Summer 2021 - Chapter 1

Metty Griffin trotted down George Street, stopping once to catch her breath and wipe the sweat from her forehead on a muggy August day. She'd parked farther away than usual, then scrounged change for the parking meter. She wanted to make her Journalism class on time as an important project would be assigned today. She waited at the corner for the light to turn green when .

"Metty! Metty! Wait up."

She looked back and waved as her friend, Angie, caught up to her. They crossed the street together and stopped before Metty's destination. "Wow. One more class and I'm through. Yay me!" Angie pumped her fist in the air as the young women laughed.

"I've got two semesters, including student teaching, and then I'm free to earn a living," said Metty.

"For a change," said Angie.

Metty smiled ruefully, for Angie knew Metty's mother spent any extra money on her partner, Bryan, and their daughter.

"It's looking good. I got a small scholarship this year, so I won't have to take out any more student loans, barring a budget buster." Metty rolled her eyes. "Please, Lord, let Grandma's car keep running."

"Hey, can you meet me after lunch?" Angie asked.

Metty nodded. "I'll meet you at the cafeteria at two, before I go to work. OK?"

Angie nodded. "Chet's meeting me at the library. We're finally picking a date for the wedding today. Next May or June. You'll be one of my bridesmaids, right?"

"Sure. You and Chet are so good together."

"He calls me his BAE. Before Anyone Else." Angie's smile widened and she glowed as she thought of Chet. "What about you? Are you dating anyone since you and Albert broke up?" They stopped in front of Metty's building.

"No, when Albert moved to Atlanta, I said I had to stay here to finish school. He said he didn't want a long-distance relationship."

"Oh, well. His loss. Any chance you two will get back together?"

Metty shrugged, shaking her head. "You know what else he said?" Angie shook her head, interested, for Metty had never given details. Metty said, "Not, 'I'll miss you'; but, 'Now who will I get to pay the other half of the rent?'"

Angie smirked. "I hope he gets what he deserves."

Two young men rode past them on bicycles, stopping in front of the building. They got off and locked their bikes to a fence. Angie looked them over appreciatively. They were tall, handsome, athletic. One, handsome, had thick, dark hair and a fair complexion; the other, nearly as handsome, was an inch taller, with wavy, thick, very dark blonde hair and blue eyes. They looked like brothers.

"Hello," they said, nodding to Metty, "see you in class." She nodded back. They picked up their backpacks and pushed through the doors into the building.

"You know them?" Angie asked, nudging Metty.

"Down, girl," said Metty. "They're in my journalism class. You've got Chet and a wedding to think of. Besides, they ride bicycles to school. Chet's got a Beemer." She laughed.

"I'm keeping Chet, no worries." She eyed the bicycles. "Those are ex-pen-sive bikes. And that brunette is gorgeous. The stunning blond is merely beautiful next to him. Maybe you should see if one of them is available."

Metty laughed. "I don't think they're interested in a girl who drives her grandmother's ten-year-old Ford. Besides, guys that good-looking can get beautiful girls with a fashionable wardrobe and a new car, like Madison."

"Boy toys. Saaaay." Angie nudged Metty. "Maybe one of them is the prince."

"What prince?"

"Oh, girl, don't you listen to the news? That Spanish prince who got in trouble and his grandfather the Prince of Almurias sent him here for a year. Along with a cousin to keep him company. Rumor is the old man thought Charleston is punishment enough."

"Oh, no, no," Metty said, catching on. "Those two have English accents, not Spanish. The blond is Alex, I think, and your dark-haired beauty is Mark Leon or something."

"Oh, it was Crown Prince Marco of Almurias." Angie sighed. "I'd hoped to get a selfie of him. He'll be here for a year, so maybe I'll have an opportunity. Gotta run," she said. "See you at two." She ran off.

Metty shouldered her purse and worn backpack as she followed the two bicyclists into the building. She lifted her hair off her neck and sighed as the cool air in the building chilled her sweaty neck. BAE. Albert never called me his BAE. I wonder what it's like to be someone's BAE. She sighed. Or to have a BAE.