•11•

PUPPET TIGER

•••

"Give it to him, and make sure he consumes it." With an acknowledging nod, the boy exits the room carrying a tray of food. He enters the building's lower level, where the recipient of the

tray food resides.

As you descend the stairs, you can hear the panting man on the verge of exhaustion as he trains in a dark, isolated room, all the while emitting heavy breathing and grunts. He replaced the medication his master had given him with something else, and he threw the pills in the trash. He makes sure there's no other person than him in the place.

He knocked a few times at the black door before the sound of the punching stopped. He flicked on the light, revealing the silhouette of a Tiger Hybrid. "Jeon, you are overdoing it again. Master made your food by himself. He told you to eat it all," he said, passing the tray to the open window next to the door.

He averted his eyes from the man who was opening the window to retrieve his meal. His voice sounds irritated, with a nasty undertone audible in between his words. "Hey, Eun, I thought you would leave?"

The man snorted, concerned for him. "And leave you alone? No way." He knows that their master is just using him and his abilities. They once attempted to flee but were discovered, leading to severe beatings. But not nearly as much as Kook, who accepts responsibility, survives, and endures all the abuse. Having known him since they were young, he is aware of his strength.

Kook asked him to leave him behind and go on his own once last week, but Eun was unable to do it. He won't leave without him. They may not be blood relatives however, they have a strong bond as one.

"You do not get it, Eun, you need to leave me alone before the mission. GO and escape on your own. I am fine." The boy grinned. "Take a short break from your training, Kook," he said, holding him a bottle of water that he gladly accepted. However, his forced smile is not going to fool Eun. He moves toward the hybrid hand in his pockets.

"And leave you behind? Kook I can't do it. I won't leave you. I will think of a way to get us out of here. I don't want you to stay as one of his puppet tigers." Not wanting to burst into tears and yell at him, Kook hissed and looked up at the ceiling. He knows that he is only being used. He is not stupid, he knows that. He cannot just walk away, though, because he still owes him, and he cannot afford to watch Eun get beat up again.

"Do you think it will be successful?" Eun asks. "What do you mean?" he asks, his voice croaking as he inhales deeply and looks up at him. "You know what I mean? I am talking about the future mission you will do."

He remained silent, staring at the ground as he considered.

What's the percent possibility of him getting back alive and the percentage of him dying on the mission?

"Kook, let us go and escape, let us plan it out thoroughly this time. You know you might get hurt seriously this time if the mission fails. I heard from Lester that the company has high security because the highly intelligent owner installed and updated the security system. However, even though I know you are strong, I am not sure what to do if something bad happens to you."

"I am unable to Eun..."

This time, Eun cannot resist yelling at him, "Are you not tired of obeying Richard's orders!? You know he is just using you and your ability, right?" He doesn't care anymore if the upper boys who are guarding the door hear him.

"I know, but you understand why I can't—I owe him my life," he mumbles.

"But you have paid him enough, don't you want to live your own life like a normal individual!? God damn look how he is treating you he is treating you like a slave confiding you in a dark room all just by yourself do you even know how beautiful the outside world is!? You haven't right!? Cause you haven't been outside other than when there is a mission plan out for you and in the end... You're always coming back with bruises on your skin! I- I am sick of seeing you hurt Kook, y-you are like a brother I never had and wish I had. I don't want to lose you." Eun can't help but cry, tears dripping from his eyes, while saying the words that he kept for a long time and that made Kook question himself and stare at the unknown... He wiped away a tear that had fallen down his cheeks. Not wanting Eun to see him weak.

"Eun, hurry up! George is asking you to go into the storage room. What is taking so long?"

With puffy red eyes, Eun casts Kook one last glance. He dabs away his tears and straightens up. After throwing a barrage of words at him, he remained silent and left him dumbfounded. It seems as though several knives have been thrown at him and a truck has struck him. Every word is piercing his heart.

His mind keeps replaying the words that Eun hurls at him.

"Aren't you tired, Kook?"

"He is just using you."

"You're like a brother I never had."

"I don't want to lose you."

He falls to one knee and sobs. He is his only friend—more like a brother—how can he treat him like that? He has been suffering along with him the entire time, but he is holding everything inside of him. He remains because of him. He didn't leave because of him. Furthermore, what sort of person is he to push him away? He does not even realize how he is harming the one person he can truly trust because he is so oblivious to it.

I'm going to get us out of here, Kook.

•••