05. Siblings, But Not By Blood

"Hey."

Eli looked up from where he was doing the dishes to see Mar, leaning against the counter.

"Hi." Eli had smiled at the girl before he went back to doing the dishes.

"I just um, I jus wanna thank you." Mar had told the boy. "For being a really good friend and letting me stay here."

"Of course, Mar." Eli had quickly told the girl as he shut off the pipe, wiping his wet hands on Mar. "You're my best friend."

Mar smiled as she swatted away his hands.

Eli leaned against the kitchen island opposite of Mar, his arms folded.

He stared at Mar, almost as if he was trying to read her mind.

Mar folded her arms as well, pursing her lips.

"Mar?" Eli had called out as if he didn't already have the girl's attention.

"Yeah?" Mar tilted her head at the boy.

"You're not a burden." Eli had said, taking Mar off guard.

"What?" Mar had furrowed her brows, although she had heard him clearly.

"You're not a burden." Eli had repeated to the girl. "I know you're feeling bad."

"I-" Mar knew better than to deny the accusation, just sighing as she looked to the floor. "I've been staying here for a little over three months. And I've also not been going back to work because of how hectic everything has been, and I just feel so.."

"Don't even finish that sentence." Eli had spoke up, almost angry at the girl. Angry that she would even dare think that she was a burden. "Mar if my parents didn't want you here, they would say. My mom loves you, you're like her daughter."

"I know, I know." Mar had sighed out, running a hand through her hair. "But I can't stay here forever Eli."

Eli was the one to sigh out as he looked to the floor.

Mar crossed the short distance to Eli, wrapping her arms around his waist.

Eli immediately wrapped his arms around the short girl, resting his head at the top of hers.

"Thanks for being a brother to me, Eli." Mar had said to the boy.

"Thanks for being a sister to me." Eli said in response as he held unto Mar as if she was going to leave if he had let go.

And maybe she was going to leave if he had let go.

But Eli decided that as long as Mar's happy, he's happy.

So, he let go of the girl.

🥋

Johnny opened the door as he heard someone banging on it repeatedly.

Mar stood on the other side, giving him a smile.

"Is Robby here?" Mar had asked awkwardly as she looked to the floor.

"No, he went for a run." Johnny had told the girl with a nod. "Are you here for him?"

"Obviously not." Mar had rolled her eyes at Johnny as she walked into the house.

"Our weekly catchup?" Johnny had asked the girl as he looked to her.

"Our weekly catchup." Mar confirmed with a hum as Johnny shut the door.

Johnny had then looked to the bags in her hands.

"Burgers?" Johnny had questioned.

"Burgers." Mar confirmed with a smile as she rest them down on Johnny's new table before sitting down. "Damn, when last have I been here? Wait, is this even your apartment?"