🎭52: Silenced Witness

First day in Chantelle Manor

Kit waited in front of the beverages table for the waiter to serve his drink. "How come no one's standing over here?" He looked at the drink towers in front of him. Thirsty as he was, he bit his lower lip to contain himself from getting his drink without permission.

"It's self-service." The girl approached him with an empty glass in her hand. "I saw you standing over here for fifteen minutes, not knowing what to do. I thought you were waiting for a friend, so I didn't mind. You're here for the drinks. Right? Or did I just embarrass myself?" She asked with a nervous chuckle at the end.

"No. I honestly thought someone had to do it for me. I didn't know I looked like a fool from another perspective," Kit took an empty glass and went to get his peach lemonade. While filling up his glass, he turned to the girl standing behind him. It looked like she was waiting to get the same drink. "Peach too?" He asked her.

"Yeah. A refill," she answered.

With that, Kit hurried up so she could take her turn already. He lets go of the handle and walks to the left side the second he fills up his glass. But he thought he couldn't just leave without thanking her. "I'm Kit, by the way. Thanks for letting me know it was self-service," he said with a bit of shyness in his tone.

"Nice meeting you. I'm Kane. Finally, I have someone to say hi to when I'm in the hallway." Kane smiled, pulling her drink close to her after she got it filled. "Are you sitting with someone? My table's over there," She pointed at the empty table with only a denim bag on top of it. "I uh... Haha. I don't know a lot of people in this place. I met some of them, but they all have their own circles."

Kit smiled to make her feel at ease. "I studied in the States, so I'm pretty much like you. Can I... sit with you?"

--

A week after Kit and Kane started dating.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Kit hands Kane her ringing phone. It had France's name flashing on the screen. The ringing stopped, and a text message popped up. 

'Why aren't you answering my calls now? I know we decided not to act engaged, but talk to me at least. I have to check up on you.'

Kane turned off her phone immediately and kept it inside her pocket. "I was going to tell you. I just didn't know when was the right time. I didn't want to upset you, and I didn't want you to be disappointed in me." Her voice trembled as she explained. She looked at Kit's eyes turning away from her in fright. "I'm sorry."

"Are you going to tell me why you decided to date me when you were engaged to someone else? You're cheating on him with me. What am I supposed to feel knowing that?" Kit tried not to show how lost and betrayed he felt. But Kane was the first person he dated, and it had to become like this. He didn't know if he should hear her out and understand her or break up with her because he knew very well that what they had shouldn't have been there in the first place. 

"France and I are just engaged on paper. We don't love each other. He's out there dating every girl he wants to date. He's out there happily spending his time with the people he loves. And I'm just here watching it all happen because I thought it's disrespectful towards our parents who think we're working it out. He can do what he wants, but I won't be like him. It had always been like that. But you happened. I loved every second I spent with you. I felt full--I felt happy. And I didn't want it to end because I got arranged with someone. I want to live my life the way I want too. I don't want it to be suffocating anymore!"

Seeing Kane break down in tears made Kit wrap his arms around her without a thought. It was the first time Kane showed how vulnerable she truly was to someone. He always thought Kane was a carefree person who didn't worry about anything. She seemed perfect. His chest ached, knowing she was also struggling like everybody else. 

That's when Kit made up his mind. No matter how wrong it is, he can't let Kane live the way she was before. He saw how happy she was with him, and he was glad to be with her. Since then, they both did everything to make each other happy. 

Kane would thank him every day for understanding her situation. Even if they could only communicate through their phones, she was always sincere with him, and so was Kit. There were times when they would get brave and let each other in their rooms to spend the night together. But that rarely happens because Kit didn't want her to get in trouble. 

They were planning to meet one more time one night, but they never thought it wouldn't be possible anymore.

Night of Kane's murder.

"Who are you meeting?" Kit asked on the phone.

"Just someone from the hotel. You might have encountered him before too. He goes by the name Fin Kim. I asked about him from the other employees." Kane answered. "I feel strange whenever I see him. He also acts as if knew me. He knew I was allergic to apples before. Only those I'm friends with know that."

"You want to ask him if you two knew each other? Don't you remember him, though?"

"I told you. I lost some of my memories. It's better if I just ask."

"Okay, okay. If he does something, call me immediately. I'm getting ready for the party right now. I'd leave that place the second you decide to call. You know that, right?"

"Don't be so worried! I don't think he's a bad guy. But don't forget our date after the party ends. I'm on my way back with a bottle of white wine because you said you wanted to try one."

Kit smiled and sat on the bed. "Thanks, Kane. I'll see you later?"

"You have no idea how excited I am," she laughed in the other line, making Kit's smile grow. "Uh oh. The battery's almost drained. I'll call you when I get back. I love you!" She said before ending the call.

Kit looked at his phone, still wearing his smile. "I love you more."

Later that night, during the blackout.

Kit immediately locked the door and fell to the floor. "Kane..." He pants fast, clutching tightly onto his shirt. When Kane's lifeless body flashed in his mind, Kit couldn't help but break down in forced silence.

--

New theories?🙈 Kit and Kane's backstory had to be out for everything to make sense in the end. I hope it's not too confusing!😅

Thanks for waiting and for stopping by today! I hope the chapter was still entertaining despite all the cringiness😭❤