Chapter 18

This author has often thought the heart a most curious of instruments, heading neither reason nor rank. For what possible explanation might Miss Bridgerton have for entertaining the suit of a mere baron when she seems to have secured a duke?

Could the debutante's mind not be the only thing amiss? Certainly not as it comes to my ears that Miss. Silvester might not fully be in love with Lord Bridgerton, but there for the escape of a years old arranged marriage she wants nothing to do with.

"Delilah you know I am not mad at you right, what Whistledown writes is nothing compared to the truth." Anthony said looking at Delilah's tearful eyes. The latest edition of Lady Whistledown sat on the desk of the Silvester study. "And what is the truth Anthony?" She said.

Anthony walked close to her, his breath fanning her face, torso just barely pushed against her own. He brought his hand up to her cheek. "That I am courting you because I truly have feelings for you. Even if I don't quite know how to express them." He whispered. But Delilah heard it, and she looked up to Anthony with the brightest eyes he had ever seen.

She moved her hand to cup the hand brushing her cheek. "Then let it be known that I have feelings as well, and have had them for a while." She whispered back. Anthony smiled down at her, Delilah returned it. "Then let us make this a real courtship."

He leaned down and sealed the gap. A light kiss, a light touch. But there were so many explosions. Delilah's chest was swelling in joy, she returned the kiss. The room suddenly felt lighter. The inexplicable tension softened. And when Anthony opened his eyes, he knew it was right. Everything in that moment was so right.

Let it be known, dear reader, that if another bizarre behavior portends yet another scandal, then be sure that I shall uncover it, for there is nothing like an excursion into nature to lift the spirits and loosen the tongue.

The Bridgerton family was now at the park like many other families. A tent had been set up, and the family was acquainted below it shielding them from the ferocious blaze of the sun.

Delilah was perched by Anthony's side, his grip on her was as firm as it usually was, but he had become more sweet. He had taken every chance to steal little kisses, peck her cheek, hold her hand, and most prominently keep a hand around her waist so her frame (which was rather small compared to him) was tucked into his side most of the time.

The mood surrounding the family had been joyous and comfortable until a voice stormed up to the side of the tent disrupting any and all conversations.

"Bridgerton!" Nigel called walking up, an unusual peppiness about him. "What have you done?" Delilah whispered. Anthony had turned so that he was facing Berbrooke, bringing Delilah around so that she stood between him and his mother who was just next to her.

"I bring cheerful news, Bridgertons. I have taken matters in my own hands and sought a special license for my wedding to Miss. Bridgerton." He brought forth a small piece of paper. But even something so small and insignificant held all the power at that moment. Nigel Berbrooke had truly sought out a marriage license. And looking at it, Delilah was terrified.

Daphne and Simon had both arrived as well, and as quickly as they had been caught up they quickly expressed both concern and fear.

"There is to be no wedding." Delilah stammered. Anthony slid a hand back to squeeze her hand, "I told you. The arrangement is canceled." He said handing the paper back to Nigel.

Violet walked around Delilah, trying to clear the scene that was beginning to unfold. People were beginning to look. Stares and whispers were both felt and heard throughout the park. And Delilah had the feeling it wasn't just Berbrooke's actions causing the whispers, but the recent article concerning her and Anthony's courtship.

"Lord Berbrooke, you look in a great deal of pain. Shall we continue this in a more private location?" Violet suggested fighting to clear the tension. Berbrooke dismissed her offer however, his gaze locked with Anthony. "I require no further conversation." He turned to Violet.

"Though, perhaps I am finally speaking to the true head of the Bridgerton house." Delilah was now angry. How dare this man come in and insult the family with this disgusting marriage and comment on Anthony's deservance of a stupid title. But, Nigel kept speaking, turning back to Anthony.

"For if it were you, I imagine you would have instructed your sister to take better care than to encourage certain attentions while alone with me on the Dark Walk at Vauxhall." Nigel then smiled with his protruding yellow teeth.

Delilah could feel the glare Simon had granted Berbrooke even though it was not directed to her. She had never seen him so furious.

"Of course, mere hearsay of such a scandal could wreak havoc on even the most influential families." Delilah shook her head, "I was there in Vauxhall with you and Daphne, there is no scandal to be heard." She argued. But Nigel had apparently thought ahead with his threat, because her comment didn't faze him.

"What would someone like, say, Lady Whistledown do with such unseemly information? Especially if there was the version where Miss. Delilah Silvester was never there, and it was just me and Miss. Bridgerton." Nigel's smile grew as he finished. Delilah looked up at him in shock. He wouldn't? He wouldn't really leak a false version of the story, would he?

"Is that a threat?" Anthony growled. "It is certainly not." Nigel said calmly. He then chuckled just a bit, Delilah could feel the disgust inching off of Anthony.

"Because in three days, I am to marry. I have the diamond of the season. I have the very best the ton has to offer. I have a Bridgerton. And I shall save her, as well as your entire family, from the ruin which you could not protect them. I shall even save the Silvester's as well." At his last sentence, Anthony slipped a tight arm around Delilah's waist. She had never been so grateful to sink into his side.

Nigel chuckled, "I look forward to the union of our families." He looked at Delilah for a moment and looked so smug. But his eyes turned back to Anthony a moment later, "Bridgerton." He then turned to Simon, "Hastings."

And then he walked away, and one look at Daphne's face made her heart shatter. Fear, disgust, sadness. Delilah could only guess what was going through her mind, but she thought at this point the newfound hope Daphne had acquired with knowing she and Berbrooke were no more was gone. And Delilah was beginning to panic herself.