Chapter 60

Alexei and Metty strolled by the Battery to the Splash Fountain. They walked to the railing, and looked over the harbor. Starlight shimmered on the water, and a tugboat was pushing a ship out to sea. Ship lights floated over the water as they left the harbor.

Alexei put his arm around Metty's waist and she leaned against him. These are the good days. I'll enjoy them while we're together. She sighed happily.

"What are you thinking, cara?" He nuzzled her hair.

"I was thinking." She shook her head. "These are the good day. Right here, right now. When I'm old, these will be the good old days. My last year of college has been better than all the years before it." She considered. "High school, too. Next year, or ten years from now, my memories of you will be of joy."

He smiled. "Memories? Every day together is a new opportunity for us to make memories. Why stop?"

She looked at him. Her expression was pensive. "Your future is so different from mine. I can have a good life, but my life will be ordinary and  unremarkable. You will live in history."

He puzzled over that. "I suppose you're right. I will have a footnote in history, at least. Metty, Metty, té adoro. I want to build a relationship with you. With only you, for a lifetime. I believe now we may."

"But."

"But, you're right, my life has obligations and duties I will not refuse, whoever shares them with me. In addition to great personal advantages. I want nights like this with you, and the days that follow. We must consider my family. And yours."

"What does that mean?"

"Popi will not approve a marriage between us in a hurry, nor ask the Cortés to sanction it. I would not, could not marry without their approval. That may take a few years. You're unknown to my countrymen." He looked at her for a moment and kissed her hand. "We may drift apart; we may grow closer. What I want to ask you is this."

He took a deep breath. "Eva and Adam will let me use a small apartment over their garage this summer, until I go to London. Will you live there with me? Can you leave your mother in her situation?"

Metty looked at him, speechless for a moment. "Are you asking me to live with you?"

"Sí, cara, until I go to London."

She said, "I'll live with you this summer. Mother and I will move in with Grandma soon, so they'll be OK. When you go to London I'll move back to Grandma's. I should have a job lined up for fall."

He hugged her. He lowered his head and they kissed.

"You can't come to London with me this Fall. Popi is wary of relationships moving too fast. You can visit on breaks, and I'll come here for a week in October. If all goes well, my parents will invite you to Almurias after New Year's. For Tres Reyes." He looked into her eyes. "Planning so far ahead is necessary for my family."

She nodded, soaking in every change in his expression, to remember for the days apart from him.

"What do you think?"

She leaned her head against his chest. She felt his heartbeat quicken. Hers quickened to match. She smiled. "I'd love to come. To get to know your family, your home, your land. Your people." She looked at him again, and they kissed.

"The dates are tentatively enero 2 to enero 9. I mean January. I hope those dates will match your schedule. You can return to Charleston sooner if you need to, but you'll miss Three Kings' Day."

"I'll check the school dates. I've got to get a passport."

He stood back, taking her hand. "Let's sit." They moved to a bench and sat down. She twitched.

"A little cold, but we won't be long. Ava and Adam have offered me the use of their beach cottage during exams." He looked at her and she smiled at him. "Until I start pedaling tourists around the City. Will you join me there?"

She laughed, brushing her hair out of her face. "Of course I will. I love the beach."

"And I love you, Marletta. I love you," he shouted.

She placed a finger on his lips. He kissed it. "Maybe you shouldn't yell. The wrong people might hear and make us notorious."

"I shouldn't say, "Té adoro?"

"Whisper it, mi amor. For now, let love be just between us."

He whispered, "Té adoro, Metty, mi amor. Té adoro."