•17•

ESCAPE

•••

"Don't forget to check your back!"

He was unaware of the words spoken. The individual standing before him met his demise when a bullet pierced his skull with a whisper. Using his utmost force , he wrestled himself away from the man who had been pressing him down. 

When Eun was unaware, Kook hastily positioned himself in front of him after noticing that one of the individuals had aimed a gun at his back and was about to shoot. To prevent any harm, Kook recklessly fired his weapon as he entered the room where the unidentified person was present. Eun made an attempt to grasp hold of the Kryno Crystal.

After the shootings ceased, Kook directed him to find shelter in an unoccupied chamber on the upper level and meet up with him at that location. "I'll accompany you, Eun! Proceed onwards! I simply must complete this task!"

Eun declined with a shake of his head. He cannot abandon him in this place. There is a possibility he may face harm. They must stay united and depart together. "I refuse," he said, using his weapon to save the man positioned behind Kook by stopping a potential neck stabbing.

"Let's go, now." He ordered Kook to accompany him. Despite some initial doubts, Kook succumbed and trailed behind Eun."

•••

"Are you sure they are here?" Yeon-su inquired. He hastily looked through every room on the ground floor, but they were nowhere to be found. He has also looked for any evidence of where they might have slipped out.

His voice trembles as he asks, "Are they still alive? You sure?"

"I am positive. I spoke with both of them, and they said they would be in a room on the second floor if not on the ground floor. Come on, they are probably waiting."

They meticulously followed the steps taken by the other invaders, keeping a close eye on their backs as Yeon-su trailed behind. They proceeded upstairs, carefully going through each room. Yeon-su heard a menacing voice booming out. "There is someone there, Hyung."

The child was quieted by him as he cautiously crept closer so they could see what was going on. A man in a black cape bent over on his knees with a syringe in his hand and a helpless hybrid owl man on the ground caught their attention. "Look, Hyung, that is a shot that paralyzes him! We ought to help him!"

He checks to see if his gun is loaded. He gestures for Yeon-su to carefully move. He decided to save the man lying on the floor. The two in other rooms can wait.

Thankfully, the man in the black cape was not facing them as he moved toward the room. However, when the man in the suit noticed them both, he gestured for him to remain silent and told him what they were about to do.

Upon receiving the signal, the man nods slightly and gives Yeon-su a reassuring nod, indicating that he will proceed with his plan. He then strikes the man's head with a baseball bat with sufficient force to knock him out.

It was too late for the man to turn around. He was struck so hard that he is now unconscious, for aside from his intelligence, he also possesses a tremendous strength that others do not. Yeon-su goes over to the man who is on the ground and helps him to his feet.

He told the young boy to "wait" and "get the H. serum." Yeon-su nods and stuffs the serum containers into his backpack right away.

"No, they are all in the lobby, do not use the elevator."

He warned them when they were about to use the elevator beside the room. "Yeon-su, wait for me in the car."

"Now way! What about you!?"

"Go get him in the car; I will go look for them. I will be back."

•••

In an attempt to find out if they were in one, he hurried and barged into every second-floor room he passed. Just as he was going downstairs to see if they were still there, in the opposite room, the final room, he heard muffled cries and sniffles. He moves forward and opens the door fully. He thought it was empty. His eyes widen.

With tears streaming down his cheeks and his hands stained with Eun's blood, Kook said, "Jinnie, what took you so long? Help me, he got shot protecting me. Eun is hurt." He was attempting to stop the bleeding on his arm.

He gave the boy the order, "Help me bring him to the car." And with that, he retrieved Eun's bag and carried it. "Eun, hang in there." In response, Eun can only whimper since he is unable to form a word.

"Wait. Not there. Let's go the other way."

Kook whispered, "Someone is coming," and drew them away from the stairs. "What? We're almost near my car -

His words were cut short when Kook pushed him into the cabin with Eun.

"Kook, what are you doing?" Eun shut his mouth to keep him quiet. "Trust him, Jinnie, he knows what he's doing."

"Look who's here. Where's Eun!?"

"I am looking for him too, I do not know."

"What's with the blood on your hands?"

"I—I was shot."

"Why are you here? Where are the others?"

"Back off, child. What is up?"

"No. Go, the master is looking for you. You should go."

"Pup, back off!"

Before he can reach Jinnie and Eun's cabin, the man says, "No, you can't. I told you so." He then twists the man's hand and pins him to one of the tables. The man made an effort to resist, but he is too frail. He made an attempt to grab his other gun from his back pocket, but Kook grabbed it before he could react and pointed it at his temple.

"Ah, what is wrong with you? Please let go!"

"Luc, you really did not impress me the first time I saw you. You wasted my opportunity to let you go, even though I told you not to. Now you are in trouble."

•••

With his bag thrown over his shoulder, he uses his other hand to wipe the blood on his face. Pushing through, he charges into the chaos. Once he was certain the area was clear of his master's other men, he went to the cabin, where he shoved the two. The cabin door slammed open, revealing Kook, whose clothes were even more stained with blood.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes, I am. Let us head out. He is gone. We can depart now," he said, reassuring the two.

As Kook continued to check their backs as they made their way to where his car was parked, Jinnie eyed the man, whose head was now dripping with blood, nodding and helping Eun up.

Upon realizing that the car was missing from its designated spot, he muttered to himself, "Shit, where are they!?"

"Jinnie here, come on!" He turned to face Yeon-su, who was operating the vehicle.

"Why are you not where I told you to stay?!"

"I decided to swap places because they found me, so please fasten your seatbelts."

"Drive carefully! We have two injured individuals here!"

Yeon-su overstepped the pedal and exclaimed, "I will try." Their heads banged against the seat in front of them as a result of the motion. The boy laughed, but the man behind him is not amused by what he did.

"YEON-SU!!!"

•••