Chapter 29

Monday at three Metty used the women's bathroom to change into a suit for tea at the Reynolds. She reviewed the advice she had gotten at lunch from Dolores and Alexei. He had suggested she ask Dolores any questions about etiquette.

"It's really easy, although a bit confusing until you get everyone straight," he said. "Dolores might explain it better than I can, since she understands American ways. I'll answer any questions you like, though."

"I appreciate it. I've never met a prince other than Marco," she said.

Metty and Dolores sat in the CofC café for lunch and talked for an hour. Alexei joined them. Dolores told her that serene highnesses did not receive curtseys, except that Sebastian, as Head of State, did, when he was appearing in office. He preferred to omit curtseys otherwise, especially at home or with family. Nonetheless, it was proper to stand when he first entered a room, and, if possible, to stand again when he left for the last time. As he had a habit of wandering around and about, it was hard to be sure when he was actually leaving. Almurians preferred to shake hands. Sebastian was to offer his hand first and lead the conversation. Same with Alma, Sancha, and Marco, who were also serene highnesses. This family tea would be more relaxed than formal.

"Just follow me," Dolores said. "I'll let you know when to go to the refreshments, and so on. Of course, Alexei will be with you. Marco is as easy to get along with as a lap dog."

"Thanks so much." Metty smiled. "I feel more relaxed now."

"There is one other thing," Alexei said. He looked uncomfortable.

Metty put her hand on his arm. "Tell me."

"The Winstons will be there. Jessica too. Adm. Winston is an old friend of Don Sebastian. One of his best friends."

"OK. Jessica will be there. What's that got to do with me?" She looked from Alexei to Dolores.

"Jessica, as you know, can be subtly critical when she is not happy," Alexei said.

Dolores nodded. "I got invited to join the ETAs," she said, "but I don't see much of Jessica. She's got a reputation. She's not pleased you're going to the dance with Alexei. She's made several derogatory comments about you. She turned him down but doesn't want anyone else to have him."

Metty shook her head. "It's just a dance. I don't want to break the date because Jessica doesn't like the idea."

"I don't, either. I just want you to be prepared for her sharp tongue," said Alexei.

"I'll try," she said. "Maybe Jessica should be prepared."

Alexei laughed. "We have to go. See you at tea, Metty."

*

Metty took a deep breath and knocked on the door at the Reynolds just before four o'clock. The housekeeper led her to the living room. Ava and Adam Reynolds, Jessica, an older man and woman who must be her parents, and Fr. Menuzo and his family were there. She didn't see Alexei, Marco, or Dolores. Calm down, girl, you can handle this.

Ava Reynolds came to meet her. "Hello, Metty. Let me present you to Don Sebastian and Doña Alma."

"Hello, Miss Griffin. Alexei has spoken of you. I look forward to seeing you and him in the play Tuesday," said Sebastian.

"Thank you, sir," Metty said. "I hope you enjoy it."

"I am sure we shall. I am an Austin fan," said Alma.

Metty looked at the tall Alma. She had been a beauty in her youth and was still attractive. She had the same smile as Alexei and Sancha but dark eyes.

Alexei and Marco came in the room, and Alexei came over to them. "Popi, Mamita, Mamma," he said. "Marco and I are late. Sorry. I meant to be here when the guests arrived."

"Jogging?"

"Sí, Popi, there were road repairs and we had to take a detour."

"Bueno, bueno. We have met your friend, Miss Griffin. Introduce her to Sancha and Sergei, OK?"

Alexei led Metty over to Sancha, who was talking to Adm. Winston. He introduced them and Sancha shook her hand. Winston barely touched Metty's fingers as he turned back to Sancha.

"Doña Sancha, the Naval Base on Isla Manta is scheduled for maintenance next spring. My government plans to hire local workers for housing repairs."

"That is welcome, Hiram," she said. She turned to Metty. "Let me present my husband, Don Sergei."

Sergei looked like Alexei would in twenty or so years, Metty thought, but dark complexioned and slimmer. He shook her hand. They chatted for a few minutes until Ava came over and offered Metty refreshments.

A few minutes later Metty was sitting on the couch with Sancha, Alexei, and Dolores, drinking tea and balancing a plate of sandwiches on her lap. They talked of Charleston and Summerville, the Leonardo's summer palace on Isla de las Ubreras and Christmas festivals in Almurias.

"They sound so interesting," said Metty. "I'll check them out online."

"The Epiphany parade is great," said Dolores. "Of course, we go skiing in Switzerland before Christmas. And in February if we're not stuck in school." She looked at her mother.

"You can go skiing here with your sister, Maria. Next year you can go to Switzerland on your break, Dolores, mija."

Metty remained quiet, sipping her tea. She was completely at a loss with people who spoke of skiing in Switzerland as she might speak of going to the beach for a day.

Mrs. Winston came over and sat between Sancha and Metty. The conversation shifted to their families and other things Metty had little knowledge of. She learned the Winstons had two sons, one at Annapolis and one in boarding school in Vermont.

Mrs. Winston spoke much of her family. They were obviously wealthy, and Jessica's grand debut last winter in Atlanta society. Metty could think of nothing to say, except "That must have been quite exciting."

Mrs. Winston turned to Metty, smiling tightly, and said that Dolores was to debut this December in Almurias. "It's going to be a grand event. She'll be the lead debutant. Royalty will attend," said Mrs. Winston."

Metty stared at her, unsure what to say. She squeaked out, "It's sounds lovely."

"Debuts are fine," said Sancha, "but not necessary these days. Most young women just get on with their lives. Metty, have you done your student teaching yet?"

"Yes," said Metty, "I'll work in a school next semester, too. "Working with hearing-impaired students."

"That must be quite challenging and marvelous," said Sancha. "I worked in banking before my marriage. Interesting at the time, but sometimes I wish I had studied art."

The conversation shifted to other topics. Just after five, the Winstons left. Metty followed them out. Alexei walked her to June's elderly Ford, parked two blocks away. She opened the driver's door and put her coat and purse inside.

"I'll see you tomorrow at the play," he said. "Don Sebastian and Doña Alma liked you very much."

"They were quite charming," Metty said, wondering if they had simply been polite. "I must go. The traffic is getting heavy. I have to start studying for exams."

"Drive safely," Alexei said. He lowered his head as if to kiss her goodbye but stopped. He held the door for her as she got in and shut. He waved as she drove off. He wished he could have kissed her goodbye.