THE TOURNAMENT - PART 1

Mar stood at the backroom, her heart thumping against her chest rapidly.

Mar swallowed her spit, turning to Devon.

Over the course of training with her, Mar and the girl had grown closer.

"You nervous?" Mar had asked the younger girl.

"Not really, I love competing." Devon had said, an excited look on her face. "I'm ready to kick some ass."

Mar laughed, resting a hand on the girl's shoulder.

"And finally, this dojo is making their All Valley debut." The announcer had yelled, Miguel and Mar exchanging a glance. "And you may recognize a few familiar faces."

Mar looked to Miguel, ruffling his hair.

The boy laughed, pushing her hand away.

"Every year a new dojo rises up the ranks. Does this new club have what it takes to win it all?" The announcer had asked dramatically. "Please welcome Eagle Fang Karate, led by Sensei Johnny Lawrence and defending champion Miguel Diaz!"

Eagle Fang walk through the fog, coming out to the blinding lights.

"This is all a bit much." Devon had muttered, causing Mar to chuckle.

The dojo jogged to their spot in the middle of Miyagi-Do and Cobra Kai.

Mar stood to the right of Miguel, Devon to her right.

She didn't look at Miyagi-Do, she couldn't.

She had yet to tell them that she had joined Eagle Fang, the only person who knew being Eli.

Instead of looking for Eli, she scanned the large crowd for her dad.

He was nowhere in sight but another familiar face was.

"Yea!" Lexi yelled as she jumped up, clapping for Mar.

Mar smiled, shaking her head.

"At the end of the day, only one of these dojos can be crowned Grand Champion." The announcer had said, Mar holding her head up high. "Welcome, to the 51st annual All Valley under-eighteen karate tournament!"

The crowd stood up as they cheered loudly.

The announcer laughed. "It's karate time."

🥋

"Hey." Sam said wide-eyed as she had jogged up to Mar. "I didn't know you joined Eagle Fang."

"It was a last-minute thing." Mar had said before she smiled softly at Sam. "Johnny and Miguel visited and asked me to join because they needed some girls. I'm sorry I didn't join Miyagi-Do. I really wanted to but..."

"It's okay, Mar." Sam had smiled sadly. "I hate that we're not on the same team but I know we're on the same side."

Mar smiled, enveloping Sam in a hug.

"Goodluck out there, okay?" Sam said as she pulled away from Mar. "I know you're probably nervous because this is your first compeition and all but don't be, because you're gonna kick some ass."

"Thanks Sam." Mar smiled widely. "And I know it's your first time too so goodluck to you too, I know you're gonna make it to the finals."

Sam grinned at her.

"Lachlan, get your ass over here!" Johnny had yelled out.

"Gotta go." Mar sighed out to Sam before giving her a smile. "If we make it to the finals together, promise not to kick my ass too bad, alright?"