Chapter 62

Dearest reader. It has been said that competition is an opportunity for us to rise and stand ready before our greatest challenges. Well, if what this author hears this morning is true, then a great challenge concerning this season's diamond has been set forth, indeed.

Any suitor wishing to gain an audience with Miss Edwina Sharma must first tame the rather prickly spinster of a beast otherwise known as her sister.

Delilah and Anthony walked down to the dining room of the Silvester household at midday for lunch. She had spent the morning with Anthony having breakfast and both had then traveled over to dine with Williamson who had seemed rather distressed after the event the night previous.

"You look so sullen." Delilah teased as she took a seat opposite the table to Williamson.

She heard him groan. Her eyes flashed to Anthony and they both shared an amused look. Recently, Anthony had grown accustomed to Williamson's presence and had accepted the role Williamson had taken as a brotherly figure.

Now, he was taking another role of being an older brother and Delilah loved watching the two connect.

"Does Miss. Edwina return your affection?" Anthony asked.

Williamson sighed from his seat and brought a hand to his head, "Not yet. She would have done if it were not for-"

"The sister." Anthony nodded. Williamson hummed in agreement.

Delilah looked between the two who had suddenly formed an agreement over Kate Sharma, "She's rather thorny, I take it?".

Williamson nodded at Delilah. "Indeed. Though she need not trouble me. Every rose does have its thorns, after all."

Delilah hummed, "I think you should chase after the mysterious woman who seems to have a permanent residence in your head."

"Delilah. That woman will never marry me and I will never marry her." Williamson grumbled.

Delilah scoffed, "You say that because you are ignoring your chance for love."

Of course, the only competition that compels my attention is the game of courtship. So best of luck to this year's players.

Do try not to stumble on the starting line.

Williamson stood in front of the Danbury estate. Theoretically, he should be in the estate having his moment to speak with Miss. Edwina Sharma, his future wife. Theoretically, that should be where he is.

Realistically, he is kept on the threshold as her sister, Kate Sharma, the mysterious woman from the forest with the manners of a sullen hippo and the grace and appeal of a swan. Realistically, he is far away from Miss. Edwina Sharma.

"Miss. Sharma, am I to be kept at this threshold all day?" He asked impatiently. "Lumley's already had an inordinate amount of time with her."

Kate looked up at him, "That is because my sister is so enraptured with him at the moment. You wouldn't want me to interrupt your discourse when it is your turn, would you?"

"I say we heed the young lady and wait with the grace our hostess affords us." Williamson replied.

"Thank you, Lord.."

"Averey."

Kate nods her head and leads him into the estate and up the stairs where one of the many Danbury drawing rooms was nestled into the perfectly decorated house.

He heard Kate sigh in front of him, "I'm afraid you are much too late, my lord. You now find yourself at the back of a very considerably long queue."

Williamson could feel his hairs grow gray, "I wish to escort Miss. Edwina to the races this afternoon."

"My sister already has an escort this afternoon." Kate dismissed.

"Tomorrow then."

"She is engaged tomorrow too."

"And the day after?" Williamson asked.

Kate looked around for a moment, "Now that I think about it she may be free..."

Williamson sighed quietly, "Ah."

"After December. Unless of course, she is on her honeymoon by then." Kate remarked.

Williamson laughed slightly.

Kate looked up at him again, "Did I say something funny?"

"I believe you did." Williamson nodded his head down at the woman in front of him.

Kate took a breath and with a look of anger stepped only slightly closer to Lord Averey. However, Lord Averey did not move back. Williamson stood his ground as Kate approached slightly and if not for his anger raging towards the woman, he would have paid attention to how perfectly her height fit to his stature.

"What is funny, my lord, is you here now, after what I overheard the other night-"

Williamson interrupted her, "That was not for your ears."

Kate ignored him, "But also, in addition to everything I have now read about you, your dubious and libertine reputation goes before you. Even if you are new to this town and under the watch of a very respectable lady."

Williamson pushed past her but was stopped by the men waiting at the door, "No instructions, Averey. End of the line." One of the men said.

 Williamson sighed, he was going to get to Miss. Edwina Sharma one way or the other. He would make sure of it.