Chapter 120

Sage's POV:
The next few days were chaos. Apollo practically lost his mind after Fred told him what happened, against my wishes. Everyone had a panic. No one more than Fred though. He stopped sleeping, every time I would wake up in the middle of the night he would be sitting there, awake. He ate less, he was more cautious about where I went and who I saw.

I couldn't blame him. That night, Fred had a major breakdown when everyone had gone. I had never seen him have a panic attack before, it was heartbreaking to hold him in my arms as he cried and hyperventilated. I thought that was my thing.

"Fred?" I groaned sitting up in bed
There he was again, sitting at the edge of the bed staring out the window. The moonlight illuminating his exhausted features.
"Fred?" I repeated
"Hm?" He jumped "I'm sorry darling, did I wake you?" He croaked
The lack of sleep was taking a toll on his voice and as much as I loved his raspy sleepy voice, this was taking a toll on him.

"Fred, please come to bed." I pleaded
"I'm not tired." He replied
"Fred, you have dark circles under your eye, you haven't slept in days. You're scaring me."
"I cant sleep." He mumbled
"What?"
"I cant sleep." He spoke louder this time
"Why not?" I asked moving to sit right behind him

He didn't reply for a moment, a long moment. I began to wonder if he was even going to reply before he took in a deep breath.
"Because every time I close my eyes, all I can see is what would have happened if I hadn't come back to the burrow in time." He shuddered
"Oh Fred..." I whispered wrapping my arms around him from behind
I think he was having a harder time with my near death experience than I was.

I grabbed his arm forcing him to come to bed with me. He couldn't go another day like this and I wouldn't let him. He just followed my movements and went where I directed him to go. He seemed almost fragile as I let him wrap his arms around me and tangle his legs with mine. He settled his chin on my head tightening his grip as if someone were trying to take me away. I suppose someone was.

I could feel the rise and fall in his chest as one of his hands moved to my upper back pulling me closer to him still.
"I'm sorry." He whispered "I'm sorry I wasn't there sooner."
"What are you talking about?" I mumbled "You quite literally saved my life, you're my night in shining armor and you don't even need the armor." I laughed lightly
"I'd do anything for you."

-

"Sage! Sage!" Hallie screeched shaking me awake
Fred had finally gone to sleep and had started to stir from Hallie barging in.
"Shh! Fred's finally asleep." I urged "Don't wake him please."
"Sorry." She whispered "Get up, we got a letter from Clementine."
"What?" I asked wriggling out of Fred's grip and putting a pillow in my place

We both walked out of Fred's room, I put on a pot of coffee as Hallie sat down at the breakfast table.
"I can't believe she was that, that stupid! That's so dangerous, how could she put herself in danger like that!"
"I don't think she would have- Hallie! Are you crying?" I turned away from the counter only too see tears streaming down Hallie's face
I forget sometimes that this has been hard on her too.

"Oh Hallie..." I soothed rubbing her back gently "I'm sure she'll be ok, all of them will."
She nodded opening the letter with shaky hands.
"Dear Sage,
how have you been? i hope you're okay after the things that happened at the wedding. i'm sad i didn't get to say goodbye, but our safety
matters more. maybe we can plan something someday? i've been so busy and lots of things have happened where i haven't been able to sit down and write you and Hallie a letter. how's the shop going? i assume well. how are Fred and George? tell me everything.
-Love your dear friend Clementine."

"Maybe when we write her back we can leave out the part where I almost died." I commented
"Absolutely not, she'll want to hear about it."
"Morning ladies." George spoke walking into the kitchen
"Morning Georgie." I smiled
He walked over to the counter pouring himself a cup of coffee "Fred finally getting some sleep huh?"
I sighed in relief "Yes, finally. He was really scaring me."
"Yeah, me too. What's the letter?" He asked gesturing to the paper in Hallie's hands

"Clementine wrote!" Hallie smiled offering him the letter
George nodded along as he read "Maybe let her know about your almost death." George commented
I rolled my eyes.
"That's what I said!" Hallie remarked "Well, I better get going, I just came by to show you the letter." Hallie spoke setting her mug in the sink
"I wonder why she sent it to you."
"Probably because she still thinks no one knows you're living here." George reasoned
"Oh yeah."

I hugged Hallie goodbye and she apparated away. A few minutes later I was sitting with George at the breakfast table.
"George... am I becoming a problem?" I asked resting my head in my arms
"What?"
"The whole reason I didn't want to come here in the first place is because of the risk you would be taking, now not only has your place been ransacked but now Fred is draining himself because he's scared to leave me alone.

"Ok and? He's worried, and the place could've been ransacked weather or not you stayed here. If we're about to go on this roller coaster of if you should leave or not, let me get you off now, you aren't leaving."
"But-"
"And that's final."
"George-" I sighed
"As in, non-negotiable."
"Alright." I relented
"We take care of each other here. We need you just as much as you need us." George ranted

George and I sat in silence until a door gently shutting alerted us that Fred was awake. I would have preferred he slept longer. He walked into the main part of the flat still looking very rugged but at least he had bed hair which meant he actually slept.
"Hey Freddie." I smiled
He looked at me tiredly before walking to the counter and started getting himself a cup of coffee.
"Maybe you shouldn't mate." George spoke causing Fred to pause "The caffeine isn't good for you. We don't want you getting sick."
"No, we don't. You want something else to drink?" I asked walking over to the fridge

I don't think I've seen Fred tired to the point he was quiet, but he was definitely there. He simply walked up behind me as I looked through the fridge settling his chin on my shoulder. He eventually just went and sat down while I got him some juice. We all sat down, it was still silent as George and I looked at Fred with concern.

Someone knocked at the door, this time all of us looked at each other with concern. It came from the shop door but the shop was closed. Fred stood up walking over to the door and opening it. I think we all expected Lee to be standing there again, if only it had been Lee.

"Oh Fred! I heard about your flat and I had to come see you! I know it's been years since I've seen you but the thought that something had happened to you I just had to get over my anxiety and ADHD and come see you." Claudia cried
It's been less than a year.
She jumped up slightly, aggressively wrapping her arms around my boyfriend's neck.

Fred pulled him off of her, causing her to look at him confused before noticing me in the kitchen with George.
"Sage-" she laughed nervously "What are you doing here?"
"Nice to see you again too."
"She lives here." George answered for me
"Oh you and George are dating?" She asked hopefully

I opened my mouth to retort but Fred beat me to it.
"She's mine, you know that. Don't act stupid. What are you even doing here?" His cheeks reddening in anger
I don't think he enjoyed the image of me dating his twin brother playing in his brain.
Claudia turned to him, pressing her body against his.
"To confess my feelings for you..."
"Bitch the-" I started

"I've always been in love with you Fred! Can't you see, I was so desperate I gave you a love potion, I can't live without you. Sage can be a side piece, I don't care!" She blurted out
"I am not anybody's side-"
"She doesn't care about you like I do, oh please Fred! I think I'll go insane if you reject me!" Claudia gripped into his shirt so tightly her knuckles turned white

She was actually crazy. Fred took in a deep breath before taking her fisted hands in his.
"That's unfortunate then," he sighed "Because Sage is no one's side piece, certainly not my side piece."
"So you'll drop her?" Claudia asked barley above a whisper
"I'll drop you down these stairs if you don't get the hell out." Fred smiled innocently at her

"But-"
"Bye-bye now," Fred spoke pushing her out the flat
"Fred please!" She cried through the door
"Christ..." Fred groaned twenty minutes later when Claudia was still sobbing and banging on the door
"Maybe we should take her to a mental institute." I suggested
"Maybe we should sell her to the circus."
"Maybe if we shag right here, she'll leave." I joked

Fred looked at me with a 'you may be joking but I'm not' look.
"No." I laughed standing up from the table
"But what if it works?" He whined trying to grab my arm
"No," I laughed harder
"No, wait-" Fred smiled chasing after me down he hall
"Fred!"

1700 Words
12/26/22