•16•

INVASION

•••

"Hey Joon, you've got a call!" Ashley, my closest companion, shouted from the lounge.

I let out a frustrated sigh. Why doesn't she simply come here and hand me the phone in real life? Doesn't she realize I'm occupied preparing a meal to consume? I briefly look at her, then redirect my attention back to the frying pan. I can't help but long for Ms. Cho's culinary skills. It has been three days since she requested a week-long break because her nephew fell ill, and she was determined to take care of him. Meanwhile, Minji has been employed abroad for some time now. She is simply observing without taking any action, therefore, I inquire, "Could you please keep an eye on the omelet I am preparing? I want to make sure it doesn't get overcooked."

"I am taking some personal time off."

"I am being completely serious, Ashley. I will lower the gas intensity while you take charge of monitoring my food to prevent it from scorching, relieving you of any additional tasks."

She marches angrily towards me, and he snatches the cooking utensil from my grip and forces me to step back. What an unpleasant person! What reason do I have to be your friend anyway? She muttered to herself, "It's strange, no matter how closely you pay attention, Joon, you always manage to burn it," yet her words are still audible to me. Perfectly audible. "Ashley, cease your voice."

When I looked at my phone, I could see that Kwon had made ten unsuccessful attempts to reach me. It seemed unusual for him to make so many calls. Then, I receive a call notification from Kwon, and I quickly unlock my phone.

"Mr. Kim!" His voice trembles. I flinch as the noise of shattered entrances and fragmented windows reaches my ears.

"What on earth is unfolding right now!? What is causing that sound, Kwon?"

"The research facility has been infiltrated, and chaos reigns." I find it impossible. I personally enhanced the security system. It's not simple for it to be ruined by a hack. Except if...

"Kwo, are you alright? What occurred with the safeguard mechanism?"

"I'm concealing myself as the Tiger Hybrid was the cause of its destruction." I noticed the abrupt noise produced by a forcefully shut door. It is likely that the intruders have arrived. On the opposite side of the conversation, his breathing paused and I could perceive his heavy gasps until an unfamiliar voice responded.

"Why are you present in this place?!" Kwo's words caught in his throat, leaving him speechless. Ashley silently signaled me to refrain from speaking by touching my shoulder and shaking her head in disapproval.

"Where can it be found?"

"I absolutely decline to hand it over to you!"

"You must eliminate him, otherwise, you hold no value."

No... Stop! A deafening reverberation of a firearm is heard on the opposite end, causing me to inhale sharply. Only then did I become aware that I had been gripping my knuckles so intensely that they had paled, as Ashley held and manipulated them in an effort to calm me.

"I demand you search every corner of the building and retrieve that object for me—I. DESIRE. IT."

The conversation concluded as I distinguished the sound of a person hastily ending the call. It is probable that they became aware of our conversation on the phone line. Kwo... Kwo was cruelly killed. It was the fault of those trespassers! As I rush to secure my jacket and make my way towards the main entrance, Ashley firmly clutches onto my arm. "Release me! They need my help!"