Chapter 55

The first ball of any season was remarkable. It would be hosted under Lady Danbury and Delilah could not wait. She rushed into her mothers closet the afternoon of and went through the many dresses before settling on a nice royal blue with silver embellishments over the dress.

Getting ready she spun her hair up nicely and coated her skin in her mothers accessories. She could still feel her mothers warmth around her as she walked. She knew her mother was with her.

Lost in her thought she sat staring blankly at the mirror until a knock rang softly.

Delilah snapped out of her trace and went over to the door in confusion, nobody else was staying in the house. But, opening the door, she realized that was no longer true.

"Miss. Silvester." Lord Averey greeted.

"My lord. How can I help you?" Delilah responded.

 Averey sighed before rubbing his palms nervously, "I was wondering if perhaps we may keep the arrangement secret. I hope I made myself perfectly clear when I said I do not wish to marry you-"

Delilah held her palm up. "I consider the arrangement canceled. If we do not wish to marry each other, and as I am courting another, I do feel it is safe to say the arrangement is off."

Averey let out a sigh of relief, "Wonderful, now I must say we did get off on the wrong foot."

Delilah smiled, "We did, it is nice to meet you Lord Averey, I hope we do become family as I shall be hosting your season here."

Williamson smiled down at her, "I would very much enjoy that."

"Do be aware though that Anthony should be coming to escort us. And as of right now I do believe he is not happy with you." Delilah stated, she closed the door behind her and began to make her way down the foyer with Williamson following her.

"Yes, I assumed so."

-----

 Delilah walked in with Anthony, but Lord Averey followed close behind the couple. On the way to the ball Averey had explained straight to Anthony the situation, and even though Delilah could not lie how Anthony had seemed hesitant to believe him he did nod his head in the end.

Williamson had accepted Anthony's nods, knowing he was most assuredly still shaken from finding out the deal had still been on at the time.

However, once tensions had been settled slightly Delilah, Lord Averey, and Anthony had walked in gracefully with the Bridgerton's. And Delilah noticed the amount of looks the new Lord had received.

"Stop fussing with your dress. You look lovely, dear." Violet complimented.

Delilah looked over at Eloise. She had not been excited to attend tonight. And it seems the dresses did not suit Eloise's fiery personality.

"I look like a prize calf, trussed up for auction." Eloise scoffed.

Benedict came up beside her ear and gave a mock 'moo'. Delilah giggled quietly into Anthony's shoulder.

"Eloise." Delilah said coming around her other side, "Even Daphne and myself felt most apprehensive at our first official ball, and look how well both of our seasons turned out." Delilah's eyes caught Anthony's.

"Oh, right." Eloise mumbled.

"Oh, I am sure there is someone here who will charm you. And, on another thought, there is the new Lord Averey who intends to find a wife." Delilah said louder than usual.

Anthony pulled Delilah in closer by the waist before showing her an amused smile, "You honestly just did that?"

"I believe I did." Delilah smiled. 

She watched as Williamson quickly got swept away by the crowd, "How interesting, he is a hot spot for ladies."

"Yes. Well, you are mine." Anthony whispered.

Delilah shook her head before walking the opposite direction with Anthony on her arm, "I do believe I am."

-----

After a while of socializing, Delilah's eyes searched the crowd before stopping on a woman who she had only seen twice.

"Is that Lady Mary Sheffield Sharma?" Delilah gasped. "Goodness, I can't believe she's back."

Anthony turned his head in interest, "A scandal, dear?"

"Lady Mary was the incomparable of our mama's season. Until she fell in love with and married some kind of clerk, I was told. The two of them absconded to India thereafter."

"And why was it such a scandal?" Anthony questioned looking down at Delilah's eyes.

Delilah looked up at him, "The man was no more than a common worker who already had a child. That must be her, the older one."

Anthony turned his head again, she did seem to be of his age.

"Lady Mary's parents, the Sheffield's, never lived down the shame, did they?" Anthony asked.

"Too ashamed to show their faces in London. If only every family were as respectable are yours." Delilah nodded.