🎭23: Crumpled Letter

Five Years Ago

Five Years Ago.

"Carry them properly!" A girl shouted and laughed along with her friends. "We don't pay you to do a lousy job like that. Who made you like that? Your parents?" They laughed again, then abruptly stopped. "Oh no. I forgot about it. You don't have them anymore."

Winnie, who was peacefully sleeping, heard them and felt annoyed. She put down the bag she was hugging and walked towards the six girls standing by the door. "I'm sorry to ask you this. But, can you keep it down for a second?"

They all looked at her with confused faces. "Miracles do happen. I didn't know you could talk. What's your name again, sweetie?" They said while giggling. Winnie could sense their sarcasm and didn't bother answering.

"Isn't she a senior?" Winnie asked, looking at the girl carrying two bags on both shoulders and four more in her arms. "Why are you talking to her like that?"

"If you're that bothered, you can always help her." The girl turned to the senior Winnie was referring to and smirked. "Right, Kyla? You can share with her your pay."

"No, it's fine," Kyla said and looked at Winnie. "Thanks for worrying." She entered and placed the bags on each of the girls' seats. Winnie looks at her with pity as the latter walks out of the room with her head hanging low.

"Job done! You know, you can't act all kind and considerate--ugh. It disgusts me." The girl put her hands on Winnie's shoulders and sighed. "You're a daughter of two powerful people in the country. You can do whatever you want in this place, and everyone will be cheering you on. That's the golden rule for people like us."

They left Winnie speechless and returned to their seats. Will they really support me if I do something I want? She thought and tuned to the desk at the back of the classroom. Does he think that way too? 

After classes ended, Winnie stayed in the classroom to do the "one thing" she always wanted. Taking out a sheet of paper, she poured her heart out into writing every word in the letter with a smile. She always hesitated to do this, scared that she might become the school's laughingstock. But that girl was right too. How can the daughter of one of the most powerful families become the subject of their jokes? Winnie thought it was absurd and decided to start crawling out of the box for the first time. 

A few months later, a new buzz in school caught Winnie's attention. Apparently, everyone heard about the letters she sent to him, and the whole school wanted to know who was behind them.

"That is so sick. Who confesses with letters these days?" The group of boys at the back of the room laughed. "I need to say how impressed I am that France could attract everyone, even the weirdest people."

Winnie, who was only sitting in front of them, bit her lip and tried to keep on organizing her notes without freaking out. How did everyone find out? Did he tell them? Why would he do that? She thought, her hands shaking as she grabbed the papers.