 

For months, they spied on the families through spy cameras. Anne would attach a camera under a tray to be delivered to the rooms and give the footage to Swan afterward. Swan's job was to analyze the clips to find a lead on the cause of both her parents' death. It also explains why her tray kept going to the wrong rooms.

Swan opens her laptop and inserts the first memory card with the characters "KLA R23 FEB" written in white ink. It was a mark indicating that it was for her, and it got obtained in room 23 in February. The letters "KLA" are derived from her real name, "Kyla". Swan had to change her name and identity to protect herself from those who plotted against her parents.

She was about to play the video when the convenience store cashier suddenly called her. "You can't stay here for too long if you're only buying a can of soda. Other customers need a table too," he said, gesturing for her to leave.

"I'm still a customer, and I found this table first. It's mine until I decide to leave." Swan turned to the front, ignoring the other customers clicking their tongues at her. 

"What is your problem? Can't you be more considerate of the people around you? These people need a table too. Aren't you done yet? You're just using your laptop! This place is not a café!" He shouted in annoyance.

Swan breathed in to suppress her anger. Quietly, she takes the memory cards, closes her laptop, and pulls it close to her chest. "I'm sorry for the inconvenience," Swan forced herself to say to avoid more drama. She has a reputation and identity to keep, so she has to lie low despite wanting to keep defending herself.

She was on her way out quietly when the cashier continued talking. "Who does she think she is? A VIP? Another rich-kid wannabe," he said with a scoff at the end. 

Swan found it insulting and tightened her grip on the edge of her laptop. Who said I want to be one of those disgusting rats? She turned to the people behind her, glaring. They're no different from people like you.