Chapter 23

Sage's POV:
Me and Hallie decided it would be best to sit away from Clementine till she chilled out. She just gave us angry glances from down the table. Whatever, she'll get over it eventually. Hallie on the other hand, didn't feel quite the same way as I did. She kept asking me if she should go apologize, she hates conflict. I told her no, Clementine needs to get it together and not just expect people to alway apologize first.

We watched her scarf down some food and rush out of the hall, probably to go see one of her boyfriends. I wont deny it, I'm pissed at clementine, she took that joke way too seriously and then had the audacity to start throwing petty insults instead of addressing the issue like someone her age should have.
The boys must've noticed the tension "Are we missing something?" Fred questioned
"Yeah, why isn't clementine sitting with you two?" Karl continued
"Well, I might have said something hurtful on accident-" Hallie started
"No, you didnt. You made an obvious joke and Clementine is being over dramatic." I finished

The three boys just sat there, although they agreed with us they knew they couldn't really grasp the situation since they weren't there. We all finished breakfast and decided we wanted to hang out in the courtyard. We played some fun games and laughed till we couldn't breathe.

It was nice to get my mind off of Clementine for a while and into a better headspace. I'm sure she will calm down and things will be fine. Fred was cracking a joke when Hallie pulled on my sleeve and we all turned to see Clementine herself approaching us. Hopefully she's here to apologize.

"Why is she coming over here?" Hallie whispered
I turned to respond "Maybe she's here to apologize?"
Time felt like it was going in slow motion, and Clementines face did not read apologetic. Finn in the background just looked confused, little did he know he was actually apart of this fight. Stupid boys.

"Hi." Clementine snarled
How. On. Earth. How does she have the nerve to come over here with that attitude. I have a right mind to smack some sense into this child. I can feel my blood pressure rising. There is no way she is seriously coming over here with that tone, she better be joking. I'm going to go off if she doesn't fix that real fast.

"What?" I asked being the first one to step up
I am not about to let her come here and talk to us however she pleases. If she thinks I am, she has got another thing coming. Hallie was behind me, Karl resting his hand on her shoulder for comfort.
"I see your going to be snippy about yesterday then?" Clementine commented
"You're the one standing here with an attitude." I retorted
Clementine had now balled her hand into a fist. I know she isn't about to hit me. She doesn't have the guts. She should just walk away now or we're going to be having some problems worse than a petty fight.

"It was an obvious joke Clementine. If you can't get that then that sounds like a personal issue to me. You have blown this way out of proportion, you are acting like a small child." Hallie stated now standing next to me

I was pissed. I was ready to go off and tell her how idiotically she was acting. I was pretty much done with her at this point. I'm not about to let her come over here and be mean, especially to Hallie.

"Why don't you go back to hiding behind your little boyfriend." Clementine spat
This was so bloody stupid. A fight like this over nothing, all because she doesn't know how to take one joke.
"Oh so now she can get guys?" I sneered

I can literally feel myself hitting my breaking point. If she didn't stop soon I would be going off. I don't care about how much detention I get. We are about to have some serious issues. Appropriate language? Out the window. No physical contact? Out the window. Trying to talk things through? Out the bloody window.

"Just give it up already Clementine! It was a joke! At least we can pick one guy instead of playing with their feelings!" I hissed
At this point, people had found our argument more interesting than their own affairs, and Clementine was getting more red in the face with every passing moment.

"It's not my fault more people like me." Laughed
She was getting cocky. At this point she's just being manipulative.
"Did your manipulation problems start before or after you ran away from home for no reason?" I questioned
I was genuinely curious as to how someone could act like this.

Clementine look like she had snapped. You could almost see the smoke coming out of her ears.
"At least I have a home!" She roared
"Oh, and what is that supposed to mean?" I exclaimed
"Don't even! I know you aren't talking about homes. Your parents are in Azkaban!" Clementine yelled

"At least I have parents who love me and are decent people!" Clementine continued
I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Something that was so personal, that I choose to share with her and she's throwing it out there for everyone to hear.
"Your parents are death eaters! Who's to say you won't turn out the same way!"
Frozen, I felt, no I was completely frozen. I could hear the whispers, I could feel the glares. I heard Hallie let out a gasp. I was going to have a panic attack. Everyone knows. My biggest secret and everyone knows.
"What?" I heard Fred question from behind me

"That's right! Her parents killed innocent people for you-know-who! She's probably just pretending to be nice. Her parents are evil!" Clementine yelled pointing at me

I'm going to throw up. At this point all I can hear is ringing. Everyone will hate me. I'll be shunned from civilization. Oh Merlin, why do I have to have severe anxiety. I'm going to die, I can't breathe, I can't hear anything. Clementine's words still echoing off the walls and I can't hear it. Salt on my wound.

It felt like someone had thrown salt in my wound and then hit me with the crucio curse. I cant breathe. I'm going to pass out. Maybe I'll die. That wouldn't be so bad. Everyone was staring now. I couldnt blame them.

I could feel Fred, oh Fred. I could feel his shock, his hatred, burning into me though his stare. I could feel Clementine's words too, searing my skin like a cattle brand. My vision had turned blurry. I really am going to pass out.

"And you know what else-"
"Clementine stop." Finn ordered
Thank you. I can't handle this anymore. Finn understood, I know it. He understands panic attacks and bad anxiety.

I could feel Hallie's arms around my shoulders. Finn dragged Clementine out of the courtyard, it was too late though. The damage was done. People whispering. I vaguely heard Hallie yell at some random student. He had probably told me to go die. Maybe I will.

Seconds, minutes, hours. I felt it all pass by, one tick at a time. I felt Hallie pushing me in the direction of an exit, she understood. At least if I get outcast she'll be with me. When I didn't move any, she moved in front of me. Settling her hands on my shoulders. I looked at her, tears welling up in my eyes, causing her to tear up with me.
"Let's go." She wrapped her arms around me and started making her way back to inside
"Sage-" Fred chased up behind us
I'm going to throw up. I can't do this. I can't breathe. I whipped around to face him, I looked up at him with tears streaming down my face.

"Sage I-"
"Go away- please." I whispered
My voice was cracking and I could barely get anything out above a squeak. As Hallie pushed us through the crowd I could hear the laughs, the whispers, the comments. I could hear them judging me, even judging Hallie for being friends with 'someone like me' I was going to be sick.

1396 Words