Chapter 4

The next morning as Anthony promised he arrived at the Silvester house in search of Delilah to begin helping her. He trekked up to her bedroom passing the cracked door to the study. He came face to face with her door and knocked lightly, "Delilah?" He called softly.

Anthony waited for a moment before cracking the door softly, "Delilah?" He called again, walking in. When he entered the room he was met with an empty bed however. His eyes widened just a bit before realizing. The cracked door to the study. She had gone back either sometime after he left or early this morning.

He went quickly down the stairs and came to the door of the study, looking in he found Delilah in worse condition than the night before. "Taxs...my dowry...mamas doctors..." She mumbled. She slumped forward in the chair, he walked in further and could now see the fresh stains of tears.

 "Delilah, what are you doing?" Her head shot up. "Anthony! I-I woke up early. Mother is now bedridden and things need to be done." She explained. Anthony sighed at her remark. "Delilah come now, to the dining room. We are having breakfast, and then you are going to sleep. There is a ball tonight and you need to have fun." He said taking her hand and pulling her out of the room.

Delilah at this point had no choice but to comply, letting herself be pulled to the dining room. As she sat down with Anthony the servants came in quietly with different plates of food. As Delilah looked around the table, she realized how much she really had been failing to take care of herself.

"Did you sleep well?" Anthony asks her. Delilah's head shoots up, crumbs of food around her mouth. Anthony chuckles. She quickly picks up a napkin and cleans up her face, "So sorry, my lord. Mother and-" But once again Anthony cuts her off.

"Anthony, Delilah. Do not call me, my lord." He says. Delilah looks at him with wide eyes. Then she smiles, and once again Anthony finds himself feeling more than friendship spark within him.

"Anthony. Thank you. I did not realize how I was famishing myself until now." She speaks. Anthony gives her a smile, "Well. It's a good thing I have come then, it's time you let others help you." He says.

Delilah smiles a little brighter this time. "I suppose it is."

The season's opening ball at the Danbury House is the most highly sought-after invitation indeed. For every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street knows, if anyone can throw a crush of a party - it's Lady Danbury.

The Danbury Estate. A beautiful mason with elegant features brought out by the vast decorations that adorne the roof, floor, and walls.

Tonight, the answers to our most urgent of questions will finally be revealed.

In walks the Bridgerton family. Daphne enters first with Violet, her mother. And then Delilah, with Anthony. The rest pf the family following closely behind. Both the girls look around, then at each other. Both of them amazed by the sheer beauty spiking around the elegance. "Mama...it is magical." Daphne says.

At the sound of her voice, men turn to look at her. They smile, Daphne smiles back. "It is certainly captivating." Delilah agrees. The men look at her. They too smile. But, Delilah is only interested in one man.

Which bachelors might forsake their terribly rakish ways for the exquisitable blisses of matrimony instead.

Anthony brings Delilah closer and walks up beside Daphne. Glaring at everyone who sends them a smile. Specifically more for Delilah then Daphne. He leans over to Violet. "They are all staring, mother." He whispers.

Violet looks at Daphne and Delilah, she smiles widely. "Allow them to come to you, dearest's." She advises. Daphne nods, and Delilah, well, she still only looks for one man's eye.

Which ladies shall forever capture their hearts? Thereby securing their futures. And avoiding the grim, dismal condition known as a spinster.

Daphne and Delilah accompanied by both Violet and Anthony are approached by a man in his 30's, and quite handsome. He looks at both Daphne and Delilah, but his gaze is a little more focused on Daphne.

"Lady Bridgerton. Miss Bridgerton. Miss Silvester." He greets. He then turns to Anthony, a little tense however, "Lord Bridgerton."

"I believe you have already been introduced to my daughter, Daphne, and her friend, Delilah. Girls, Lord Ambrose." Violet introduces the two girls. Daphne gives him a charming smile, and Delilah gives him a light tipped one.

Lord Ambrose nods his head, "Yes. We met at your brother's levee.". "If I recall, my lord, you had just won your first race at Newmarket." Daphne says. Delilah stands a little behind, uninterested. She turns to Anthony as Daphne makes conversation.

"Must we be here? Mama is at home, I need to be with her." Delilah says. Anthony looks at her with a towering gaze, "Delilah. You need to get out of that study. And, your mother would want you here, finding a suitor." He reminds. "You're a pretty girl, a beautiful one. Don't waste your talents in taxes." Delilah sighs in agreement.

Anthony turns to look at Lord Ambrose and Daphne, then suddenly something in his eye changes. "I have not had the pleasure of seeing you at our club lately, Ambrose." His gaze hardened as he spoke. "Should it have anything to do with the unpaid balance you left on our betting books winter last? You remember that, yes? I do." Anthony says sharply.

Lord Ambrose holds a small glare with Anthony before giving up. He nods curtly at Daphne and Delilah, then leaves them.

"Lord Ambrose is a cheat. A man of any honor ensures his debts are fully paid." Anthony comments as the three start to stroll again. "I did not realize..." Daphne whispers. Delilah squeezes her arm. "It's okay Daphne. We'll find you an honorable suitor." She says. Daphne nods her head. "You as well, we shall both be married by the end of the season." She says.

Daphne nods her head, but her gaze is distant. "Yes..yes, of course Daph." She says. Daphne smiles widely and walks ahead.

"She's right, you know. You will find a suitor." Anthony's voice comes from behind her. Delilah looks at him and nods. They lock eyes. Both hearts race, tension. A blush coats Delilah's cheeks. "Yes. Yes, I hope so." She says.

"Delilah!" Daphne calls. The two jump but quickly settle down looking at her. Anthony takes Delilah's arm and walks with her to Daphne. The group begins to walk through the crowd. Anthony's gaze looks to all the men around the room, pointing out everyone's flaws.

"A Mister Duncan Lewis." He begins. "He is rather pleasing." Delilah comments at the gentleman they had passed. Anthony draws her closer, his grip on her arm hardening slightly. "He is here to shuffle about hunting fortunes. Trust Mister Lewis knows of your sizable dowry. Leave him be." He says softly to Delilah. His breath hunts just behind her ear. She nods quietly.

"I presume you know him, too?" Daphne then asks. The two turn to look at the man she sees. Another fine gentleman. "Mister Worthington. Second son. We shall find better." Daphne nods a little dejected, but continues on.

As they continue walking, Anthony points out other fine young men. Explaining every flaw he knows of.

"He is of dubious parentage." He points to another, "I shall not have you making a life with a poet, heaven forbid." And another one, "Nor an eccentric. My word."

Daphne's original hope for the night slowly begins to dwindle. Delilah's never there in the first place. But, she puts a comforting arm around Daphne, "It's okay."

"Anthony! Daph! Delilah!" A voice calls. The three turn around to Benedict and Colin approaching them. Anthony sighs. Somehow pulling Delilah closer, her body now tucked into his side. Daphne notices it and smiles. 

"If the only upstanding gentlemen present this evening are my brothers, then we are in a great deal of trouble." He remarks to Delilah. She giggles, and Anthony just stares with a smile. Now, all three siblings see it. Anthony, although blind to it, likes her.

"You continue to say we, yet-" Daphne begins, but she is interrupted by Colin who walks over and slings an arm around her shoulder. "Did mother tell you yet? About my tour? I am to begin in Greece." He gloats.

"Greece? How adventurous, Colin-", but this time she is interrupted by Anthony. "On guard." He nods towards Lady Danbury, who is swiftly approaching. All three boys quickly look to exit. But, it is too late.