Chapter 57

There is nothing quite like the sweet-scented smell of success. But after last night's festivities, it is clear the season won't be quite so fragrant for everyone.

The new Viscountess Silvester has introduced her own guest for the season, and while the Lord Averey's host may have loudly declared his own lofty intentions to marry, I cannot be the only one who wonders if the rumored Capital-R-Rake is indeed ready to flourish.

Perhaps, Lord Averey, like the rest of us, is waiting for the queen to finally name her diamond. Or perhaps this author should take matters into her own hands. I shall not be hustled into making my selection.

Not by anyone.

"The ball, how was it?" Delilah asked, sipping on her tea.

She was accompanied by Williamson in the dining room. They were having breakfast, Delilah was reading the latest copy of Whistledown, and Williamson seemed to be pouring over a piece of parchment scratching off one line after another.

"Fine." Williamson grumbled.

Delilah looked up over the pamphlet, "Fine?"

She watched as Williamson threw down his quill and sighed leaning back in his chair. Delilah slowly put down her pamphlet smiling in amusement.

"There is a woman-"

"The one you saw on your journey through my grounds?"

"Delilah, don't interrupt me."

Delilah raised an eyebrow, "But, am I correct?"

Williamson sighed, "Yes. The woman from the grounds, no, don't look at me like that. She heard me talking with the other available lords, and it wasn't good."

Delilah chuckled, "She heard you talking, so what, did you not explain what she heard?"

Williamson looked down at the parchment, Delilah frowned, putting down her tea cup. Folding her hands softly over the table she sighed.

"You know, if you don't explain you are a nice gentleman she will never show interest." Delilah remarked.

"And how would you know?" Williamson spat.

Delilah laughed, "Have you met the man I'm in love with? He almost ruined the Duchess's season last year because of his ego."

Williamson scoffed, "Yet, you're supposed to be marrying me."

"Williamson, we are not marrying, I do not love you." Delilah glared across the table.

But the boy shook his head, "At this point in time if I don't find love by the end of the season I may impose the deal."

Delilah glared, "Well, I hope the diamond comes around soon because I will not marry a boy."

Delilah stood up from the table and left the room, Williamson stared after with a frown. He didn't mean to threaten her relationship with the deal. He just could not get his mind off of the woman whose name he still did not know, and it was slowly opening a whole in his heart he did not know he had.

Though, of the many purportedly well-trained and bred hothouse flowers on display this year, this author must wonder if a more surprising choice might be in store.

 "He what?" Anthony yelled from the study.

Delilah frowned, "Anthony please refrain from yelling."

Anthony shook his head and began to pace in front of Delilah who was leaning against the front of her fathers desk, "No, no I will not calm down. He threatens that stupid deal because he cannot find it in him to be polite to a lady."

"Anthony, love-"

"Then, he will sweep you away from me, and you will love him instead."

"Anthony!" Delilah cried stepping in front of him, "Anthony you need to understand that I do not love this man. I choose you, don't you see that, darling?"

Anthony stared at her for a moment before descending down on her with a powerful kiss. "I love you." He whispered, "I love you, I love you, I love you."

Delilah smiled into his lips and ran her hands softly over his shoulders, "I love you too."

Whichever darling miss receives such high esteem, let us hope there is a suitor available of only the sharpest wit, lest his dry musings leave a young lady wilting like a parched rose.

Delilah was giggling with Daphne in her bedroom with her son on her lap. She had fallen in love with the boy that Daphne had given birth to. A son she would love forever even when she herself had children.

"He is a beam." Delilah smiled, bumping the baby in her lap softly.

Daphne smiled, "Simon had his doubts of course, but he is a wonderful father."

"Of course he's a wonderful father, he was a wonderful brother when we were growing up." Delilah laughed as the baby cooed in her arms.

"Oh he did wonder how the ball was, and your new guest?" Daphne asked.

Delilah frowned, "The ball was wonderful, although I doubt Williamson can feel his toes."

The two girls shared a look before bursting out into giggles as Daphne took her baby into her arms to help clean up his spit.