Chapter 42

The meal was as good as Metty hoped. She sprinkled parmesan on her spaghetti, then handed the cheese to Alexei. Soon everyone was eating. Alexei told the boys about learning to surf on Folly,  and listened to their stories about school and soccer.

At the other table Bryan finished his third glass of Moscato. He turned to Marco, who was talking to Cathy in Spanish.

"Don Marco."

Marco looked at Bryan, politely curious.

Bryan refilled his wineglass. "More wine, Marco?"

"Not yet, thanks."

Bryany stared at Marco, her eyes narrowed. "Are you really a prince?"

He smiled at her, and said easily, "Yes, I am Principe Marco de Almurias, at home."

"He's not a prince, is he? Metty's boyfriend. Alexei. The girls at school say he's not."

Marco thought for a minute. "Right, but we are both grandsons of Prince Sebastian, and Alexei's the heir of his father, Baron de Moreno."

"Will your wife become a princess?" Or do you have to marry a princess?"

"No. My bride does not have to be a princess, unless she was born one."

Bryany was silent. "So you don't have to marry a princess."

"I may marry the lady I lo—choose with the approval of Don Sebastian and the Cortés—the government of my country."

"Whoever Alexei marries will only be a lady baron?" She stared at Metty.

Marco blinked, looked at Alexei, and said, "Yes, a baron's wife is a baroness." Alexei looked over at them, puzzled.

Bryany smirked at Metty. "The girls at school got it wrong. They said you guys had to marry princesses. I just wanted to make sure."

Metty sighed and picked up her garlic bread. She broke off a piece and nibbled it.

"Bryany," Alexei said, "my wife will be my princess."

"That's not the same," Bryany pouted.

"If she loves me and we are happy, we'll rule our own private world." Alexei twirled spaghetti on his fork. "This spaghetti is delicious. You're lucky to have such a good cook, Mr. Larson." He ate the spaghetti, winking at Metty.

"Yeah," he growled. "Sylvia can cook good when she wants to, which isn't often. Metty burns water."

Marco turned to Cathy, "Cathy, you were telling me about your studies? In Spanish?"

"Yes," said Cathy. "I learned Spanish when Dad was stationed in Spain." They continued their conversation in Spanish.

An hour later they sat in the living room where Metty was to open her presents. She looked over the small pile. Bryan turned the TV on and found a sports program.

"Would you lower that TV," Sylvia asked, loudly. Bryan was embarrassing her again in front of guests, this time Metty's VIP friends.

Bryan lowered the volume a notch.

"It's still very loud," June said.

Bryan lowered it another notch. Commercials started. He went into the kitchen. The refrigerator door opened.

"Where's the beer?" he asked.

"I put beer on the shopping list," said Sylvia. "Let's sit down. Metty's going to open her presents."

Bryan went to the kitchen and returned with a large glass of wine. He plopped down in his seat and took a long swallow. "This stuff, whatever you got, is not so good. I'd rather have beer." He put the glass on the end table and turned the volume up.

Cathy came in and sat beside Bryan. She picked up the remote before he could grab it and muted the sound.

"Now we can hear. Thanks, Bryan," she said, setting the remote out of his reach. "Metty, what are your plans for next semester? After graduation?"

"Work at PizzaFeast till school starts, unless I can get a summer teaching job."

"We'll have a graduation dinner or party," Cathy said.

Bryan crossed his arms, his attention on the TV.

"Open our box first," said Richard. "It's from all of us." He handed her the card that accompanied it.

The card was signed by all Metty's family, although 'Sylvia, Bryan and Bryany' was in her mother's handwriting. Richard handed her the box. She tore off the gift wrap, handing it to Cathy. It was a new laptop. She smiled, delighted. "I wanted one of these. Thanks, it's great."

She opened the second card. It had a gift card for the Student Store at the College. "Thanks, Marco. This will come in handy."

"You're welcome."

Richard handed her the gift bag. She took out a card and a brightly wrapped box. She took out a pink envelope and opened it. Written inside was 'Felices Cumpleaños, Cara, Alexei.'

"Thank you, Alexei." She took the box out, examining the stiff, gold, wrapping paper and bright red ribbon. She pulled the ribbon off, slipped her finger under the paper and tore it off. The box read, 'Anson's Jewelry Box' in gold. Her eyes widened. Anson's was an exclusive store. People who shopped there claimed bragging rights.

She lifted the lid carefully, as though she expected the jewelry to fly out and escape. A gold bracelet with charms representing Charleston's history sparkled in the light. There was a pineapple, a palmetto with crescent moon, and other designs.

"It's lovely, Alexei," she said. She draped it over her wrist. It glowed against her skin, reflecting the light.

Alexei reached for her hand. He fastened the clasp. Her hand rested lightly in his. "I'm glad you like it, Metty. It made me think of our happy times in Charleston. I hope it will remind you of them."

"Good days. Nights to remember." She looked at him and smiled. He smiled back, squeezing her hand gently before releasing it.