•28•

LIFE

•••

Minji POV

I woke up because the sun was shining in my face. The sound of my alarm clock made me grumpy. The bed felt chilly. I squinted as I opened my eyes. Where am I right now? Did everything that happened feel like it was just a pretend story in my sleep?

"Minji, it's time to wake up, or else you might be late."

I heard a familiar voice calling me, and I rushed to see who it was. It was my dad! He was in the kitchen, making his own pizza recipe. "Dad?"

"Minji, can you please go upstairs and wake up your brother? He stays up late studying and playing games."

Joon!? He is back?. I couldn't help but stutter, "H-Is he home?"

He stuck his tongue out and said, "It's Friday, so he doesn't have school today." I went to his room but heard him talking to someone. I was confused and looked to see who he was talking to.

"Sweetheart, are the children all? Oh, Minji, did you sleep well?"

A lady with brown hair and red hair came into the room and is standing next to my dad. I can't see her face because her hair is in the way. "Who are you?" I muttered

Dad laughed and told me not to be silly because the person he was talking to was my mom.

She told me to wake up my brother and help dad clean the kitchen after we made pizza.

"But-" My dad stopped me and said my name in a serious way. I knew I should pay attention to him because it was too early to make him angry. "Sure, I'll do it."

I feel confused as I go upstairs. I wonder if Mr. Min is real or if this is all just a dream. When I see myself in the mirror, I look like I did in high school. I start to question if everything that happened was real or just a dream.

Mom, Dad, and Joon are all okay and doing well. Mom is with us. I felt so happy that tears started to fall from my eyes, and a big smile came on my face.

I went to Joon's room and knocked on the door. He opened it, and I gave him a big hug. He then asks me what was wrong. "Joon, I really want to see you because I miss you a lot."

"You are a weirdo, go away."

I laugh from his words, "Come on, let's go downstairs. Mom and Dad are waiting for us." He nodded and dropped his video game controller and then followed me. I was so happy and relieved that it didn't feel like a dream. I even tried pinching myself to make sure it was real! With a big smile, I went downstairs towards the kitchen, where Mom and Dad were.

I was very surprised when I saw two people I didn't know in our kitchen. I asked my mom and dad who they were and what was going on. The strangers had something covering their faces, like a mask or smoke. But then I realized, they weren't humans.

Oh, my goodness. I looked around to find Joon and tell him what was happening, but it was too late. Two men were pulling on his arms and taking him away from me. I could see that he was hurting!

I scream at them, "Why are you hurting him? Let my brother go!" as I see him bending over in pain. His wings were tied up. When I turned around, my parents were separated by a man yelling, "Wait, no! Stop!" Their mouths were covered with their palms. "Mom, Dad!"

"Wait, guys, who are you and where are you taking them?"

I tried to follow them and grab their hands, but I couldn't. Tears were falling down my face, and I couldn't stop crying. I reached out for them, but I didn't want to lose them. I called out for Joon, Mom, Dad...