Chapter 41

Metty walked through the back door into the kitchen with fresh-cut pink camellias from bushes in the yard. She placed the bouquet in a vase and set it on the kitchen table. She adjusted a few stems and examined her handiwork. The table was set for seven. A smaller children's table was nearby. It even had one candlestick with a pink candle.

Metty googled proper settings for dinner and included bread and salad plates with appropriate forks. Sylvia had taken out the good china, and her silver-plated flatware. There were wine glasses and water glasses. She put a pitcher of ice water on the table. The Italian cream cake Darius baked sat on the counter in a cake dish. Everything looks good. I hope it tastes as good as it looks.

Sylvia Griffin disliked cooking, and was an indifferent cook. Surprisingly, on the few occasions Metty brought a boyfriend for dinner, Sylvia had gone out of her way to make a fine meal. This dinner was shaping up to be good.

Metty had bought condiments from a fresh bar instead of using canned. Olives, pickles, and three bottles of Red Moscato were ready. She had gotten a chunk of parmesan and grated it for fresh parmesan. A generous mound sat in a serving bowl with a smaller bowl on the children's table. She dug the corkscrew out of the container holding wooden spoons and other utensils.

"Mom? Where are the birthday candles?"

"Drawer by the refrigerator," Mrs. Griffin said, as she stirred the sauce.

"Do we have matches?"

"There's a click lighter in the silverware drawer."

Metty retrieved the light and candles, placing them by the cake. "Where are Bryan and Bryany," she asked.

Sylvia stopped stirring. She twisted to looked out the window in the back door. "Backyard." She tasted the sauce.

The doorbell rang. The front door opened. Metty glanced at the stove clock. Five-twenty-four. She'd told Alexei to arrive any time after 5:30 for dinner at six. She hurried into the living room to see her sister, Cathy, and her sons enter, followed by June.

"Mom? Metty? We're here," Cathy called as she shut the door. "Happy birthday, Marletta."

Richard, at ten, the elder son by 13 months, handed her a gift-wrapped box. "This is from the whole family," he said.

"I helped wrap it," said George, the younger brother.

Metty examined the much-taped box, with ribbon tied in a lopsided bow. She nodded approvingly. "Looks good. Thanks. I'll have to destroy your handiwork to see what's inside, though."

George bobbed happily. "It's a surprise."

Metty put the gift on the coffee table. "Mom is in the kitchen. Give me your coats. I'll put them in the bedroom."

"Spaghetti," said Cathy. "Smells good. Mom! Need any help?" She handed Metty her coat and walked into the kitchen.

*

The doorbell rang again. Metty opened the door for Marco and Alexei. Her smile lit up her face. Alexei came in and kissed her cheek.

"Happy birthday, cara."

A minute later Bryan opened the back door, slamming it behind him and Bryany.

"Where is everybody? Is dinner ready?" he called loudly.

"We're in the living room," said Sylvia. She hurried into the kitchen. She murmured softly. Bryan and Bryany went into the living room, Bryany hanging onto her father.

Marco and Alexei stood up. Metty introduced them.

"Don Marco, Don Alexei, this is Bryan Larson, my mother's partner, and their daughter, Bryany." They shook hands.

"Do we call you both Don?" Bryan asked, curling his lip.

"Don Marco or Don Alexei, is proper," said Marco. "Here, at home, with our friend, Metty, please call us Marco and Alexei.

Bryan raised an eyebrow. "Marco and Alexei. Are you brothers?"

"Cousins," said Alexei. "Thank you for inviting us to Metty's birthday party. We are happy to meet you."

"Dinner's ready," said Sylvia, from the kitchen door.

Marco offered June his arm. They walked into the kitchen, followed by the others.

The main table was set for seven, with one chair at each end, two on one side and three on the other.

"Where's everyone sitting?" Bryan asked.

"You and me at the ends," said Sylvia. "Alexei and Metty on that side." She smiled happily, proud of her dinner arrangements. "Mom, Cathy, and Marco on that side." She pointed to the three chairs.

Bryan looked at the table, at Bryany, and back at the table. "Where's Bryany going to sit?"

"At the children's table with Richard and George," said Sylvia, oblivious to the tension building. Bryany was warming up for a tantrum. Metty stiffened.

"I don't want to sit at the children's table." Bryany crossed her arms. "I want to sit at the grownup's table."

"There's really not room, Bryany," said Sylvia. "Let's sit down, everyone. Bryan, you at that end, Mom, and Marco, and--"

"Nooooo! I don't want to sit with the kids." Bryany wailed.

Sylvia looked around, dismayed. Bryan smirked.

"I'm ten, just like you," said Richard.

"NOT like me," Bryany said. "I'm almost 11." She turned to her father. "Daaaaad!"

"Of course, you can sit with us, darling," said Bryan.

Metty's lips thinned. If someone stopped them, Bryan would almost certainly leave with Bryany. He meant to disrupt her party one way or another.

"We'll just put your plate here. There's only two settings on this side." He reached for a plate on the children's table.

Alexei caught Marco's eye. He raised an eyebrow. Marco nodded once.

"No need, Mr. Larson," said Alexei. Bryan scowled at Alexei. Smiling blandly, he said, "Bryany can have my seat. I'll sit at the children's table. Join me there, Metty?"

"Sure." Metty moved a setting to the children's table.

Thwarted, but unsure how, Bryan sat down. Bryany flounced across the kitchen to sit next to her father.

"I'll get the dinner," said Sylvia quickly, before another argument started.

Marco held June's chair, and Alexei helped Cathy into hers, then seated Metty at the children's table. "Can I help you serve, Mrs. Griffin?" he asked.

Sylvia poured sauce over spaghetti on the first plate. "Thanks. This is for Bryan."

Alexei placed the spaghetti before Bryan. He spooned half the fresh grated parmesan on it and started eating.