Chapter 31

The next day Delilah stormed into the Bridgerton house, when she went into the study and found Daphne and Colin. It looked as if Daphne had been trying to convince him to tell her where they had gone. But when Delilah walked in, her appearance in shambles Colin's confidence faltered.

"Colin. Where is Anthony?" Delilah demanded.

As soon as they were told they fled to the stables. Delilah jumped on Anthony's horse, Daphne, on her own. And they bolted. Delilah was faster than Daphne. Pushing her horse to the limits, she could make out the trees where the two men were.

Delilah saw the guns being lifted. She made her horse go faster. The click of the guns resounded through the field. She could feel the tears in her eyes. Her horse came up right as some had yelled stop and a shot rang out.

"Delilah!" Anthony's voice rang in her ear, "Daphne!" Simon said as she rode up on her own horse.

"Delilah stand aside." Anthony pleaded. "Oh, good god!" Delilah panted. Anthony then faltered, rushing up to her taking her face in his hands.

"Are you hurt? Tell me!" Anthony demanded, though his eyes hovered in worry. Delilah shook his hands off, turning between the two men and Daphne. "I am perfectly well, no thanks to you idiots."

Anthony looked at her in confusion. "What are you playing at?"

"Says the man who shot at me!"

"You rode in the middle of a duel!"

Delilah scoffed. Anthony swore under his breath and looked between Delilah and Daphne. "I require a moment with the duke."

Simon nodded, "Make it brief." Daphne argued though. Delilah couldn't hear what she was saying until her temper had faltered and she had said something that made Delilah falter in her own step.

"Cressida Cowper witnessed us in the garden. She knows. It is not merely your own life that hangs in the balance now. If you do not marry me, I shall be ruined."

Simon looked at Daphne for a moment. Delilah was starting to gain hope that this duel would not commence. Maybe Daphne and Simon could be happy now, addressing their feelings instead of denying them. But once again, Simon let her down.

"Daphne, I cannot."

"Did you not hear me?" Daphne cried. "She knows what we have done, someone who will surly talk. What possible reason could you have to condemn me to shame and reproach? Do you truly..do you truly hold me in such low regard? Is it because I regard you so highly that I cannot marry you. I know you do not love me, but I never thought you could despise me so."

"Daphne..." Delilah whispered.

"You must know if we were to wed..I could never give you children. It is your dream to be a mother, is it not? To have a household full of love and laughter, like the one you have known all your life? You deserve nothing less." Simon stated,

"You deserve what your heart desires. But I cannot provide it for you. Nor could I make such a sacrifice. Please, Daphne, for your own sake..you must stand aside..and let your brother finish this. You too Lily." Simon paused.

He shook his head, "We must resume before someone should find us."

But Daphne shook her head. She took one look at Simon and then turned to Delilah and Anthony. A determined look on her face.

"There will be no need to resume. The duke and I are to be married."

----------

Okay! That was a lot of writing. But, I felt that you guys should have something so I did one whole episode today.

I hope you all enjoy the chapter and i'm going to take a break from writing.

-Fluffycow54