Chapter Fifty Two

Mel didn't pick up until after I called her the third time.

"What the fuck do you want?" She barked into the phone. I rolled my eyes. This bitch really does get on my everlasting nerves.

"Look, I don't have time for your shit. But I need to know the night that when you talked to Kacey for me, what was she upset about?"

She smacked her lips. "I can't tell you that. Strictly girl code." That's the stupidest shit I have ever heard. Girls and there stupid ass code. "Look I don't give a damn about the code. Kacey is in trouble and I need to know what made her upset that night."

"What's wrong with Kacey?" She asked, concerned etched in her throat.

"She's been shot and we don't know what state she's in now. But Mel I really do need to know what she told you and Cookie."

I could hear Mel sniffling a bit. "She told us how she liked you but I know that there's more to what she told us," Mel said.

Dammit! I was oh so close. I closed my eyes in frustration. "Okay thank you Mel."

"You're welcome and please update me on Kacey. Also let her know that I love and miss her."

"Okay I will."

She hunged up the phone and I placed my phone back into my pocket. "What did she say?"

"Kacey didn't tell her anything either."

Kareem shook his head. "This isn't like her," he mumbled to himself and walked off. I followed behind him but instead of going into the waiting room. I walked outside, needing to clear my head.

Once I was out, I leaned my back on the building. Thinking about ways I could've prevented her from being kidnapped and ending up being in the Intensive Care Unit. All these what if's and what I would have did and said differently, swarmed in my head. It made me had a slight headache.

Damn I need a blunt.

All those thoughts lead me to the conversation between Kacey and I. Mostly all the things she has said.

'What a life huh?'

'What a great father I have. Who gives me good advice, who cares for my well being and wants the best for his little girl. What great parents that I have.'

Her father?

What happened between her and her father?

I went back into the waiting room and over to Mrs. Martin. Bending down into her ear, I asked her to step outside.

"What's wrong?"

She smacked her lips at Mr. Martin. "Nosey. Sit down somewhere." He raised his hand in mock surrender and sat back down in his seat.

"Come on Justin," she said while I lead her out. More like her leading me out. Once we were outside, I waited for the doors to close so nobody heard us talk.

"What's wrong Justin?"

"Look Mrs. Martin I have to tell you something."

I began to tell her also about Kacey and how she was sort of depressed and about our conversation. When I got to the part about Kacey's confession, she began to smirk. "I knew it was you," she said.

Smiling a little bit, I shook my head. "Its okay son. I knew it was bound to happen. And I have the answers to why you found her like that."

"Her and her father had an argument because he was talking about Kacey and Michael's wedding and her coronation." I scrunched up my face. "Who is Michael?"

"A man who Kacey's father wants her to marry. But Kacey was so upset that she told him that she was in love. And we both knew it was you. Ethan got upset and she did also and she hung up the phone."

What's so wrong about her falling in love with me? I mean yea she could've done so much better than me but its unpredictable about who you fall in love with. We didn't mean for this to happen.

"Look Justin the way her father acts is for a reason and it is much deeper than that. I can't really go into details of why he doesn't accept you guys liking for each other."

"Well can you at least give me the reason?"

Mrs. Martin began twirling and fiddling with her fingers the way Kacey does. She looked everywhere and at anything except at me. "Justin it is because of your race."

My mouth slightly dropped. We are the same fucking race. And my race doesn't define who I am as a person. Get to know me. Judge me on my personality, not the fucking color of my skin. I thought racism was a thing of the past and people got over it.

I guess not.

"I know its absurd and beyong ridiculous but my husband and I went through some things that made him act the way he does. I don't know if he'll come around but I hope he does. If he doesn't, not only is he hurting you, but he's hurting Kacey. And that is the last thing he wants to happen."

I leaned back on the building and looked up at the sky. "What do you think about us Mrs. Martin?"

She came over to me and placed her hand on my shoulder. She then placed a kiss on my check. "I approve of you two and when I see you guys, I see of me and Ethan. Two young people in love."

I looked down at her and smiled. I see so much of Kacey in her. "Thank you Mrs. Martin." She grabbed my hand and gave it a little squeeze. "You're welcome sweetheart and I'll have to let you in on why Ethan's the way he is sooner or later. But let's get back inside shall we?"

She grabbed my hand and we walked back into the waiting room. Just as we were about to sit down, a doctor came in with a clipboard.

"Justin Bieber," he called me.

I jogged over to him. "Yes sir?"

"Kacey has requested to speak to you immediately."