Prologue - 4

The only thing that could describe it was dark confusion.

A huge, slightly dirty potato stood upon the stand, a brown, leather hat resting upon it. Half of the weird living vegetable was seemingly painted with a deep coal black, a dark, powerful red symbol of some kind resting in what I guess you could say...    Where the eye socket would be? I'm not sure, I don't know how to give human features to something such as a potato...

"Wow, isn't it amazing! To see these people in person! Up close! To interact for the first time in forever! And, in the most desirable way!"

"...You made it sound like you were gonna violate us against our will." Zoë stared. A couple people looked at her like she didn't even know who she was. Honestly, I'm guessing I also did.

"Oh quiet now Zoë. Anyways, I am here to inform you about a couple of major things!"

...What is he talking about?

"There is no way out of here. So to that search group that I noticed earlier: Great job at failing to figure that out earlier!"

...

Oh.

I guess I should have known...

"No way out?" Freddy stared at the potato sceptically.

"Mhm! Great idea, isn't it?"

"Not really, Mr. Half-Burnt Bad-Smelling Vegetable."

"Ugh! Didn't I make myself clear earlier? My name is Monopotato!"

"Hold on a minute!" Suzy called out, "You're telling us that there's no way whatsoever to leave this building?"

"Indeed I am, Suzy! That is my great idea! Although, there is one way to leave."

"...And what is that?" I heard Danny ask.

"It's simple! Kill another participant among you! Just as long as you have offed someone else here in cold blood or not, and you have gotten away with it, you are more than free to walk out of this building!"

...I felt like I wanted to vomit after hearing that.

M-Murder? What...    Is wrong with this...   Th-Thing?!

With watery eyes and a clouded head, I slowly looked around at the others. I could see George hugging himself, trying not to shed any tears, while Emily was clinging onto her trunk. Suzy seemed to be freaking out internally, and Gerald was visibly disgusted. And all the time, Monopotato was just laughing his bloody head off.

"Haha- Ahahah...    Now then, I have one more thi-"

"Hold on."

"...What?"

"I don't believe you."

We all turned to the bearer of the voice, who happened to be...       Rebecca.

"Are you seriously saying that...      A potato of all things can force us to kill each other like this? This- This is ridiculous! Surely there's someone out there w-who- you know- Is concerned about us being missing!"

"I can happily argue against that, 'mam, but-"

"NO! NO BUTS! I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!"