(4) Chef Lando

Charlotte Siné

Charlotte Siné

I woke up in the arms of my boyfriend, Charles, a burning smell in my house and hearing the fire alarm turn on.

They had arrived the night before around two in the morning and I didn't have the strength to fight Charles for having brought more people into our home. He told me more or less about her half sister, but the truth is that I didn't pay attention to him since I was more asleep than awake, so I let them stay in our apartment that night.

But waking up smelling like the apartment was going to catch fire wasn't the best way to open your eyes.

"Charles," I whispered to wake him up. "Love, get up. I don't know who is in the kitchen, but they are burning it"

"Can you go see? I need to keep sleeping" he says drowsily.

He removed his strong arms from me and let me go check on who was making a mess in my kitchen. I left the room and the smell of burning intensified, next to that the person was listening music, it seemed that it was in French.

I needed a great explanation from my boyfriend about letting Lando stay at our home and let him cook with music to which he probably didn't even understand the lyrics.

The smoke detector stopped being heard when the boy turned it off with a knife, "Lando, what are you doing?" I was somewhat annoyed.

"Breakfast for everyone" he had a huge smile on his face that made me sad to tell him that what he had prepared was burned.

"You should check the oven because it smells burned" and as I said it his big smile disappeared and a worried face came.

Lando was like a little boy.

He opened the oven and took out a tray of muffins. They were completely black, the time had passed, or the oven was too high, but his mood changed quickly when he saw that he didn't make what he wanted to cook.

"If you want we can prepare something else, and I'll help you" I offered when I saw his disappointment in his eyes.

I began to grab ingredients from the cupboard to prepare something edible when Lando asked something that left me puzzled," What do you think Amélie likes?" I assumed that she was the supposed half-sister of my boyfriend, but I was not well aware of it.

"Who is Amélie?" he needed to confirm to me that it was her.

"Oh, is a girl I met last night. She is sleeping now, but she is my friend". If he tried to cover a lie from Charles it came out terrible, the nervous voice and the movements of his hand gave him away completely.

"Well, I don't know what Amélie might like," I said, trying to soften the atmosphere.

I was a little mad at Charles for coming home so late and for bringing a girl who had never been in our lives just because she was supposedly his half sister, but last night I let her pass as we both really needed to sleep, and my boyfriend had an awful weekend from the accident he had in qualifying.