Chapter 14

Alexei stood on thesecond-floor balcony, sipping his second cup of coffee as he looked at Edisto Street.  The flood waters had filled some of the lower streets and water pooled past the Reynolds's house. Adam and Alexei had sandbagged the gates, so the waters rose a few inches inside the wall and flowed through the crawl space under the house. The garage was flooded, but the men had moved the tools and stored items to safety. The cars were parked safely on upper floors of city garages. The golf cart was sitting up on cinderblocks out of the water.

Alexei went inside, changed into work clothes, and found Luis in the living room.

"Don Luis, I am going to volunteer for relief efforts."

Luis looked at him for a moment. "Sí, señor, but take Herberto or José with you."

"They may prefer to deal with matters at the house."

"I am glad to help. José can stay here, unless he is needed," said Herberto as he walked in. He looked at the clothes Alexei wore. "I'll change. I have rainboots."

An hour later Alexei and Herberto were at Adam's emergency unit headquarters. They received instructions and were assigned an area to patrol. Alexei had brought a canoe kept in the garage. They were assigned to a neighborhood that had flooded. He and Herberto towed the canoe through flooded areas or carried it in dryer streets. They helped evacuate people who had not left and now needed to. They carried drinking water and supplies to people who refused to leave. They hauled endless boxes and packages of supplies. They turned lost and abandoned animals over to a shelter.

They finished their patrol and headed down a flooded street to return to the fire station, when Alexei heard a tiny, shrill wail. It stopped, then started again.

"It sounds like a kitten," said Herberto. Alexei nodded and looked at the tree that was the source of the cries. Herberto pointed to a tree branch, where a damp red and white kitten huddled, crying piteously.

Alexei splashed over to the tree. He reached for the kitten, which watched him miserably, crying sadly every few seconds. He petted it, picked it up, and held it in his palm. It scrooched into a ball and mourned.

He took tissues from his pocket and dried the skinny kitten off as best he could. It seemed to like the attention and purred. He tucked it into his shirt pocket. It went silent, peering around. Metty had a cat. He wondered what she would think of the name Noah for this damp mite. Surprised at his thoughts, Alexei returned to the boat.

Alexei met Adam at the emergency HQ. There were bags under Adam's eyes, and he slumped with exhaustion. Alexei's hair had flopped, wet and damp, over his eyes, and he brushed it back.

"I'm going home for the night, Adam," he said. "I'll try to be back tomorrow by nine."

Adam looked at him gratefully. "You've done so much. Are you two sure you want to come back? Tío Sebastian might be concerned for you.

"God grant me the strength to work until everyone is safe. Until then, Popi knows I will help. See you tomorrow." He yawned. "We could both use a good night's sleep. You, too."

"And the kitten," said Adam.

"Yes, Noah needs milk and a warm bed. See you tomorrow."

*

The ground squished under Metty's feet as she carried groceries from the car to the house. Fortunately, their power had stayed on, and the roads around Sylvia's house were free of fallen trees and power lines.

Sylvia followed her with the rest of the groceries. The steps creaked as she walked onto the porch. Metty dried her shoes as best she could and left them by the mat. She went into the kitchen, followed by Sylvia. They put the groceries away. Metty put the cold and frozen items in the refrigerator.

"Mom, Grandma says we can return home tomorrow."

"If it's safe."

"Flood waters are down. Power's back. School starts day after tomorrow. Grandma is anxious about her house."

"She should sell that place and move here."

"Grandma Griffin's will left the house to Dad and us three kids. Dad left you his share. Cathy and Ben want their inheritance already. You and Bryan can get your own place. Grandma can live there."

Sylvia shrugged. "I want to stay here. Mom can have Ben's old room."

"You can't afford to buy us out unless Bryan chips in."

Sylvia shrugged. They knew Bryan would not help buy the house. She changed the subject. "What are you going to do when you graduate next May?"

"Probably stay with Grandma if she's still in West Ashley till I find a job and save to go to Boston."

"Any job leads?"

"It's a little early, but I think next summer I can work for Student Stars. I interned there last Spring, and the owner told me to check back when I graduated. I'll look for a permanent job with a school district."