Chapter 61

Delilah gasped, she could hear breaths and murmurs across the room. Her eyes locked to Anthony's before her head twisted to Williamson. Edwina Sharma was a fine woman, but she was not the one he wanted.

Anthony, as if could sense her thought, followed her body language as both turned to the new Lord to move and stop his decision but it was already set when the couple turned and saw his eyes set upon Miss. Sharma's already shaking figure.

Delilah felt the breath leave her body, the season's diamond had been chosen. And her ward's decision was set. Williamson was out to marry Miss. Edwina Sharma, and Delilah was going to do everything within her power to stop it.

"Darling, I know what you are thinking." Anthony whispered.

Delilah looked up at him, "Then help me, he cannot marry her. His heart belongs to a mystery woman here. I need to find who she is, help me, he needs love."

Anthony watched Delilah's eyes pin in care for Williamson. But, it wasn't love in her eyes. No, it was the care of a sibling and that was when it clicked for Anthony.

Delilah did not have siblings, but Williamson had filled in for her as a little brother. Williamson was what Anthony's brother and sister were for her. Williamson had come in at the moment and became Delilah's family in a way the Bridgertons could only partially fill.

 Even if not by blood Anthony could see it in her eyes.

Williamson had become her brother. Her ward.

And Delilah would help, protect, and save him at all costs.

Williamson was moving then however, as he came and offered his hand smoothly and guided Miss. Sharma to the dance floor. He would assess his bride, and whether she fit for him or not, she would be the one.

She was the diamond, and that was the best.

"Forgive my directness." Williamson began, "Do you have any thoughts about children?"

"Other than the fact that I desire them so?" Miss. Sharma answered "However many I have, my lord, I shall feel most fortunate. Together with my husband, we will chart the best course."

Williamson smiled, "How very sensible. Do you play any instruments, by chance?"

Miss. Sharma chuckled softly, "Many, in fact. But, for the most part, my education was taken up by more serious pursuits. Modern language, classical literature. I do love to read."

"You do not seem discomposed by my questioning." Williamson complimented.

"Why ever would I be? A man who knows what he wants is most admirable."

Williamson nodded in appreciation, "Is your father in attendance? I should like to speak with him."

Miss. Sharma shook her head sadly, "My father died years ago."

Williamson nodded his head, "Ah. I'm so sorry, as did mine."

Williamson paused his movements with Miss. Sharma as the music came to an end around the room.

 "Though, perhaps you could speak to my sister. It is her blessing you shall need if we are to... Oh! Here she is now." Miss. Sharma stood straighter as her sister approached.

"Kate!"

Williamson turned as Lady Danbury and Kate Sharma walked over to the two. "Ah, Lord Aevery. I see you've met Miss. Edwina. This is-"

Williamson felt the breath leave him as his eyes captured that of the woman from both the field and the last ball out in the night air of the garden. The same woman with ghastly manners and striking personality and a tongue as sharp as the dears he and his father would have trouble shooting as they ran through the trees.

"Her sister." He mumbled.

"Lord Averey is a most excellent dancer. Perhaps I may learn a thing or two from you, my lord." Miss. Sharma complimented.

Williamson did not hear her however, as his eyes stayed focused on who he now knew as Kate Sharma. It was only as he watched her walk away with Edwina did his mind regain and he moved from the dance floor.

"She is a lovely diamond, Williamson." Delilah said to him as he came off.

"Indeed. She is who I shall marry."

Color, clarity, carat, cut. At long last, the queen has named her most precious stone.

While this author finds Miss. Edwina Sharma to be an exceptional young lady, it is about time I used these pages of record for something else.

A shift.

Is the entire practice of naming a diamond not...well, rather ridiculous? Should a woman not be valued for so much more than her dancing skills or her comportment?

Should we not value a woman instead for her candor, her character, her true accomplishment?

Perhaps if the queen abandoned this absurdity that is the diamond, we would all see that a woman can be so much more. 

Real love, harsh commitmentजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें