PLAYGROUP TRIAL 1: Part 1

Pushing the doors of the library apart once again to meet everyone who remained outside the IT room, I sighed slowly. A sense of worry rippled through my spine as I joined the crowd, George right behind me.

...This is really happening.

It's not a dream this time. Someone here really killed Delphine.

One person among us took the motive that Monopotato set up for us.

Someone here has the chance to escape.

...

"Welcome all participants!"

Leaning our heads to the left, we made eye contact with our host. A wide smile laid spread across his face.

"Welcome to your first Playgroup Trial!"

"...Yeah. In the middle of the halls." Freddy rolled his eyes, "Don't you need a courtroom for a trial?"

"Indeed! That's why I've brought you all here. It's about time that I showed you our top-class courtroom, in which you will discuss the case behind Delphine Donkey's death! Notice the pair of doors here?" The potato pointed to his left, indicating a dark pair of felt-coated doors.

"...Yes?"

"This is the start of the path to our courtroom. Please may everyone enter into the room behind these doors."

We all obliged cautiously, squeezing and shuffling our way through the velvety doors, before halting once we were all through. This new room was...     A little bit like a public toilet. It held cracked, off-colour white tiles on the walls, and an andesite tiled floor. Fluorescent lights illuminated the room, as well as a large, wrought iron gate at the other side, the tone of adolescence floating like a mist in the air.

"...What is this room?"

"This is the lift room. Soon, our lift will be here to take us to the Playgroup Trial."

Almost moments after he said that, a rough 'ding' sounded out. The gates coarsely parted, revealing a large, metallic room with a gritty floor. Another iron gate stood at the other side of said room.

"Here it is. All participants in!"

We swiftly moved into the room, Monopotato making sure that he was the last one to enter. A loud stamp was heard, before the iron bars behind us shut closed with a harsh grinding. Then, a gradual feeling of our insides lifting up occurred, as the lift started making its way downwards, deeper into the earth.

No conversation was heard. Not a word was uttered. Nobody dared to talk.

Scratches rang in the air as the floor soon started to halt, before stopping entirely, making us jump a bit. The gates in front of us sprang to the sides, revealing a soft, bright, tall room, with multiple varnished wooden stands organised around its centre. The walls were painted with a fluffy baby blue colour, with marble white columns adding contrast to the scene.

"Welcome to our courtroom!"

"...You call this a courtroom?"

"Yep! It's unique! It's not like other courts...       Please may all participants find the stand with their name, and reside within it!"

The group headed forward once again, approaching the stands with curiosity. We brushed alongside them, searching to find our names resided in the smooth wood. Everyone soon arranged in their assigned places, taking unsure glances at each other.