Chapter 42

Delilah was escorted by Anthony and the rest of the Bridgerton daily to the queens luncheon as Daphne had indeed scored an invitation to as the new Duchess. Everything was fine for the first half of the evening.

Families were talking and it seemed that the drama surrounding the Bridgerton's extinguished as families were slowly conversing with the children and Violet. Delilah stayed next to Anthony though. She was not in the mood to socialize, not after Miss. Thompsons terrible mood.

She did notice the absence of the Featherington's however. Usually Eloise would be running around with Penelope. But, if Penelope wasn't there. Then her sisters and mama weren't either.

But she assumed drama could never be stopped as the Feathrington family walked in confidently. Well, more like walking in with shy smiles while they watched the crowd quiet down into mutters.

"Anthony.." Delilah looked up at him. But he was also staring at them, "I know, love. Be quiet."

"The audacity." Delilah could hear all the murmurs around them. "After they tried to entrap poor Mr. Bridgerton into marriage with a woman with child."

Delilah and Anthony made their way beside Violet. Daphne had also come up on her other side. Lady Featherington had spotted the group and made her way over with her chin held high. Delilah's posture straightened.

"My dear Lady Bridgerton, is it not a dreadful circumstance, for us both to have been so duped by that scheming hussy?" Lady Featherington began.

Delilah would have opened her mouth, but Anthony slipped his hand around her waist as a warning.

 "To think that Miss. Thompson would take advantage of my kindness after I opened my home to her. You must believe, I had no idea of -" The queen had cut her off.

"Lady Featherinton, I must ask you to leave." The queen demanded.

Lady Featherington turned around with a pleading expression. Delilah almost felt guilty. "But I have an invitation." Lady Featherington pleaded.

"Not anymore." The queen looked her in the eye, "I am sure you wish to avoid any unpleasantness."

Lady Featherington looked as if she were about to fight for a moment, but she ultimately decided against it and with her daughters exited the gardens. Delilah turned to see a sigh out of Daphne. She walked over and threaded her arm through Daphnes.

"Something troubles you." Delilah whispered. "I know you are a grown woman now, but I am still your best friend and you can come to me when you need advice. I may not know much about marriage. But I know it cannot all be fairytales."

Daphne sighed again and looked at her best friend. "In that, you are correct, 'Lilah. My marriage is far from perfect."

Delilah smiled. "Then perhaps a rant may suffice."

Daphne smiled too, but it quickly turned to a frown. "I would ask my mother but I do not want her to send me off again with more vague metaphors and trite remarks."

"Daphne, she is trying to help you." Delilah said.

"Do you know what might have truly helped matters? If my mothers motherly advice had actually prepared me to wed."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean she sent me out into the world no better than a fool. She taught me how to play pretend, but nothing of the realities of married life, or marital relations. If she had informed me about the things that were truly important, if I'd have known the truth, perhaps I-"

"Daphne." Delilah interrupted calmly.

"We were ridiculed by all today, treated as though we were worthless, and it is all her fault." Daphne said.

"How could it have been her fault? Violet wasn't even there." Delilah pointed out.

"If it were not for her habit, we'd have been able to throw ourselves at Miss. Thompson the moment we learned of her condition." Daphne's voice became shaky, "None of this would have happened."

-----

Delilah had retreated to the Silvester estate alone that evening much to Anthony's dismay. But she needed to do something. Miss. Thompson was just a woman who was doing what she thought was right for her child. And although Delilah disagreed with the way it was done, she had looked at it from Miss. Thompson's side.

"My lady, Miss. Silvester, she is here." The footman entered first, and then Delilah was welcomed into the Featherington drawing room.

"I am so glad you thought to visit us, Miss. Silvester. I fear that the Bridgerton's mother was rather heated at the luncheon. But of course, if you have come to offer an explanation..."

"I require a word with Miss. Thompson. Alone." Delilah said directly. No matter how polite she could be, Lady Featherington always managed to annoy her further than her boundaries could handle.

"Well.." Lady Featherington gasped, but she and the other woman of the house exited the drawing room. And Delilah stood in front of Miss. Thompson.

Miss. Thompson began to mumble an apology, "For what it is worth, I am sorry. Your brother is a sweet boy. You do not need to-", but Delilah cut her off with the raise of her hand.

"I came here to apologize to you." She said calmly.

"To me?"

"I misjudged you, and I wanted to tell you what you felt you had to do.. I do not understand, but I forgive. I wish it hadn't happened this way. You are certainly not the only one." Delilah said.

She watched as Miss. Thompson took a breath, "George was a soldier, but he was also gentle and kind. He was perfect. I fancied myself in love. The next thing I knew, my courses stopped, and I found myself with child, and...and alone." She shuddered a breath.

Delilah sat for a moment before looking up at her, "What is Sir George's surname? Or do you know where he is stationed, his regiment?" Delilah asked.

"Whatever for, Miss. Silvester?"

"I hear General Langham and his wife are in London. Perhaps I could speak to him or her and have Sir George found." Delilah proposed. But Miss. Thompson's frown said otherwise.

"What use would that be?" Miss. Thompson asked. "George does not want to be with me."

"But do you really want to be alone? No rank, no protection, no support for you or your child. Surely anything is better than that. Why should he be the one to choose your future when he clearly cares not for the outcome?" Delilah smiled softly and took a seat next to Miss. Thompson.

"He is at fault here. Perhaps I can make him come back, and take responsibility for you and your child. Why should you be left all alone to bear the punishment for his crime?" Delilah asked her.

Miss. Thompson looked up at her with watery eyes, "You truly think you can do this?"

Delilah smiled. "I assure you, Miss. Thompson. I am quite capable of doing more than you think. I have defeated the best, and I'm confident I shall continue to do so."

"Mm." Miss. Thompson nodded.

Delilah smiled one last time and began to move to the door, but a hand grabbed her wrist. When she turned around, Miss. Thompson enveloped her in a hug.

"Please, Miss. Silvester, call me Marina." She said softly.

Delilah smiled to herself and hugged her back drawing a hand over her head, "Then I insist you call me Delilah."