🎭39: Independence

Seven Years Ago

Seven Years Ago.

Swan was in the school field, watching the students practice for the upcoming intramurals after school. Suddenly, one of her classmates came, informing her that their homeroom teacher was looking for her. "Did she say why?" Swan asks, carrying her bag.

"Nope. But, I saw your parents leaving the gate earlier. Maybe it has something to do with that."

Surprised, Swan jumps from the bleachers and runs to the faculty room. "What were my parents doing here? Did something happen? Did I...mess up?!" She ran with a racing heart and met her homeroom teacher by the door. "Mrs. Park, I'm really sorry--"

"Oh, you're here." Mrs. Park goes over to her desk and takes a folder. "Your parents came thirty minutes ago saying they want to transfer you to a different school." Swan furrowed her brows and looked away. Transfer me where? They never told me about this before. "I hope you don't mind me asking... Is there any problem at home? Or are you experiencing troubles here at school?"

"No. Not at all, Mrs. Park. I'm as confused as you are." Mrs. Park handed her the folder that included her report cards for the first two quarters. "Your parents are planning to start processing the documents tomorrow. I forgot to hand these over."

Swan looked at the papers, still furrowing her brows. What's going on?

When she returned home, she went to her parents' room to demand an explanation. "Everything was going well. Why would you suddenly transfer me to somewhere else?" Her parents sighed and looked away. "Everything's fine, right?"

"It will be," her dad assured. "The factory suddenly started firing employees, and your mom and I were one of them. But, it's only temporary! We'll help at your grandma's restaurant for the time being." He went over to Swan and kissed her forehead. "We'll get through this."

"We have no choice but to transfer you to a nearer school. I'm sure there will be good ones. You don't have to worry about anything. Mom and dad will handle everything."

As her parents said that day, they moved in with her father's parents. They're owners of a small restaurant by the street, so it wasn't that hard to earn money. "Can you check the pasta, dear?" Her grandma said while she wiped the tables clean.

Swan nodded and went to the kitchen to check. "There's no way they'll find us here." The conversation of her parents behind the big refrigerator caught her attention. "I'll go to Reporter Kim tomorrow. Everything will go back as it was when the word is out." It was her father's voice.

Out of curiosity, Swan walks over to their side, startling them. "Are we hiding from someone?" She asks, looking at her dad. "You said they couldn't find us here."

"Hun... T-That's..." Her mother looked at her dad. "We'll take care of it. Just focus on school right now." She patted Swan's shoulder and returned to the counter.