Chapter 27

At Marco and Alexei's suite, Marco entered, but Alexei waited outside. "Mamita, Papa, I have something to tell you."

"Come in our suite, mijo," said Sergei.

They sat in comfortable chairs in the suite. Alexei looked at his parents. "I wish to stay in Charleston for the next semester. I have research and writing on my thesis for LSE. I want to complete my work obligation here next summer."

"That's a lot of time here," said Sancha. "Why so long?"

"I always planned to finish the school year here," he said. "I found a job that will fulfill the requirements of Fyodor Grigorievich's will." He hesitated, and said, "I have met someone."

"Jessica has finally decided you will do?" said Sergei, shaking his head. Sancha scowled. She disliked Jessica Winston before the girl kept the borrowed dress.

"No, no. Jessica was an infatuation that came to nothing. Gracias a Díos."

Sancha relaxed. "Who have you met here? What is she like? Her family?"

"Her name is Marletta Griffin. Metty."

"The girl who wrote the article with you," said Sancha, nodding. "That's how you met."

"Yes, Mamita. As I got to know her, I liked her more and more. I appreciate her kindness and consideration of others. She is studying to be a special education teacher. She knows sign language. Talking to her seems as easy and familiar as talking with you."

"What of her family? Her background. She must be approved by the Cortés or you lose your place in the succession when the new law passes."

"Her father retired from the US Air Force, and died when she was ten." He stopped. After a moment he continued. "He died when he was driving drunk. She has an older sister and brother. Her mother lives with a boyfriend and their young daughter. Metty graduates next May. I began to fall in love with her during the play."

"'Pride and Prejudice,'" said Sergei. "We will see it next Tuesday night."

Alexei nodded. "We'll have our first date the Saturday after you leave. I do not know if my love will grow or if she will love me. I know Charleston is the place to find out."

"God grant this love be true. Make sure first. I would not have you regret your decision," said Sergei. "A loveless marriage is a misery."

They talked for several minutes until Sancha yawned.

"Mijo, I am so tired. I look forward to meeting your young woman. At tea at Ava's, sí?"

Alexei nodded. "This Monday. Buenas noches, Mamita, Papa. Hasta mañana." Alexei kissed his mother goodnight, hugging her, and left for his room.