(11) Miami Beach

Lando Norris

Lando Norris

These days with Amélie have been a great adventure for me. She clearly has her whole life here and gets up very, very early to go to the gym and then to work. I spend almost the entire morning alone in her apartment, but I still follow my routine.

It's finally Friday and apparently Antonella asked Amélie to go to the beach that afternoon, after her work. So we were heading to the famous Miami Beach to pamper the chestnut's half-sister, maybe then she wouldn't hate me so much, because of the fact that I don't like fish.

"And can we have lime ice cream?" Anto asked in a boyish voice.

"We can eat whatever you want," I assured the little girl.

"You shouldn't spoil her so much," Amélie mentioned with her eyes on the traffic.

Miami was a city with a lot of traffic. You couldn't run on the roads or even speed up a bit, because you already had a car in front of you, how stressful. And even though I wanted to do it when the post was clear, Amélie's Toyota wouldn't let me do it, especially when I was used to a car with twice the engine power.

"I want to reward the fact that I don't like seafood," I explained to the green-eyed girl.

"What you're doing is buying her to make her like you," she gave me a tiny giggle.

"And if I do, what's wrong with it?"

"She will think that this kind of thing will often happen and who knows when we will see you again."

In part, she was right, on Monday night I was traveling to France for the race weekend, which Amélie had not yet agreed to come with me, and at the moment I had no plans to return to Miami. Maybe in the summer I would visit them, but I still had to think about that and ask Amélie if I could come.

"She will see me on TV and remember to take her to the beach and wherever she wants to go."

"What if we go to Disney tomorrow? I've never been there and all my friends say it's very nice." The five-year-old girl sitting in the back of the car asked, attentive to our conversation.

"Disney? Anto that's a few hours from here," Amélie reminded her sister. The expression of emotion in Antonella's eyes disappeared and changed to one of sadness when her half-sister made her last comment.

I knew about the famous and typical parks of this country, but I had never set foot in one after becoming a Formula One driver. It's not that I couldn't do it, but it was complicated over time and it's not that it was my priority to attend an amusement park for children.

But I could make an exception for them, "We'll leave Miami early tomorrow and go to the park, what do you think Anto?"

Her little face was one of complete happiness, while Amélie's was one of confusion and maybe a bit of anger, "We're not going to Disney," she demanded.