Chapter 55

Sage's POV:
I was sitting in the library, not unusual for me, flipping through magazines thinking about what dress I was going to wear.
"So do you have a date yet?" Georgi asked "Or at least someone you want to ask?"
I looked up from my magazine pondering his question, I knew the answer of course I was just considering if I wanted to answer honestly or not.
"Yeah I have someone, I'm just waiting for him to ask me." I responded
He nodded in understanding. I let out a deep sigh and got up to go put the magazine away.

I had been waiting for Fred to ask me but he still hadn't. All my other friends had pretty much been asked, even Hermione had been asked by Viktor Krum.
"Hello darling." I heard from behind me
A hand landed harshly on my hip while his other hand held him up against the bookshelf level with my eyes. I froze, knowing exactly who it was but being too scared to turn around and confirm it.
"Not going to look at me?" He fake pouted
I turned around to be met with a pair of brown eyes towering above me.
"Hello Darius." I monotoned
"Don't be so cold baby." He cooed
"Don't call me that." I shoved passed him
Trying to go back to Georgi, Darius harshly grabbed my arm and pulled me back.

"Now listen sweetheart, I'm just here to say that, we would make a very nice couple at the ball. Believe me, I have plenty of other girls who are dying to go with me but I decided to pick you."
"Oh so should I be grateful?" I spat
"Well I mean yeah, none else wants to ask you, not even your little redhead boyfriend. But I see the potential in you, put on a little makeup and fix your hair you could be really hot." He stroked a piece of hair out of my face
If looks could kill, he would be dead by now.
I started trying to pull my arm out of his grip but he wouldn't budge.
"Let. Me. Go. Now." I said in a warning tone
"Oh come on, don't let your pride get in the way of the only decent offer you're gonna get."
I scoffed "Don't flatter yourself."
I couldn't believe that after everything that happened with Clementine that I would even consider him.

"What's going on?" Finn growled swooping down the isle
"Oh just a friendly chat." Darius smirked
"Doesn't look too friendly to me." Finn rested hand on my shoulder
"I was just giving her the best offer, to be my date to the ball."
"Yeah well unfortunately for you she's already going with me." Finn wrapped his arm around my shoulders

I kept my gaze pinned to the floor, I was embarrassed that Finn was always having to come save me from these situations. Darius still had a tight grip on my arm and Finn had a tight grip on my shoulders. I wanted to decompose into a pile of sand and blow away.

Finn stared down Darius until he released me and walked away. I let out a sigh of relief and rubbed my arm.
"Are you ok?" Finn gently grabbed my arm inspecting the red mark "Yeah, that'll turn into a bruise."
He looked at me sympathetically and wrapped me in a hug.
"Sorry about saying you were going to the ball with me." He laughed
"It's fine, it's not like I already had a date."
"Wait- Fred hadn't asked you?" He raised his eyebrows
I shook my head.
"Well, how about you go with me?" He offered
"Well um- I would but he hasn't- asked anyone- anyone yet and I was kind of hoping, he would ask me." I mumbled
Finn nodded in understanding "Maybe he's just waiting for the right moment. I will probably go by myself or with friends so if you need anyone my offer is open."

"Thank you." I smiled
Finn walked me to my dorm room in time for me to grab my bag for the exam in the great hall.

Everyone was gathered at their tables with the paperwork in front of them, sadly a seat text to the twins wasn't available so I said my goodbyes to Finn and plopped down next to Hallie at the Hufflepuff table. We stared writing until Hallie nudged me at some commotion at the Gryffindor table.

"Who are you going with then?" Ron whispered
Fred crumpled up a piece of paper and tossed it down the table, hitting Angelina's shoulder. She turned to look at him and he gestured to her, creating a silent statement.

Will you go to the ball, with me?

My heart sank to the pit of my stomach, all my hopes and my fantasies snuffed out. Of course he wasn't going to ask me. Why would I even think for a moment that I had a chance? He's just so out of my league and she's so in his league. She does sports, perfect body, perfect looks, perfect girl.

Hallie placed a sympathetic hand on my back as my eyes brimmed with tears. I knew it was stupid to be crying but I couldn't help it. Knowing that the guy you've been head over heels for, for so long has zero interest in you. I quickly finished the rest of my work and rushed out of the hall before any of my tears could fall. I can't believe I actually thought this would be the beginning of something new for me.

Fred's POV:
"Why mate? You told me you wanted to ask Sage!" George lectured
I was pacing circles into the floor.
"You said she was the only person you actually wanted to go with, you said that this was it!
"I know! I know George." I huffed "It's just- I- she's too good for me, if I asked her now it would be a constant battle for me to prove myself! I just want her to know I can be good enough. I thought- maybe seeing me with someone else she might get... I don't know- jealous or something."

"Jealous? Jealous?" George mocked
I knew I was in for it.
"Let me get this right... you wanted to ask Sage who you've been in love with for Merlin knows how long, but you got insecure. Now you're going with Angelina, to make Sage jealous?"
"Y-yes." I mumbled
"Are you STUPID?"
"Well it's not like she's going to be upset about it or anything! I heard she already had a date!"
George opened his mouth like he had the best comeback but decided against it. George and I left our dorm without him speaking another word to me.

Finn's POV:
I quickly went after Sage, I wanted to make sure she was ok. I knew what she was feeling and she didn't deserve to feel that way, she was like a sister to me.
"Sage!" I called
She stopped but wouldn't turn to look at me, or bring her gaze up off the floor. I cupped her face in my hands and lifted her face. She had giant princess tears streaming down her face, my heart broke for her.
"I-I guess I c-coul-d go-o with yo-u." She choked out trying to laugh it off
"Oh Sage." I wrapped her in a hug as she cried into my uniform

1237 Words