🎭31: Different Detective

That afternoon, France left the hotel to do something about his restless guilt for what he did to Winnie

That afternoon, France left the hotel to do something about his restless guilt for what he did to Winnie. Just like what he does to those he felt sorry for, he thought of doing something for her. He couldn't treat her with a meal because he promised that he wouldn't bother her again. With that in mind, France decided to buy her a gift.

He went to a jewelry shop where he usually buys gifts. He noticed that Winnie always wears a necklace around her neck. It might be the perfect gift to say he's sorry. Though, France knew very well that what he was going to do won't make up for what he had done. "Mr. Park, welcome back," the saleslady greeted. "It's been a while since you came. Who is it for this time? Mrs. Park or..."

"It's for someone else," he answers. "What design would someone gentle like? I'm thinking of buying her a necklace."

"Gentle?" She asks with a chuckle. "It's the first time you said a characteristic like that, Mr. Park. You always ask for the most expensive jewelry for someone who's strong-willed or daring. Is she a friend?" She started dragging her fingers across the glass counter, looking for the necklace that France wanted.

"She's just someone I know," France answered. He doesn't have a special relationship with Winnie. They only shared the same past, and that's it. What else should he label her as?

After packing the gift, France left the store and headed to the parking lot to his car. Before he went in, a man in his late thirties suddenly approached him. "France Park?" He asks, holding a piece of paper in his hand.

"Who's asking?" France looked at how the man dressed and assumed he was a detective. The man wore a black jacket and a badge peeking from his pocket. Lloyd dressed like that before, so naturally, France thought the man was one of them.

"I'm detective Clyde Shin. Can I speak to you for a second?" So, he's really a detective. France thought.

"I have places to go. If it's not that urgent, we can reschedule—"

"Do you know Kane Son?" The detective suddenly asks. It caught France off guard that he started looking in different directions with nervousness. "She said I could talk to you if she's not around. Do you know her, sir?"

France walked to the other side and opened the door, gesturing for the detective to enter. "Let's talk somewhere else."

Heading to the nearby café, France anxiously side-eyed the man. What does he want? Did Kane get me in trouble? France gulped and faced the front. "How do you know her?" France asked.

"Ms. Son asked for my help a few months ago. Unfortunately, a new case got assigned to me in a different city. I couldn't meet her. I only returned recently and found out that she had died, and the police claimed that she committed suicide." The man chuckled, shaking his head and disbelief. "I can't wrap my head around it. Ms. Son still had something to do. I know that because she called for my help."