🎭14: Case Closed

4 days left for the investigation

"The phone repair shop?" Lloyd says to himself. He decided to look from another perspective after his access to the CCTV footage in Chantelle Manor was stripped off. Kane Son left the building that morning, and Lloyd checked with the nearby stores in Neon Street to figure out where she went. "Thank you for your help," he tells the restaurant owner and proceeds to the parking lot to his car.

It turns out that Kane visited the phone repair shop that Lloyd usually goes to on the morning of the murder. With that, Lloyd suddenly had a hunch that Kane must've been onto something that could affect the flow of the investigation.

"Hey, I'm back," Lloyd tells the technician. "I heard you had a customer last week." He takes out his phone and shows the guy a picture of Kane Son. "Did she stop by here, by any chance?"

The technician looked at her picture and started to remember her. "Ah! That customer who wanted to retrieve the files of that old phone? Yes, she came to ask for my help."

Lloyd pulled the stool from under the desk and sat beside the man. "What was she trying to retrieve? Important files? Whose phone was it?" He kept the questions going as different possibilities crowded his mind.

"It was a burner phone. I only gave her the messages and the phone's call history. There wasn't anything else. And! Before you ask me if I read the messages, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I didn't. I respect my customers' privacy. You know that," The technician explained.

"You must've at least taken a peek. A phrase? A word? You really don't remember anything from that phone?"

"I told you. I don't put my nose under someone else's business. Even if I saw something, I wouldn't share that with you. Why? Was there anything important in that phone?"

Lloyd sighed in frustration. "That girl is dead, and I'm the one in charge of her case. I couldn't gather enough evidence, so I followed her tracks and ended up here. Something related to her death must be in that phone."

"You mean the phone you wanted me to fix... That was the customer's phone?" Lloyd nodded in response. "Hey, that's giving me goosebumps. Why didn't you tell me sooner?" The man said, rubbing his arms. 

"I'm still working on it. That's why I can't share the progress with anyone. But, I really need to know what Kane was trying to retrieve." Lloyd leaned closer, putting his hands together. "Please do me this one favor. I'm this desperate. What did you see?"

"Just to let you know, I'm not doing this again." He looked around first before whispering to Lloyd. "Actually, I thought it was suspicious enough that she brought a burner phone. You know how people use it in doing illegal stuff. I didn't read everything, but I did see one message that said, 'Good job. Dispose of everything'. That alone made me think something shady was going on."  

"Dispose?" Lloyd sat straight. "That's another word for 'kill'."

"I know...! I stopped reading because... Heck, I don't want to be involved in anything illegal. At least, I don't know the whole thing, right?"