Chapter 1: No Safe Bets

"AHHHHHHH!"

"Jeez, jeez! Peppa, calm down...     I'm glad you're awake."

"Wh- What- What's happening-"

"Wendy said you fell asleep for most of the day. Funny. It's usually me who falls asleep during the day..."

I squinted my eyes, sitting with my back arched as I started to get used to the scene. Wendy, Suzy, George and Pedro were by my side, relieved looks in their faces. The surroundings were the same as before I passed out - We were in the library, by the area with the children's books.

"F-Fell asleep...?"

"Yeah! It's now the evening!" Pedro smiled, nodding his head eagerly. "Edmond's already got the tables ready and all...!"

...Oh yeah. Edmond did mention that we were going to hang out tonight.

"So...     The poker game's starting soon?"

"Sure is." Suzy replied. "Do you need a bit more rest...?"

"Nah. I feel better."

"Ok...     Let's get going. Edmond might be getting a bit impatient." Suzy stood up, heading upstairs, Pedro and Wendy following. I turned to face my brother, nervousness in his eyes.

"...Are you ok George?"

"Uh- Yeah. I'm fine."

...Something tells me that not the truth. But I'm not gonna try and accuse him of anything right now. I'm too tired.

I shakily stood up, my legs shivering slightly as I took a couple steps forward, testing wether I could move on them. After they strengthened, I continued onward, reaching the staircase and climbing up it quickly. 

Despite the odd pain in my hand.

The horrors of the...    Dream I had stuck tougher than superglue in my head, causing me a difficulty as I hopped up the steps, soon reaching the second floor.

"Ah, Peppa! Nice to see you, are you feeling alright?" Edmond called out my name as I neared him. 

"Yeah...     I'm alright." I smiled softly, looking at the new arrangement on the floor.

The two trapezium-shaped tables on the enlarged balcony had been draped with a silky, emerald green cloth, conjoining with each other to form an irregular hexagon. A single deck laid at one end of the table, a bit of glam clearly noticeable in its design. 

"It's not necessarily the greatest setup...    But it's the best we can do for our own sanity. All the poker tables that we found in the storage room had been vandalised by a certain potato..." The elephant grimaced, before looking back at me. "Do you have any knowledge of poker?"

"Sadly not. I only really know the stuff like- Flush, 3 of a kind, full house...     That kind of thing?"

"Aha, ok. Maybe you'd like a bit of a...    Revision on them?"

"That might be helpful." I sighed. I was getting quite a few flashbacks from the backgammon game with Rebecca, which didn't help in the slightest.

"Very well then. I'll show you." Edmond pulled out a sketchbook and pencil from...         I'm guessing from behind his back. He opened the sketchbook, flipped to a clean page and gripped the dark wooden pencil in his hand.

After a while, he had shown to me the different card formations by sketching them individually, the suit and all. I was refreshed on the topic, and also quite surprised. 

"Heh, you understand a bit more now?"

"...Yeah."

"Glad to hear I could teach you a bit. Now then, let's play some poker!"