Oceans Apart - Chapter 40

Miss Marina Thompsons fall from grace continues to echo through every drawing room in town, days after it was revealed her engagement to Colin Bridgerton was nothing more than a shame. Of course, a lady's disgrace does merely tarnish her own name.

Like the tars on the Thames, it also leaves a horrid smear by anyone nearby.

Delilah was present with Eloise and Violet at Madam Delacroix's. Eloise was once again trying to convince her mother to delay her debut, and with Whistledown's latest publishing, it made it almost slightly easier.

"This scandal could very well tarnish my debut, Mama. Perhaps we should delay my coming out altogether a few years." Eloise complained.

Violet was so caught up in the success with Daphne however. Eloise was going to be another princess swept off her feet. Except she wasn't.

"Hush, child, all will be well. Just keep smiling." Violet said.

"Can a smile be enough to save the Featherington's? Penelope and her sisters did nothing wrong, but their reputation is ruined." Eloise said, looking around.

"You should be worrying about your own family's fortunes at present. We are in just as perilous position." Violet grumbled, "Lovely day, is it not Lady Richmond?"

Lady Richmond did respond to Violet. Instead she nodded quickly and scuttled away.

"It's this Whistledown." Delilah scoffed. "I certainly never want to cross the woman. Her word as good as gospel."

"Yes." Violet sighed.

"Though, perhaps if she can destroy a reputation she can restore one to." Delilah wondered. But her attention was drawn back at Madam Delacroix gasp.

"Tres elegante, Miss Bridgerton." She was right. Eloise was just as beautiful as Daphne wether she agreed or not. Delilah was looking at the next debutante for the Bridgertons, Eloise having no say whatsoever.

"What a debutante you will be!" Delilah teased. Eloise threw her a glare and a loose string of ribbon as Delilah scuttled off with a laugh.

While there is no parasol in the world strong enough to shelter a ruined woman, the fallen Miss Thompson can only hope she shall find a refugee..somewhere.

Colin had made tremendous efforts to visit Miss Thompson in any time he had. It was inevitable that the boy had to wait though. But, Anthony was not making it easier. Adding on the Whistledown's publishing's had thrown two of the most prominent families in the London season to the spotlight, it was a rush of chaos.

"Miss Thompson lies in agonies over these lies. Why can I not visit her?" Colin demanded. He had stormed into the study where Delilah and Anthony had been settling the Silvester's taxes and payments. Delilah had almost never see him that mad, but he had been once before when Anthony refused his blessing.

"Colin-" Anthony began. But Delilah cut him off, it was time for Colin to understand.

"Listen to me." Her voice was stern.

"That the ton devours every bit of Whistle Down on-dit is the only thing keeping your family from shame. Because of her, no one believes you are the father of Miss Thompson's child. But if you were to go near her, they'll presume you are responsible for her ruin, and your sisters will pay the price for your notoriety."

Delilah paused to take a breath looking at Colin for a moment. "Is that what you desire?"

"Of course not, but-"

"Evening, everyone!" A voice from the hallway called. Delilah's eyes shot to the doorway where she rushed quickly. That voice, that voice she had heard only days before. The voice of-

"Daphne!"

Delilah cried in happiness at the sight of her friend. She jumped forward quickly bringing her into a hug. "What are you doing here? Should you not be frolicking in newlywed bliss?" Delilah asked.

"I came as swiftly as our carriage would allow when I heard the news." Daphne explained.

"In the middle of your honeymoon?" Delilah said, taking in the tense stature that inhabited her friend. "Hastings must surely be cursing the Bridgerton name for this. Where is he anyhow?" Delilah asked, looking back towards the main door.

"He went to set up Hastings House." Daphne said curtly.

"We have all things in order, sister. We do not require your assistance." Anthony said.

Delilah only moaned under her breath at Anthony's stubborn ways, "That is simply not true, and you know it Anthony." she grumbled.

"Daphne may be the answer to all our problems. Once the ton sees that we still have the favor of the duke and duchess, then the whispers may very well cease, and we shall go about our daily lives as if nothing has happened, as if nothing is awry." Violet said coming to Daphne's side.

"And no one will be the wiser." Delilah added.

"Pretending that nothing is amiss is the perfect way to lure the ignorant into submission. Is it not, mama?" Anthony asked with a frown.

But Anthony was ignored.

"Now, what grand event will the ton be descending upon this week?" Daphne asked. "Surely there is something?"

Delilah stepped closer to Anthony as her head dropped, "The, um..."

"The queen is hosting a luncheon. I am certain the duke and I can secure an invitation. If we are lucky, our return will give everyone so much to talk about, they simply have no breath left to discuss other matters." Daphne nodded.

"Oh, young love." Delilah laughed. Daphne gave her a playful glare.