Chapter One

"Princess?" I heard one of my maids say. I placed my hairbrush on my vintage vanity mirror. I got out of my chair and turned to her. It was Marcella.

"Yes Marcella," I said.

"King Ethan wants you to meet him in his chamber," she informed me.

"Thank you," I said. I exited my room and went down the long corrider to the grand staircase. I walked down the staircase and went to my father's chamber.

I saw two guards, Kevin and Nicolas, outside his chamber. Nicolas bowed to me and I curtsied. He opens the door for me. I walked in and saw my father at his desk.

"Princess Kacey is here," Nicolas said, announcing my arrival. He closed the door behind him.

I saw my mother seating in a chair opposite from his desk and I sat in the other. A servant came and asked me if I needed anything.

"A glass of water yes," I said. She bowed and fetched me my drink.

"Kacey," my father said.

"Father," I said.

"You know your crowning of the nation is being held in three weeks," he said.

"Yes father. I'm aware of that," I said.

"And you know your coronation rehearsal is next week," he said. I nodded in agreement and waited for him to continue. "Your mother and I talked about your ruling of this country cannot be ruled just by one monarch. You need a king by your side," he said. I couldn't believe my ears. I looked at mother and then back at father.

"This is absurd. Father, I don't need another monarch by my side for the sake of Ćenàla. All Ćenàla needs is a strong, stable leader. Not a king," I argued.

The servant came back with my water and I grabbed it. I took a sip and put it back on the tray she was holding. "Thank you," I said.

"Kacey, you need a man to help you rule Ćenàla. You can't rule it by yourself. Not only that but you need offsprings to keep the Martin family in the throne for many years to come," my father said.

"He's right sweetheart," my mother said. I shook my head in disagreement.

"I know that but daddy I can't marry someone in three weeks. Its humanly impossible to fall in love with somebody in three weeks," I said.

"You don't need love to rule a country," he said. I looked at my dad in shock. How could he say that?

"Ethan, what is that suppose to mean?" Mother said.

"Carmen, I didn't mean it-."

"Leave now Kacey. Along with everyone else in this room," my mom stated.

"Yes your majesty," I heard every servant say. I got out of my chair and went to my room.

*****

When I went into my room, I went out onto my balcony. I had to clear my head of what daddy just said.

I can't believe what he said to me. He didn't marry mother just because he wanted to be on the throne. He married mother because he loved her.

I always wanted a kind of marriage my mother and father have. They've been married for 21 years. So I don't see why my father would say something like that.

'Knock, Knock'

I turn my head and saw my mother. "I'm sorry about your father sweetheart. He didn't mean it," she said. She came and sat in front of me. She grabbed my hand.

"Mother why can't he understand that I don't want to marry right now. You can't fall in love in three weeks. That's absurd," I said.

"He only wants what's best for you and also for Ćenàla," she said.

"I know that but I can't marry somebody that I barely know. I want something that you and dad have. A long and happy marriage with my soulmate not a stranger," I said.

She nodded in agreement. "I completely understand and agree with you but for centuries, a Martin woman never ruled without a man by her side," she said.

It's true. All of the stories and photographs of my ancestors, not one of the Martin women ruled by themselves. They all were married.

"I know that mother but why does that have to be a tradition? Can't I change the family tradition?" I asked her.

"I'm afraid not Kacey," she said.

Sometimes I hate being a princess. You have to follow traditions, everyone expects you to be perfect, and they expect my life to be perfect.

"Besides he's having sheikh Michael over for dinner next Wednesday for dinner," she mumbled.

"Pardon me," I asked.

"Your father is having sheikh Michael over for dinner next Wednesday," she repeated.

I got out of my chair. "Mother," I practically screamed.

"Kacey retone and sit down."

I paced around the balcony. How could he do this to me? When did Father arranged this?

"Kacey," mother said.

"Mother cancel it. I will not go along with this," I told her.

"It's too late sweetheart. It was finalized yesterday," she said. I sat down and took a deep breath. I felt like I was hyperventilating.

"Kacey, are you alright?" Mother said. She came by my side and began rubbing my back.

"Marcella," my mother called. Marcella came in an instant.

"Bring me some water please," mother said. Marcella left the room to fetch me my water. Why did my father invited a sheikh over for dinner? Oh, yeah, that's right. He's trying to marry me off to some stranger.

Marcella came back with my water. "Drink this," my mother said. I grabbed the glass and put it to my lips. The water instantly moistened my throat. My father can be so stubborn and irrational sometimes.

"Are you alright?" Mother asked me.

"Yes. Thank you but mother I just need some sleep," I told her.

She nodded in understanding and left my balcony. I followed behind her and closed the doors behind me. Once she exited to my room, I sat on my bed and thought of ways of getting out of dinner on next Wednesday. I have to think quickly because today is Saturday.