(10) Homecoming

Amélie

Amélie

Finally, we were in Miami, after sixteen hours of flight plus the four hours we spent in Istanbul, I could say that I was home.

We were at the airport with Lando, waiting for my mother to pick us up. In the call I had with her, she asked me personally to pick us up, she did not want us to ask for an Uber or Lando to feel uncomfortable here being a Formula One driver.

"Do you think your mother will like me?" Norris asked worriedly.

"She already likes you."

"But if she changes her mind?" he persisted. "She simply knows me by video call and because I am who I am."

"You should be more worried about my dad liking you than my mom."

His face turned completely serious, and I snorted, "Your father? Isn't that supposed to be Hervé?"

"For me, my mother's husband is my father. He has been present in my life since I was ten years old, and he is my family" I explained my comment.

"And you think he won't like me?"

"He doesn't like Formula One and even less does he think that her princess spends most of her weekends glued to a television watching cars go around in circles," I recited Hector's words.

"I'm scared." He scratched the back of his neck and looked the other way. "I hope he doesn't kick me out of his house."

"I don't live with them," I laughed. "I have my own apartment but spend most of the time at my parents' house. If you want, you can stay with me" I finally said what I needed to ask so much.

"It scared the hell out of me. Imagine me staying on the street for not liking him." He joined my giggle. "Of course, I'll stay with you, that's why I came."

"Here comes mom," I pointed to my car.

Normally she used it when I wasn't around, and Hector couldn't lend her his.

"In that Toyota?" he asked doubtfully.

"Yes, that's my car," I clarified, "Is there a problem?"

"None, I've just never been in a Toyota before."

"There's always a first time for everything" I was trying to contain my laughter at that.

My mother parked in front of us and got out to help us carry our bags, "Hey guys!" My mom greeted us in our native language.

"Mommy, Lando doesn't understand Spanish," I reminded her.

But Lando made the effort to return my mother's greeting, "Hello, ma'am," he spoke in slow, thick Spanish.

I guess the Spanish classes he received from Carlos had worked.

"Come in, please," she opened the door for us to both get in. "Antonella wanted to come and I couldn't refuse," she explained to us when we saw that the little girl was sitting in the middle seat.