Chapter 20

After a few more moments Delilah removed herself when Violet came in. "Delilah dear, I would love it if you would join me and Daphne for tea with Lord Berbrooke's mother." Delilah looked up at Violet confused but accepted non the less. "Certainly Violet, let me just freshen up."

Delilah walked out and down to a powder room. She dabbed water at her eyes and dried her face, she fixed a few stray hairs and adjusted some jewelry that had been moved. When she arrived back Anthony was gone but Daphne, Violet, and Lady Berbrooke sat around a small table with tea and a multitude of pastries.

Delilah took her place in between Daphne and Violet. She could see Lady Berbrooke's eyes following her, but she made no comment on her presence in the room. She then turned to Violet, her eyes changing from judgment to admiration. 

"Nigel is my one and only child." Violet nodded her head with fake interest towards Lady Berbrooke, "Very special boy, indeed. In fact, I often say God did not bless me with another because perfection has already been achieved." Lady Berbrooke chuckled.

Delilah had been raised with manners, but she had to hold onto every scolding her mother ever gave to resist groaning.

"My goodness." Violet commented in fake astonishment. But Lady Berbrooke bought it. She turned to Daphne bringing her hand around and motioning to her, "Miss. Bridgerton allow me to set my eyes upon you." 

Daphne trudged out of her chair and bent down before Lady Berbrooke. Lady Berbrooke had taken her hand and placed it delicately under Daphne's chin, turning softly side to side inspecting her.

"Certainly healthy. Even if your countenance is a bit drawn." Delilah's hold on her tea cup tightened. She wanted nothing more than to scold Lady Berbrooke. But, Violet had sensed the girl getting restless and put her hand softly on her shoulder begging her to calm down.

Lady Berbrooke shook her head realising the hold on  Daphne, "You must try harder, dear. My Nigel is discerning. He already turned away many more handsome debutantes, saying, 'Mother..I prize accomplishment over beauty..'" Lady Berbrooke chuckled,

"Can you believe it?" She bit loudly off of a pastry, her rather hideous laugh bouncing off the walls. Delilah cringed inward, wondering when this would end.

Daphne returned to her seat and held her tea cup, she had taken minuscule bits out of her pastry. But she had made no real attempt to eat, and Lady Berbrooke had noticed. "You ate but not one bite at tea, my dear!"

Lady Berbrooke placed her tea cup down. "A young lady must be well fed if she is to bear children. Kippers on rye every morning worked wonders for me when I conceived Nigel." She turned to Delilah chuckling. Delilah gave her a very bright, fake, smile. She chuckled halfheartedly as well and brought her own tea up to take an aggressive sip.

When Lady Berbrooke had finally left, one of the Bridgertons handmaid's came in. Violet jumped up and placed herself close to her. "What have you found out?" She asked. Daphne and Violet got up as well now curious. Delilah placed herself next to the hand maiden and Daphne next to her mother.

"What is going on?" Daphne asked.

Violet turned to Daphne with a wide look, "You can not think I'd ask that woman for tea without a thought, could you? The help hear everything, as we all know. She has heard a good deal, in fact."

Delilah turned her attention to the handmaid as she was bubbling in joy. "Lord Berbrooke has a boy by one of his maids they refused to provide for. Sent the maid and child to live on scraps. Horrible man." The maid finished.

Delilah let out a quiet gasp at the information, but it was coming clear to her that this was all they needed to be fully rid of Berbrooke once and for all. "Horrible enough for us to be rid of him, let us pray." Delilah said quietly.

Daphne had her own concerns though, "And who will believe a group of women over a mans word?" She asked. Violet turned to her daughter, "Perhaps no one." But then her face spread into a smug look. A hint of mischief placed behind her eyes.

 "But they will if Lady Whistledown does. So we shall do what women do. We shall talk."

So the women did just that, at the ball that night. Delilah was with Anthony the whole time, but every chance she had with another woman or friend, she put the seeds of scandal in their minds concerning Berbrooke.

Of course, Violet and Daphne had talked as well. And the handmaids did certainly spread the word through their side of the community. But when Lady Whistledown's edition was released the next morning. Violet, Daphne, Delilah, and Rose, who Delilah later figured out was the name of the handmaid, all gathered in the drawing room.

It has come to this author's attention that the ton is abuzz with a most sordid tale.

It is said one cannot judge a book by its cover. But in the case of the bumbling Baron Berbrooke, it seems his displeasing appearance is quite an apt metaphor for the state of affairs in his household.

I would not be surprised if Lord Berbrooke were called away to the country on alleged business. Business which, perhaps, might involve sending some most overdue funds to one former maid and young boy, who we can only hope takes after his mother.

After the ladies finished reading it, Anthony came in, guilt colored over his features. "I have heard talk that Berbrooke has left town. I think this solution to our problem did not come by chance. I am resolved to handle matters differently in the future. Or perhaps not at all."

 Delilah chuckled and walked over, placing herself by Anthony's side. He gladly welcomed her, putting a firm arm around her waist. Violet turned to her son, no hint of anger or disappointment coming out.

"I know society has dictated your present role in the family, Anthony, but with Daphne officially out, I assure you, I am more than capable." She then turned to Daphne, "This is for Daphne." Violet brought out flowers.

"Tulips. They symbol passion. A most appropriate hem for your sister when she decides to marry the duke." She then turned to face Delilah and Anthony. "Perhaps your bride would like the same."

Delilah felt her face erupt into a blush. Anthony's arm tightened around her waist and Delilah stuffed her head into his side in an attempt to mask the redness protruding through her thin layers of powder. "Goodnight, mother." Anthony said. He was just as flustered.

"Goodnight Daphne." Delilah squeaked exiting the room with Anthony. Once the two fully left and entered the study alone they broke out into laughter.

And all was okay that night. Because Delilah had Anthony. And Anthony had Delilah. Nigel Berbrooke was gone, and Daphne free. And Daphne had the Duke. And the world spun on, and for a moment, true peace settled in the air as Anthony gazed lovingly at Delilah's laughing form.

----------

Hello!!!!

Okay let me just thank everyone first, 3k!! THANK YOU!!!!

When I started writing this I didn't think I would get this far, but it makes my day when I see supportive comments. You all make it worth it to write, and I'm so grateful. 

On another note, I have some serious drama in store for lovely Miss. Delilah and Mr. Anthony. But it shall all be published in due time so be patient. Until then I hope you've enjoyed the book so far and i'm excited to start working on episode 3!

- Fluffycow54