(31) Birthday Gift

Amélie

Amélie

It was the week of my birthday and I would probably spend it completely alone. I hadn't even managed to get permission to go to Italy for the Monza Grand Prix because according to my boss if I had another long weekend he would fire me. Even when I just asked her if I could leave early on Friday and come back on Tuesday, she still wouldn't let me.

Although I tried, it was not successful.

Today was Thursday and mom had asked me to go to her house for dinner. She also asked me to take Monako with me, even though Hector is allergic to dogs. It was strange that one day during the week she would invite me, but I was not going to refuse my mother's delicious homemade food. I left work and went straight to her home. She was at the front door with Anto waiting for me to arrive and also my stepfather who parked his car in the garage minutes later.

"Hello!" My mother hugged me after I got out of the car and walked to them.

"Hi mom," I greeted her back as I pulled Monako out of her cage.

The four of us went into the house together and Anto went to the garden with her father and my puppy while I went into the kitchen with my mother, "Why did you invite me to eat on a Thursday?" I asked the question I had been asking since she sent me a message in the afternoon.

"Your father and I have a surprise for your twenty-two," she said excitedly.

"But I'm due until Sunday."

"I know, but the surprise starts from today" she was putting a pizza in the oven that she had apparently prepared with my half-sister.

"Mommy, you know I have to work until Saturday, right?" I made known my only concern.

"Don't worry about that." She left the kitchen and we went to the garden with the others.

We were all there playing together until the pizza came out of the oven and we sat down at the table to finally eat. It was being a very strange Thursday, however, I was really enjoying being able to have the company of most of my favorite people.

I missed my best friend, Lando though.

Do you still call someone who sees you more than a friend a best friend?

The only presence I had of him at the moment was the pet we shared, as it had been quite a busy week for both of us again and since yesterday morning he hadn't replied to a single message. In fact, the last exchange of words was when he asked me to send him a picture of Monako and nothing else.

And I really understood it, but at the same time it hurt me; More after that happened a few days ago, there was also a possibility that he had even forgotten that Sunday is my birthday.

Maybe he had been angry because I couldn't accompany him to the GP in Monza, but it was something that was out of my hands and as much as I wanted it, it was no longer my decision.