Chapter 20

Metty looked around the small restaurant that would become PizzaFeast. It had large street windows, counter seats along one wall, and a few tables. She liked the decorations. The restaurant would be mostly takeout and delivery, but customers could eat in.

Angie walked out of the back room. "What do you think?"

"It's got real possibilities," Metty said. "Have you decided what you want for décor.

"Real simple. Darius said he wanted traditional Italian colors—red, white, and green. I thought mostly green. Paint the walls off white. The tables. No tablecloths. We've ordered wood tables, or some nice luncheonette sets. We're also going to do individual calzones, subs eventually. We want to keep prices low. There're expensive restaurants all over. Students are usually working, going to school, racking up student loans."

Metty sighed and shook her head. "Don't I know it. Thanks to living at home and scholarships and working, I'll only have about $4000 in loans when I graduate.

"Not bad."

Metty nodded. "Remember you took a food photography class?

"Yeah?"

"Maybe you could take pictures of your food, restaurant, people eating here. Post them on the walls. At least use them for social media. Customers might like looking for themselves."

"That's not a bad idea."

"You're going to have a TV. Run slideshows of pictures from here. That can go on your media, too."

"Good ideas. You're already adding value.

"Do I get a raise?"

"No profits yet. How about a free pizza?

"With pepperoni."

"I'll let Darius know. Next subject."

Metty looked at her, curious.

"You going to the fair?"

"I'm single since Albert left. Haven't even had a date."

Angie said. "Chet and I are going. He has a friend visiting from Chicago."

"Are you talking blind date?"

"Well, yes."

"Ignored by a guy who couldn't get a date is no fun."

Angie said, "He's a sous chef Darius worked with in New Orleans. Darius and Valerie will be there. Why stay home? Go out with the group."

Metty shrugged. "What night?"

"October 30. Saturday night."

"OK, I'm in. I'm off that night and the next."

"Great. We'll pick you up. I'll call with the time."

*

A few days later Alexei and Marco sat in the Student Union. Alexei corrected a draft while Marco surfed the internet. Alexei shook his pen a few times, then looked at Marco. Marco stopped typing and raised his eyes.

"My pen ran out of ink. Can I borrow one?

Marco looked at Alexei's paper. "It's black ink, not red."

"Doesn't matter." Alexei took the pen Marco held out and resumed proofing.

Madison walked up. Marco closed his webpage before she could read it. He moved over and she sat close to him.

"Do you guys have plans to go to the fair?" she asked.

"Fair"? Marco asked.

"Coastal Carolina Fair. Opening night is this Thursday."

"We hadn't planned to go," said Marco.

"We have dinner guests Thursday. Father Menuzo and his family," said Alexei.

"Want to go Saturday?" she asked. "Friday is the ETA Halloween party."

"It should be fun," said Marco. "Lights, rides, exhibits, games. What say, Alexei?

Alexei said, "We should see if Dolores would like to come."

"Fine. More the merrier," said Madison.

Jessica came to the table. "More is merrier for what?"

"We're going to the Carolina Fair," said Marco. "On Saturday. Want to join us?"

Jessica sat down next to Alexei, smiling at Marco. "Yeah, I'm free."

"Dolores and her current crush may come," said Marco. "She's rushing your sorority."

"That's fine. Dolores is a lot of fun. I've known Dolores since Don Sebastian's 70th birthday party a few years ago."

"That's right. The private party at Castelo Riado. You fell in the pool."

"You pushed me," Jessica grinned at Marco, who grinned back.

"And got in trouble for it."

Madison lips turned down. "We'll have fun. I've got to pick my mother up. Call me about Friday, Marco."

"Sure, as soon as we find out about Dolores."

Madison left, using her best runway saunter. She checked to see if Marco watched her. Satisfied, she moved slowly to the door.

"I've got to get back to my studies," said Marco, watching Madison. "I have a lot to do."

"I'll see you Friday, Marco. Call me about the time."

"I will or Alexei will," said Marco.

Jessica nodded and walked away.

"I could watch Madison walk all day," said Marco.

"She's got that runway strut," said Alexei. They watched as Madison pushed the door open, pausing a moment so her silhouette would be framed in the light.

"I thought you were distancing yourself from Madison," Alexei said.

"It'll be ok. We're going in a group."

Alexei checked his watch. "Four-thirty. We need to get home if we want to jog before dinner. What homework are you doing?"

"My alter ego on Facebook."

Alexei stared at Marco. "Did Madison see it?"

"No, I closed it before she sat down."

Alexei shook his head. "We'd better move along. I need to run. Ava doesn't like to keep dinner waiting."

"One of the things I like about this part of Charleston is that we can walk places," said Marco. Alexei nodded. "Difficult for us to do in Olympiakos or Ciudad Pompeo." They put their books and laptops in their backpacks.

"It was fun the day you pushed Jessica into the pool." Alexei grinned and shook his head, remembering. "You could see right through her dress. She was wearing a thong and no bra. Popi and Mamma were mad but all the men were staring."

"She meant to fall in. She came and shook me but that was an excuse to hug me."

Alexei said, "I know. If it had been me." He shrugged. "I don't seem to miss Jessica's attentions, now. Or the lack of them.

"I feel the same."

Alexei nodded. "Mamita took her inside and had her change into one of her dresses. Mamita said she never returned it."

Marco signaled to Herberto that they were leaving. Still talking, Marco pushed the door open and they walked out.