Chapter 5

Dinner at the Reynolds's house that Friday started at 6:00 and was over by 8:30. The guests were Marina Valente, the Almurian Consul in Tampa, Jon Brooks, a US Naval undersecetary, and their spouses. They discussed the pending visit of Prince Sebastian III of Almurias to Charleston next Spring, from April 1 to April 4. Plans were finalized for a dinner at Dalmurias with the Prince and whoever was the newly elected President of the US. Before this dinner, the Prince would visit Washington and he and the President would sign the new treaty for the US Naval Base at Dalmurias.

Ava escorted the guests out and returned to the living room. "You two would make great diplomats if you were not in the Princely Family. Alexei, I wonder if Tìo Sebastian would reconsider letting you join the diplomatic corps."

"That's a few years in the future, Ava. I hope so."

Dolores looked hopefully at her parents. "It's not yet nine o'clock. Can we go out for a couple of hours? The three of us? To the ETA party?"

"It's late, Dolores," said Adam.

"We have an appointment tomorrow at nine with Fr. Menuzo. Marco and I must discuss the President's visit to the plantation," said Alexei."

"We won't be late. Home by midnight. Like Cinderella."

Marco laughed. "Jessica invited us," he said. "Alexei said we couldn't go because of this dinner."

"I'm rushing the sorority," said Dolores. "They can come with me."

The Reynolds looked at each other, then at their daughter. "Make sure you're home by twelve," said Ava, sternly.

*

A short while later, the three young cousins, followed by Marco's bodyguard, José Del Río, knocked on the door of the ETA sorority house. A pretty blond girl opened the door. Marco smiled at her. She blushed and smiled back.

"Hello, Dolores," the girl said, "Glad you could make it. Come on in." She led them to rooms packed with ETA sisters, rushes, and young men. "Refreshments are on the tables. Help yourself." She left and two other girls walked up.

"Hi, Dolores," said the shorter one, a slim, black-haired woman. Alexei knew her from his Political Science class.

"Hi, Audrey," said Dolores. "This is my cousin, Marco de Almurias." Audrey and the other girl looked at him with interest. "The taller one is another cousin, Alexei de Moreno. Audrey's the ETA president." The girls glanced at Alexei then back at Marco.

Dolores took Audrey aside and spoke quietly. Audrey nodded.

She turned to José. "Would you like a chair, Mr. Del Río? Some refreshments?" She seated him in a comfortable chair where he could see Marco anywhere in the room.

Marco showed ID to the boy tending bar and was served a daquiri. Alexei got sparkling water with lime. Dolores introduced them to a girl who came up. The rush was on. Nearly every girl in the room made sure to meet Marco, except for two girls holding hands. A few introduced themselves to Alexei, then drifted back to Marco. Soon Marco was surrounded by a throng of smiling, pretty girls. He was in his element.

Jessica eased herself out of the crowd and joined Alexei, who was talking to a young man abandoned for Marco.

"Hello, Alexei. Glad you could make it."

"Hello, Jessica. The dinner party ended early, and Dolores wanted to come."

"Dolores is perfect for the ETAs. She'll be an asset. I'll support her."

Marco slipped out of the flock of girls and came over to them. He signaled the bartender for another drink. He kissed Jessica's cheek, to the chagrin of the other girls, and slipped an arm around her waist.

"Great group."

"You should come to our Halloween party." Jessica looked up at Marco.

Alexei's heart beat faster. If only Jessica looked at me like that.

"We'll have fun. There's going to be a contest for best costumes, including best couple."

"I'll think about it. October 31?"

Jessica shook her head, dark hair shining. "No, Friday the 28th."

"I don't see Madison here. Is she sick?"

Jessica said, "She's in Greenville, visiting her sick father. She'll be back Sunday."

Marco removed his arm from Jessica. "I'll ask her if she would like to invite me to the party. We can design costumes."

"Good," said Jessica. "If she's not going with her boyfriend."

"They broke up." Marco smiled mockingly at Jessica. He understood her pursuit of him, and enjoyed taunting her. "I liked her from the first. We went to lunch and talked all afternoon."

That's why you weren't at class that day. Alexei caught his eye and shook his head slightly. I wonder what explanation you gave Ava?

"Did you?"

"Why don't you invite Alexei? He's good at disguises."

Jessica looked sideways at Alexei. He watched her hopefully. Finally, she smiled slightly. "Let's make it a foursome." She said, "different costumes, of course."

Marco nodded. "If Madison agrees. Alexei?"

"Good with me."

Dolores joined them. "It's twenty to twelve," she said. "We promised Mom and Dad we wouldn't be late."