Shock and Delight - Chapter 13

"P-pardon?" Delilah spluttered out. Her eyes were wide, her head was running millions of thoughts one after another.  "You and me? As if together?" Anthony nodded his head. He gently reached over and grabbed his hand in hers.

So may emotions were running out of her. But she would be dammed if she gave up an opportunity she had only dreamed of for so many years.

"I would officially court you, and help you get out of the marriage." His mind was racing fast, he didn't know if she would accept, but it was a step closer to maybe him winning her favor. But it was all set in stone when they're eyes collided and Delilah whispered, "Yes."

There will forever be just two words that come to this author's mind the morning after any good party, "shock" and "delight".

Well, dear reader, the scandalous accounts from last night's soiree at Vauxhall are quite shocking and delightful indeed. Emerging, phoenix-like from the ashes of irrelevance, is one Miss Daphne Bridgerton. The illustrious debutante was seen not dancing once, but twice with the season's  most eligible and most unchartable rake, the Duke of Hastings.

And another rumor as well has come to my daunting attention. A very interesting gilded feather has taken the stand with a most unseen choice. Delilah Silvester and Anthony Bridgerton have come to be seen in an arrangement perhaps? Could her spectacle of beauty have brought him in? Whatever it may have been, they look most undoubtedly in my words, in love.

Delilah and Anthony stroll through a park, Delilah having a chaperone behind them.

"It is most beautiful outside. Mother and Father used to take me out here and we'd play tag like wild animals, but they wouldn't care." She laughed quietly at the memory. Anthony smiled down at her, taking her arm through his. He was relishing this moment too much. Now that it was an official courtship, he was taking full advantage of it. Even though he was having a little too much fun with it.

"I remember you playing tea with Daphne in the park." It was now Anthony's turn to chuckle. He looked down at Delilah's bright pink face at the memory. "Oh hush, we were young." She joked. The two connected eyes and laughed. "Yes, certainly young enough to where you would walk through mud in your dresses, I'm sure." Anthony replied.

Delilah mocked a gasp and shoved Anthony playfully. "I don't know what you mean." She laughed as she talked. Anthony laughed as well bringing her closer. "No, of course not love."

Later she joined the Bridgertons in their drawing room. She had come from her house, as she had dined with her mother. However, the conversation she walked in on was not one she was happy with.

"Do not be disrespectful, sister." Anthony's voice rang through. "Disrespectful?" Then came Daphne. Delilah now had walked into the drawing room and looked at the situation in front of her. Anthony, Daphne, and Violet. The room was tense.

"I cannot imagine a greater show of disrespect than promising me to Nigel Berbrooke." Daphne shot out. Delilah was now caught up. She turned to Anthony with an astonished look on her face. She thought he would have fixed this, but apparently not. Even after the garden, she just assumed he had corrected it all.

"Anthony..you didn't really do that did you?" Her voice rang through the room. Anthony glanced over to her for a moment, a solemn expression on his face. That was quickly hardened. "He's a fine choice. I looked into him." He defended.

"You promised your sister to that man?" Violet spoke up. "Not well enough, apparently." He dismissed. "What?" Delilah asked. "It does not matter." He quickly ended the conversation.

He turned to walk to the door, "I have many choices indeed. I do not need-" But he was cut off with Daphne continuing to argue, "You have suitors. You do not have what matters: proposals." Anthony quickly turned around to her though, "Except, of course, from Lord Berbrooke." He reasoned. "What happened to his eye? It's quite grotesque." He spoke.

However Violet then spoke up overpowering his statement, "Daphne has charmed a duke, Anthony. You must know that changes everything."

Anthony then sighed in exasperation bringing a hand to his temple, "Please do not tell me this rebellion is to do with Hastings." Delilah stepped over to Daphne, "They are courting." She said, Anthony looked over at her, "Yes and so are we, love."

Daphne looked over at her with wide eyes but Violet stole the attention back, "They've danced a couple times at a ball." She argued. Anthony looked to his mother, "Colin has done the same with Penelope. I have done the same if not more with Delilah." He again dismissed. "It does not signify-" But he was cut off.

"They promenaded this morning, and he sent flowers to both of us. Expensive ones." She finished. Anthony sighed again. "The duke is not a serious suitor. He will never marry." He replied. He looked back over to Daphne.

""I have known him since we were boys. It is not bravado, or denial, or even immaturity." He said looking straight at Daphne. Delilah couldn't argue with that. She had grown up as well with Simon. And even then she had grown up closer to him then Anthony and Simon most truly refused to marry.

"It appears that way to me." Daphne argued. "I will not marry Nigel Berbrooke." She then said firmly.

"I have acted in your best interests, sister. One day, you will understand. One day, you will be most appreciative. The contract to Berbrooke will be drawn up, and you shall marry him." Anthony finished. He walked over to Delilah and planted a swift kiss to her cheek and walked out with no other words.

Delilah could only stare at the door. Angry for the fact that Daphne had still not escaped the clutches of this horrible and disgusting marriage. But, she was going to help fix it. And one look with Violet, the two had already had a plan.

----------

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your support. Some of the comments truly make my day when I see y'all love my story.

If you do love this story, you can go check out my other book as well! Other than that I hope you all have a lovely day/night and let me know how like the book so far!

Sincerely-

Fluffycow54